Archived What do you think of the interview process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new hire, and a new member of this forum, I was wondering what the experienced employees think of Target's interview process.

I had two very short interviews. The first was over the phone, the next was in-person. At each one, I was only asked three or four generic "What would you do..." or "Tell me about time when..." questions. After answering, I was rarely given more of a response than "Hmm."

I'm glad to have gotten the job, but I've never had such brief interviews before. Every other company has always asked several questions that were related to my skills and experiences, judging by what they saw on my resume and application. I wonder if this particular store is really getting a feel for who they hire. Are your stores like this as well? Does this bother you?

As a new hire, and a new member of this forum, I was wondering what the experienced employees think of Target's interview process.

I had two very short interviews. The first was over the phone, the next was in-person. At each one, I was only asked three or four generic "What would you do..." or "Tell me about time when..." questions. After answering, I was rarely given more of a response than "Hmm."

I'm glad to have gotten the job, but I've never had such brief interviews before. Every other company has always asked several questions that were related to my skills and experiences, judging by what they saw on my resume and application. I wonder if this particular store is really getting a feel for who they hire. Are your stores like this as well? Does this bother you?

Target is apparently trying to simplify the interview process, which, IMO, is a great thing.

Target was starting to go overboard. Two interviews with about 20 questions for a TM making $7.25/hour? It's a job at Target, not AT&T.

Honestly as a TL, I knew if someone was going to be a capable TM within 5 minutes of interviewing them..... and any TL/ETL who isn't new in role should be able to make that same determination. You honestly don't need tons of questions and two face to face interviews in order to make that determination.

Also, I really never gave a damn if someone I was interviewing could "tell me about a time you had to do many things at once". (which was probably going to be random BS they just made up anyway)

Also, I really never gave a damn if someone I was interviewing could "tell me about a time you had to do many things at once". (which was probably going to be random BS they just made up anyway)

I actually had that question in my phone interview, haha. But I couldn't really tell them about a particular time, since doing more than one thing at a time has been a daily occurrence at nearly every job I've had.

I actually interviewed at 2 different (in 2 states) Target stores.....both were 2 in person interviews. I only got a few questions from everybody (they filled out the forms while talking to me...made me laugh) Spent more time waiting than interviewing in both cases. I think stream lining is a good thing if we get any stickers.

I actually interviewed at 2 different (in 2 states) Target stores.....both were 2 in person interviews. I only got a few questions from everybody (they filled out the forms while talking to me...made me laugh) Spent more time waiting than interviewing in both cases. I think stream lining is a good thing if we get any stickers.

Interview is important. Good luck for you.

Spot's new hiring guidelines are more concerned with new TMs who can Vibe and have Amazing Moments with guests. I actually saw on Workbench where it said in the past we would be too concerned about a candidate's experience and how they deal with tasks. Remember, don't put your tasks first, put the Guest first. Of course, if we don't get the product to the floor it's going to be hard to be Amazing.

Should we give him the benefit of the doubt or kick him out?
Lets see if they response?
Spot's new hiring guidelines are more concerned with new TMs who can Vibe and have Amazing Moments with guests. I actually saw on Workbench where it said in the past we would be too concerned about a candidate's experience and how they deal with tasks. Remember, don't put your tasks first, put the Guest first. Of course, if we don't get the product to the floor it's going to be hard to be Amazing.
I am feeling the vibe! Let me get it for you from the backroom.

I think the interview process is a joke and this Vibe effort makes it worse. Pre-Vibe the least important factor to me was the questions. I always looked more at how they present themselves, how they interact with a complete stranger, and how determined they appear. Anyone can make up a story of how awesome an employee they are and how perfect their guest service is. Now that our participation in the hiring process is cut down to a conversation over the phone, that aspect of meeting someone is completely ripped away. It also couldnt be worse timing to roll out this new process now that we have to start hiring half the population for 4th quarter.

Please tell me you aren't complaining because you became employed too easily. Target does a full background check, drug tests, 2 to 3 interviews, some of which can be quite lengthy, assessment tests, etc. I'm the opposite, I can't wait for the day employers are forced to PAY potential candidates for the many hours the interview process can take!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back