Archived What are Target TPS for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was this incident where a guest came in acting horrible and causing ruckus, hit our manager and injured a few guests. We couldn't get her to calm down And our TPS didn't even come out.
So my question is what are they really there for then? The guys in uniform
could they have stepped in to do something?

Last edited:
He can do what we call a "Trespass" notice, and permanently ban the guest from Coming back to that or ALL store locations for a year, or more. They can not, and I repeat not, arrest a guest, but ask them to leave the store. If such guest refuses, Police can be called to re-enforce the no trespassing.

And if that Guests decides to come back, after being given a notice, Police can also be called...

However, to answer your question. TPS is a man in uniform is sort of a illusion. It brings piece of mind to guests that there safe & secure. While the TPS, cannot physically arrest or detain a dangerous or bad guest, they can Ban. Which, is less of a liability to Target, and is less of a threat to a guests around him/her.

He can do what we call a "Trespass" notice, and permanently ban the guest from Coming back to that or ALL store locations for a year, or more. They can not, and I repeat not, arrest a guest, but ask them to leave the store. If such guest refuses, Police can be called to re-enforce the no trespassing.

And if that Guests decides to come back, after being given a notice, Police can also be called...

However, to answer your question. TPS is a man in uniform is sort of a illusion. It brings piece of mind to guests that there safe & secure. While the TPS, cannot physically arrest or detain a dangerous or bad guest, they can Ban. Which, is less of a liability to Target, and is less of a threat to a guests around him/her.
Take my statement from personal experience and is not ok by Target.

I have been given the a-ok to arrest someone for the following reasons.

1 Assault
2. Sexual misconduct (like groping a child)
3.Some one pushing out $5000 of merch.

Not ok by Target. But the BP and TL said fine by them only abd only if everything went smoothly.

Was he aware the situation was even happening? He was and didnt atleast attempt to call 911 then yes.
During NVI they taught him like crazy stuff to yell at people to get them to go away. Also if he were to be attacked.

I don't know if ya'll have seen those videos on YouTube, but in those videos AP or TPS actually go after the suspects? And if their lucky enough actually apprehend them.

If something happens to you guys, you need to radio for HARDLINES 4, HARDLINES 4 AND YOUR LOCATION. Don't ever sit arround and just take it, if AP is not around, hold the mic button. Atleast someone will know what's going on, and you'll be surrounded with help.

Last edited:
Hardlines 4? Not sure if that applies to every store?

I'm still not sure what to call out if, say, I saw someone steal something or caused a scene. Apart from calling my AP-ETL on 1, not sure if I'd call LOD or what. I think AP sits on 6 at my store, not entirely sure though.

Hardlines 4? Not sure if that applies to every store?

I'm still not sure what to call out if, say, I saw someone steal something or caused a scene. Apart from calling my AP-ETL on 1, not sure if I'd call LOD or what. I think AP sits on 6 at my store, not entirely sure though.

Hardlines 4 is walkie code for AP. Some stores may use a different code - I think someone posted a while back that their store uses "Softlines B." Channel 6 is AP's private channel, but someone should be listening on 1 for Hardlines 4 calls. If there is no AP at the time, then I think the LOD answers (that's what my store does, anyways).

I think the TPS was being a little girl, when I was TPS I used verbal de escalation plenty of times and even used handcuffs

So it's TPS's job to handle that situation, but any TM could have done what TPS was supposed to do?

so a guest just came in and started knocking people out? MY TPS team aren't pussies, they woulda got em. If a guest came in the STORE and started knocking people out, he needs to get apprehended.

1 Assault

Not ok by Target. But the BP and TL said fine by them only abd only if everything went smoothly.

Dude, you cannot arrest anyone. Let me say that again, YOU cannot ARREST anyone. When you handcuff your girlfriend to the bed, have you arrest her? Nope. Handcuffing the bad guy to the bench in the AP office does not mean they are "arrested." Detained? Yes. Arrested? Not even.

1 Assault

Dude, you cannot arrest anyone. Let me say that again, YOU cannot ARREST anyone. When you handcuff your girlfriend to the bed, have you arrest her? Nope. Handcuffing the bad guy to the bench in the AP office does not mean they are "arrested." Detained? Yes. Arrested? Not even.

You knew the point that I was getting at.

If a guest is being disruptive, the protocol I teach all my TPS is:

1. Assess situation
2. Ask guest to leave
3. If guest refuses to leave, inform them you will have local PD remove them
4. Call local PD

If at ANY time the guest poses an immediate physical threat to guests or team members, utilize NVI techniques to de-escalate the situation and have the LOD call 911
(This includes the use of handcuffs if necessary)

No offense to any TPS's here, but I have to say that every single TPS (and even APS) I have ever met have been a few donuts short of a dozen.....

My favorite was a TPS I had to deal with for about a year when I was the electronics TL back at my old store. The guy created this paranoid conspiracy theory that every muslim who bought a cell phone was really a terrorist who was going to use the phone to call al queda or set off a bomb. Not even kidding - the dude literally thought this and glared at every muslim that came in the store.

Eventually the idiot started to call me on the phone from the AP office every time someone someone who looked brown was buying a cell phone. My favorite memory of him?

<Phone rings in electronics>
Him: Hey, that guy you sold the phone to, was he acting weird,d?
Me: Uh... no....
Him: Ok, well I'm going to get his license plate and add it to my list when he leaves the store just incase he is going use it to set off a bomb or call some friend in pakistan and the feds need his information.
Me: Uh... the guy is speaking spanish to his girlfriend... pretty sure he is probably from Mexico.
Him: Oh.... uhhhh... ok... cool.
Me: Yea... what list are you talking about?
Him: I got a list of like 50 license plates, so if a bomb goes off I am sending it to the feds for a list of suspects.
Me: Uh... ok.
Him: Ok thanks for your help. Let me know if anyone suspicious comes in.
Me: ok.

Dude was a complete joke and everyone at the store either felt sad for him or hated him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back