Archived What i've learned, backroom! ntm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so, I've been here at target for about 6 weeks. My main job is backroom, pulling auto's, pushing and back-stocking and Tm's from flow aren't happy with my performance however backroom Tm's are like "he's new and this area is harder than flow to learn." well then flow Tm's get mad and today i had a flow TL take over backroom and he took it out on me and forced me to work backstock alone while everyone else went to p-fresh just because I'm slower than anyone else. Today I learned two important things, one I was told the Tm's that have been here for 2-6 years have gotten a pulling system and they also cheat to pull faster and get it out there and the other thing is to pull faster and push faster. Here's where I'm lost, is there anything I can do to help me push faster? I always put a tub and repack box in every isle that I'm going to is there a trick i can do to get faster?
Thanks
The Beast

they also cheat to pull faster

How do you cheat on a pull to pull faster? You have to scan it regardless, of how you do it so I don't understand how they are cheating to pull faster?

I always put a tub and repack box in every isle that I'm going to

You should be using the 3-tiers for pulls, tubs for bigger pulls i.e. beds, plug, bath (sometimes). Using a repack box is counterproductive to me, you first have to take the time to go get repack boxes and if you run out you have to go again to get more, then your throwing everything in the box (if your straightening it up your wasting time and might as well use a 3-tier anyhow), then the flow team will have to sort through it causing them a delay in working the pull.

As far as for getting faster, learn your stockroom where all the aisles are and where everything goes so that when you have something to backstock, and pull you wont have to think about it you can just do it. Think about the steps your taking is there anything you can do to shortcut something. My team when they pull they pull an entire block, for instance they pull all of toys, sports, bike from the stockroom then go to bulk if necessary and then take all out to the floor. This is 1 trip to that block and done. If they pull something that goes to someone else's block they give that cart to them for them to take when they go to whatever block.
Less steps should be your mantra, and don't be afraid to ask what you can do to speed things up. Your halfway to your 90 days and before you know it you'll be sitting down with your TL in regards to how your doing and if your keeping your job or not.

Cheating to pull faster? i cant see how to make that possible, unless there burning batches to make their pulls smaller, which is probably what they are doing. If you don't know what burning is, its when you "shift 7" and backstock the item right after it was pulled.

and yes, backroom is a harder position to learn, especially since you've only been there for 6 weeks, your flow team needs to chill out, because they aren't so perfect either. As for working faster, all i can say is work with a major sense of urgency, and listen to what backroomdude said...

It's pretty much all been said already, except this: get with your team leader, or ETL, or anyone in charge. If you have questions about your performance, about other people, about your work center, ask the person in charge.

Working in the backroom has a pretty steep learning curve, the more familiar you are with the process and your own backroom the faster you'll be. Don't be offended if you got pushed to the side because you are new, that will happen. Just keep asking questions and learning and trying to improve. But definitely communicate with your leadership, they should be able to give you more important and relevant advice as to what you should do and can improve upon than you can get off the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back