Archived What makes an awesome ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcardroy

ETL-AP
Hello all,

I apologize if this thread already exists, although I couldn't find one after searching.

Gaining trust, respect, and dedication as a manager while also balancing team performance is an art. I would like to know what makes an amazing ETL. From team members, tl's, other etls, stls, etc. What are the things a training ETL (or ETL intern) can do to gain the trust, respect, and dedication of their peers?

If you're a member of management, I'd love to hear the things you do that your team really appreciates as well.

My goal is for this to be a thread to exchange tips and suggestions.

• Get your hands dirty.
  • Never ask a team member to do something you yourself wouldn't do.
  • Remember that you are the example so if you're tweeting all day or on pinterest then your team will be as well.
  • Mean what you say.
  • It's ok not to know something but do what you can to find out the answer in a timely manner.
  • Respect, it does a long way

Personally, my fave ETLs are the ones who leave me be. Not like, completely alone all day but I don't need them asking me how X is coming along every 10 minutes and stacking task after task before I'm even done with the first one. Most of the time, TMs know what they're supposed to do and it's pretty stressful to have them hovering over you constantly. Logo hit a lot of good points too, a lot of my ETLs as TMs/TLs to do the things they don't want to do. I'll actually argue back at my ETLs if they ask something of me I find ridiculous. We actually have respect for each other though, so we always end up with a compromise and they don't take my complaining too seriously since they know it's always out of concern for my department.

My favorite ETL is the ETL that knows how to do their job, has a bit of common sense, and has realistic expectations rather than corporate expectations.

• Get your hands dirty.
  • Never ask a team member to do something you yourself wouldn't do.
  • Remember that you are the example so if you're tweeting all day or on pinterest then your team will be as well.
  • Mean what you say.
  • It's ok not to know something but do what you can to find out the answer in a timely manner.
  • Respect, it does a long way
All of the above and:
  • Understand what it means to be an hourly TM. When you overspend in one area it means someone else somewhere else in the store has to go home early. Be mindful of that.
  • Coach for results not to be an ass. Follow up with the TMs. Close the gaps and set realistic expectation.
  • Give recognition when needed.
  • Ask the team to offer their expertise and share their ideas.
  • Train and develop your team as if one day they would have to take your spot.
  • Last but not least: as an ETL you are friendly to your TMs but you are NOT their friend

I just think an ETL should help work in the area they lead, and be willing to help out in other they don't if needed. Most of my ETLs are fuckwits that stick to their areas and let other sections suffer if for some reason they have a problem. I also respect an ETL that understands that we can't work as fast as they want us to and sets reachable goals. I want an ETL that says "Get as many of the pulls on the line done as fast as you can, I'll check up with you in X amount of time" instead of "Get those three HBA pulls done in 20 minutes".

Give reasonable hours while protecting your vets.

Giving a new tm 4 hours and your vets 40 isn't fair but giving your reliable vets 20 hours is a bad idea and you'll lose their support. A 32/12 split is much more equitable.

I think an ETL should get to know their TMS on a personal level. Giving them some grace with scheduling preferences is a great way to drive loyalty.

Thanks for all the input. When it comes to training colleagues, I've always wanted to be told and shown exactly how to do something before I do it. That's just my learning style. Of course some people see that as information overload and are better left with just a basic explanation of how to do a task. In my experience, it's helpful asking the person you're training if they'd like to see you do the task after you explain it and then check up on them a few times at first to make sure they understand.

Also, something I learned a while back is getting to know what motivates your colleagues. My old GM at BestBuy would ask 'what motivates you' at interviews. Of course cash incentives are great, but they're obviously not practical all the time. I understand Target uses those appreciation cards. Are those helpful? What other motivators have you found successful?

Giving them some grace with scheduling preferences is a great way to drive loyalty.

This. My store seems to be losing people left and right but when a TM requests certain availability changes (usually on the weekends), they are denied. Why wouldn't you give the TM what they want and *keep* them happy and working at your store rather than saying no, risk them quitting and becoming even more short-staffed?

This. My store seems to be losing people left and right but when a TM requests certain availability changes (usually on the weekends), they are denied. Why wouldn't you give the TM what they want and *keep* them happy and working at your store rather than saying no, risk them quitting and becoming even more short-staffed?
People requesting weekends off in their availability is forbidden at my store. Weekends are retail's busiest time, why would anyone be permitted to have that off? The key is being fair and consistent. Prioritizing giving TMs who have worked at Target longer longer hours? That's not fair either. If you want hours in retail, open your availability, cross-train in multiple work centers, and volunteer to be an individual who wants to be called in. It's the harsh truth, but anyone is replaceable. I'd rather employ someone who is flexible and works at a consistent pace, than someone who complains about their hours but works very urgently.

