Archived What do you say when you are calling in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. I don't want to go to work today so just wondering what do I say that isn't I'm sick?

Spot isn't actually ALLOWED to ask what's wrong, directly. They can say "Is everything alright?", and from there, if you offer any other information... That's up to you.

"I won't be able to make it in today. Sorry.", is all that's needed. Anymore detail you provide is up to you.

Be careful about lying and making up excuses. You don't want to inadvertently get caught in your own misdirection. I've had coworkers call out before, then immediately post/get tagged on Facebook about a party or other activity... Which the Team Lead that night then saw. Awesome way to get written up right there. :hang2::facepalm:

"I can't come in today." That's it. I don't tell them why. I told them I'd be calling out for funerals beforehand so they could try to find a replacement earlier.

Our store has a bad habit of TMs calling in on really nice days or weekends especially. Therefore when people call in the TLs or ETLs are asking "Are you sick? You are? OK bring in a doctor's note when you're in next". What isn't helping is sometimes these team members are begging their TLs for the day off without a reason so then in turn they call in. Management isn't happy and you can't blame them!

"Are you sick? You are? OK bring in a doctor's note when you're in next".

The problem with this policy is, some Team Members are genuinely sick, and they simply cannot afford to go visit the doctor. They don't have health insurance, and they cannot afford to pay out of pocket for the visit.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and put this here.

If you are ill or faking ill, the operator doesn't care. Do not go into detail just how sick you are. We don't need to hear about that and definitely don't want to! Save it for the LOD.

I've had coworkers call out before, then immediately post/get tagged on Facebook about a party or other activity... Which the Team Lead that night then saw. Awesome way to get written up right there. :hang2::facepalm:

one of multiple reasons not to be friends with co-workers on Facebook...

just be vague about "what's wrong" and don't make a fuss about it the next day. the more tou talk, the guiltier you'd look. of course, if you actually are sick/unable to work, it works a lot better...

You could always say your car won't start.

Of course, it can't start if you don't put the keys in it. ;)

They will offer to have someone drive out to get you. What they may not tell you is that they make that person clock out before leaving the store and then clock back in after they get you.

What do I tell them? The truth, generally. I've worked on TM reliability-heavy areas for a few years now and when someone calls out, it ruins the entire day because one person will get slammed with all the additional work that can't be left or passed on to someone else (hello, Food Ave). I would never cause that kind of stress to my fellow TM's unless I was pretty ill. If you just couldn't be bothered to get your time off request in on time or ask around to find someone to take your shift, well, you don't have a whole lot of sympathy from me.

Obviously it's different on open-ended areas of the store like cashiering or sales floor where you make do or call someone in, but where I usually work means there typically isn't anyone trained that we COULD call in even if we wanted to. Not. cool.

Target actually isn't allowed to write you up for that. They should have called the helpline on that way.

I'm at the hospital, I won't be able to come in today.

You could be visiting a friend, going for a checkup, driving by ...
Unfortunately the only times I've ever used it I've actually been admitted to the hospital.

Can't get out of my house because of the SWAT/HazMat/assorted police vehicles blocking my end of the block because some nutjob down the street decided to practice some creative alchemy & freaked out when the authorities converged.
Watch the news & I'll wave at the cameras.

I'm usually honest and tell them briefly whatever the reason is I can't come in. I always get really anxious beforehand. >.< I hate calling out.

I want to say "I'm not available" when I am scheduled on the one(!) day I specifically requested to not be scheduled. After the week I've had, I just may...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back