Archived What Did Targets look like before pFresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store looked exactly like that back when it was a decent place to work, before the remodel and staff cuts.

This seems like an old store with a limited market.

remodellings.png

In fact, here's 218 pictures of the Ames, Iowa store being remodeled in 2010: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fourstarcashiernathan/sets/72157624642733431

(I still have that chair on the right in IMG1706; got it on clearance for $30. Sit on it daily)
Thank you, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And wow, it seems so weird without there being RED everywhere. Really couldn't even tell it was Target without the shopping cart and 5% banners on every aisle.

I REMEMBER THOSE OLD SIGNS. The Target way back where I used to live had these maps of arrows.

Home decor ->
<- Kitchen

like that.

Here is what the former great lands looked like.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10073060@N00/6842500102/

Ah Greatlands aka what my store is a relic of. Green doors, blue doors :D

My first store I was a GSA at was a Greatlands converted Super-Target.

The walkie ladie would always say "Additional Cashiers - GREEN SIDE!" or "Additional Cashiers - BLUE SIDE!" lol.

They still say that at my super

I'm not sure what my store is, it has blue and green doors, but it just says "Target". The exterior resembles Greatlands/Super Targets, but the interior is just that of a regular Target. It's like they meant to create a Greatlands but dropped the idea?

remodellings.png

In fact, here's 218 pictures of the Ames, Iowa store being remodeled in 2010: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fourstarcashiernathan/sets/72157624642733431

(I still have that chair on the right in IMG1706; got it on clearance for $30. Sit on it daily)
Thank you, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And wow, it seems so weird without there being RED everywhere. Really couldn't even tell it was Target without the shopping cart and 5% banners on every aisle.
I don't know why but I hate those different colored neon lights. A older Super T near me has them. It just looks ugly.

remodellings.png

I don't know why but I hate those different colored neon lights. A older Super T near me has them. It just looks ugly.
They used to be color coded. Green for green side, red for red side & blue for blue side. After remodel, some of ours were taken down.

Before my current store moved, it was one of the earlier GM Targets. There was a garden center, a real automotive section with a 3 bay garage, a grill at food ave, barely any groceries (just a few aisles of dry goods, a couple coolers and freezers), diapers stocked in market, VHS tapes to play the channel RED loop (you had to rewind it...you did this to yourself lol), color coded signs...

Things were way different then. Once my store moved to its current location and was christened with a new number, it was a P04 prototype. A few years after we lost the photo lab which got replaced with a closet. A couple of years ago we went through the PFresh remodel. The home decor, furniture, and housewares departments got all jumbled up in the middle of the store. We got many more freezers and coolers obviously, market aisles expanded from 24' to 40' and went from 19 aisles to 42 aisles. Seasonal moved from the middle of the side of the store to crammed into the back corner. We lost about two full aisles of space. Most departments shrank a considerable amount. We lost 8 feet of space on the shoes, intimates, and active wear floor pads. We lost a ton of room in the backroom in both light duty and bulk/receiving to make room for coolers and the freezer.

Last edited:
The store I'm at opened as a pfresh...one close to the house remodeled into one before my store was even open I think...

I'm not sure what my store is, it has blue and green doors, but it just says "Target". The exterior resembles Greatlands/Super Targets, but the interior is just that of a regular Target. It's like they meant to create a Greatlands but dropped the idea?

When did your store open? It might've been a Greatland when it opened.

In 96', would they have changed the signs? Edit: when I was in NC there was a greatlands that weirdly resembled my store lol.

In 96', would they have changed the signs? Edit: when I was in NC there was a greatlands that weirdly resembled my store lol.

Yeah, Greatlands have largely (if not completely) been phased out at this point in favor of P-Fresh.

Yeah, Greatlands have largely (if not completely) been phased out at this point in favor of P-Fresh.
What was/is the difference between Greatlands and regular targets? I know that Super Targets are at least 220,000 sq ft. But what makes Greatlands so special? Lol

Greatlands had slightly higher sq footage, and two front-facing entrances.

The racetracks were wider and planograms were longer. They shrunk stationary and housewares when we remodeled to pfresh. The gondolas went from 24 ft runs to 16.

All they did was put tarps around our garden center. They didn't even use it as extra space like they said they were going to. It would be nice to actually have seasonal out there and get some of our other department sizes back

All they did was put tarps around our garden center. They didn't even use it as extra space like they said they were going to. It would be nice to actually have seasonal out there and get some of our other department sizes back

They did the same thing with the store by my old place. However, now that I work for Spot it makes sense. Their garden center and food ave share a wall and the GC does not fully connect with any useful part of the store.

They did the same thing with the store by my old place. However, now that I work for Spot it makes sense. Their garden center and food ave share a wall and the GC does not fully connect with any useful part of the store.
Ours connects with chemicals/paper and our backroom. Right now it is just the signing graveyard, until we start storing our bikes out there for christmas

Years ago, Target didn't have any groceries. The selections have grown over the years in non-SuperTargets, leading up to the rollout of P-Fresh.
Ah see, so there wasn't a grocery section! Then my burning question is still: What was in that space before?! SOMETHING had to go, and I guess I just have a weird fascination in knowing what had to go. Is this where we used to keep all the RIT guests always ask for? :rolleyes:
At my old store mini seasonal used to be where most of grocery was. When they put in the initial backwall cooler/freezers, they killed mini and removed some checklanes to expand grocery. Mini seasonal ended up in the back of the store. I'm not sure what the conversion would have been after that as they closed our store instead of getting a pfresh remodel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back