I understand Target uses those appreciation cards. Are those helpful? What other motivators have you found successful?
In my opinion, no. Most of the ones in my store are generic as hell and it's usually because the STL or ETL HR wants more written. They don't feel genuine to me. I get most happy when my E/TL straight out tells me good job and why it was a good job. My TL tells me things like "I'm really impressed you x so quickly" or "Thanks so much for all your hard work in x it looks amazing."

Also sometimes my bosses buy me Starbucks/food either just cos or because they wanna motivate me in the mornings (because I am so far from a morning person it's a wonder I even function at work) and I think that's pretty rad.

People requesting weekends off in their availability is forbidden at my store. Weekends are retail's busiest time, why would anyone be permitted to have that off? The key is being fair and consistent. Prioritizing giving TMs who have worked at Target longer longer hours? That's not fair either. If you want hours in retail, open your availability, cross-train in multiple work centers, and volunteer to be an individual who wants to be called in. It's the harsh truth, but anyone is replaceable. I'd rather employ someone who is flexible and works at a consistent pace, than someone who complains about their hours but works very urgently.
Nights and weekends are pretty much a requirement here too. At least one weekend day, if not both. Cut your availability in the first 90 days and you'll likely leave because you aren't getting hours...

I think what makes an awesome ETL is:
-someone not afraid to get his/her hands dirty. Learn the entire store. You should at least know the basics of every workcenter's responsibilities.
-someone who listens to team members and does not play favorites.
-someone who gives recognition when appropriate. a simple "hey so and so, thank you, i saw you put a lot of effort into blah blah"
-someone who doesn't act like a dictator or like they know everything because they are an ETL.

My biggest issues with my leadership are favoritism and ignorance. They shouldn't have favorites/pets among tms nor should they not know how to do very basic tasks.

I think one of the most important things is to just be relatable. When you're frustrated at something out of your control, maybe let a TM see that. If you see that a TM has similar interests to you, discuss it with them.
Just be a human and not some professional only target robot.

I think one of the most important things is to just be relatable. When you're frustrated at something out of your control, maybe let a TM see that. If you see that a TM has similar interests to you, discuss it with them.
Just be a human and not some professional only target robot.
This def. ETL GE and I bond over Pokemon Go, ETL LOG and I over anime and witty banter, and ETL SF over anime and cats. I get along well with them and in return it makes things less stressful for me because I'm not afraid to approach them with concerns or ask for help as I am with the STL and ETL HR whom I don't really have a connection with.

I found that my cashiers were a lot happier when I was able to work into their schedule rotating weekends. I did not tell them that I was doing it, I would just make it happen. Each weekend we would have 2 cashiers off. It worked great especially when the hours were low, it was the "silver lining": "I only have 20 hours next week but at least I have Saturday and Sunday off". It worked great until GSTL started playing favoritism and started approving 2 TM weekends off every week.

ETL Log here. Here's what I've noticed that works in being the awesome ETL that I am.

1. Personable. You can't get your teams back if you're 100% serious business. Nobody feels comfortable working for someone like that. Be yourself, have casual conversations with your TM's. Crack jokes. Learn their outside life to better support them.

2. Lead with a positive attitude. Having a boss that only focuses on negatives while overlooking any wins/successes you may have is very aggravating. When your mood is down it tends to affect the rest of the team.

3. Get physical. As a LOG ETL, there isn't a day where I'm not helping my team with my own hands. That includes pushing casepacks, helping sort major transition freight, pulling auto's, assisting presentation or pricing, etc. I'm always positioning myself to be there for my team. They know they can rely on me for support.

4. Develop your team. Most team members would like to do more given the opportunity. They see new leaders come in with no experience and that will drive them mad, however if you're working on their leadership skills and developing them to becoming a leader it helps them focus on themselves and not "the new guy out of college". But you have to make it a serious effort. Development doesn't simply mean to ask them if they'd like to cross train. Ask for their input, give them feedback, empower them to run a task with a few TM's. It goes a long way.

5. Get rid of underperformers. Your hardest working TM's hate seeing slackers get away with bullshitting all day meanwhile they're giving it their all. It will only lead to your hard workers to begin to underperform. Assess your talent, make those that suck better, if all else fails, termination.

6. Thank them and buy them food.

I have a lot of respect for an ETL who is willing to do even the most simple task a TM will do even when no one is looking. Also ones who walk the walk talk the talk and hold themselves to higher standard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back