Archived What are my options if Target ever throws me under the bus?

• Thread starter MrTaskMule
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrTaskMule

Ill keep this as short as possible so as to not bore you with unnecessary details. I am currently 26, and a junior in college. I have been working with Target since June of 2008. I was cart attendant for 2 years and guest service since then. They also trained me in cash office during the summer, and I have had intermittent hardlines shifts here and there since the beginning. It is worth noting that I was foolish enough to take on extra responsibilities without extra pay, so now I am essentially a fake GSA who has to cover GSTL lunches and breaks (and even shifts sometimes) , all without the proper title, paygrade, or being able to actually say on a resume that I supervised, not to mention they refuse to give me an override code. You can imagine how very pleased I was when a gstl and two gsas quit within a three week span so then they made the innately intuitive decision to promote two cashiers that were barely past their 90 days and a transfer who was instocks beforehand (this was my fourth pass over). And of course, they have steadfastly refused to remove me from the front end or transfer me to a different target, I have attempted over the years to gain employment at marginally better (paywise) retail/wholesalers such as Aldi, Costco and Trader Joes. I have landed at least one interview at each of these establishments and have had no success. My people skills are okay and I give good intellectual answers, but my brain insists on going into stuttering fool mode whenever an interview commences and my merits have been drowned out and I am forced to live in squalor and poverty. My whole family hates me now and I am unwelcome on holiday visits due to my income. I should graduate by the end of 2015 with my Bachelors. I dont care too much about what happens AFTER that because at least my family wont hate me then, but I am worried that I will fired before then and I need to remain employed to finish up with college. I make about a $1.50 an hour more per hour than a new TM would (due to decent reviews) and I am worried that they will get rid of me because of that. And even in a world where experience is literally everything I cant get other retail work for whatever inexplicable reason. I cant go to work in fast food either. I always interview really well for fast food but It's always implied that they dont hire me because they would have to cut me to minimum wage and they are worried that ill leave soon after I get hired. I feel like I am at a point where I have worked at one place "too long" and that people looking at my resume have assumed I am either a pothead or a sloth with no ambition and I just get binned. Also, I cant join the armed Forces because I cant do pull-ups for some reason (my 95 on the ASVAB apparently counted for nothing) Sorry if it sounds like a melodramatic soliloquy. I assure you Im not a negative person, and I am always humble. I cant figure out how so many people can regularly leave target regularly... It's not so bad, having a job is better than no job by far, and I can take it for another 2 years, I just want to know what my options are If i get canned and how i can explain the long tenure at target to judgmental interviewers. If you made it this far, congratulations. Thank you for listening and I appreciate any insight.

Welcome! Hang in there. Ck with your city/county employment agency, there is a program called Workforce that help you improve your interview skills & resume. They offer computer training too.
Here is link for our job search thread:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2547-The-Job-Search-Resource-Thread
I see there is a lot of politics at your store, since they have passed you over for the GSA job.

Last edited:
Welcome to The Break Room.

You will succeed.
I know it doesn't feel like it right now but you have the tools and that goes a long way.
What you do have is depression and that needs to be treated.
If you can't afford that, look into some of the free clinics etc.
As to your family I don't know if that's your depression talking or how they are really treating you but if it is fie on them.

The stuff going on the store is really not that important in the long run for you.
It's not your future, it's not your career.
They can screw you over all they want and in the long run it's their loss.

Take care of yourself, get out in the world, go to the job center, fight for what's yours and get treatment.
I know some of what you're feeling, it can't last.

Last edited:
Take it like a man and don't fight it. If Target wants to get rid of you, they will. There is nothing you can do about it. You will have no advocate or confidant there for you. No one will be on your side. The best advice is keep your mouth shut and basically follow the "yes and nod". That means you say yes and nod your head when talking to ETLs.

You stated you were in college?

Does your college have a career services department? Or career adviser? Look into it... I know my college offers job hunting assistance for both jobs AFTER graduating and part-time jobs for those in school.

They have be able to assist you with interview, resume, and job hunting skills. Or ask a trusted professor.

Looks like I need this thread again. Yeah... they said they're gonna start coaching people if they don't maintain a 3 percent conversion. I am done for sure now. Ever since we switched to IGS format, my percentage has been abysmal. I still have two years left of school and I need to keep working. Anybody know of retailers grocers where you dont have to hock predatory cards (somewhere that's not impossible to get into i.e. Aldi or Costco)? And no, they're not gonna let me switch to a non-front end position.

If you do decide to stay they should have no problem moving you to food avenue if you ask. Although I would suspect food ave has a high turnover rate and no one wants to work there.. It isn't bad once you get the hang of it.

Plus all you gotta worry about in Foodave is vibe scores, surveys, and keeping the place clean for steritech.

Wow this actually sounds like you wrote the story of my life at spot... Started as a high school job in summer of 2007 and came back after college. I'm working on the same thing right now, I actually liked working here until I kept getting passed up for training in other areas but coached for a low conversion... Obviously if I'm not doing well I shouldn't be working in the front?
I completely understand though... Just keep your eyes open for jobs. Make job websites like indeed and monster your first check in the morning and last at night. Also, if you're attending a physical college (vs. online) they should offer SOME sort of career counseling option that could help you with mock interviews. Next time you interview, just remember that they just want to get to know your history and skills. They obviously liked something about you for them to offer you an interview, so that should make you feel good, right? There's a book on the kindle store that you can get on your computer called "101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" that might help you prepare some talking points :)

Plus all you gotta worry about in Foodave is vibe scores, surveys, and keeping the place clean for steritech.

It sounds like a Caribbean cruise compared to IGS. Basically just dont screw up food safety or piss off guests ( I never see angry guests over there) I would very much like it if my ETLs forgot I exist. Sign me the hell up

My college has advisors for careers/internships/etc, and a job-posting board for student jobs on and off campus. Does yours offer anything like that? Usually they have some kind of program that can help you reach out to find a job related to your degree

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back