What Makes The Difference Between a Nightmare and a Dream

The worst period of time I've had at Target was when I had two senior ETLs directing me to do opposite things. At the time there was no SD for reasons I don't remember. I dreaded going to work because I knew one or the other would be aggravated with me that day. I mostly did what my direct ETL told me to do, not the ETL over the other area.

We technically don't have an ETL, just a TL and VM with the SD as their boss. They are trying to be everyone's friends and nothing gets done correctly. Makes my shifts awful. I'm cleaning up the stuff that the TL has 'helped with'

I feel that target is turning not to care about the employees anymore and their guest. Guest service has definitely has gone down since I started. I believe the morale also has gone down with the changes that include more work that included providing the best guest service. Now at our store we have a new etl that has this fake attitude and thinks everyone else needs to be a fake as well. It’s mentally draining. Nothing negative or suggestions anymore. No having fun because we are a time limit with the ridiculous ‘times’ that corporate gives us to get freight work but doesn’t include guest service, backing up, backstocking, breaks, and lunch.

mid it everywhere or just my store??

I'm on my second store now, came here when I got promoted. I've always had a sickeningly positive attitude, lol. I was known for being the one who could comfort, talk down, or uplift all my fellow TMs. I rolled with whatever they asked me to do, and I loved it at my first store. There were issues, there always are.

Then I switch stores, into a new role, and during the peak Covid craziness. I was miserable my first month. The new store is run differently, I missed my friends, I felt like I was in over my head. But it's been a few months now and I've found my footing. I worked hard at connecting with my team, listening to them, and making changes. They know I have their back, that I appreciate them, and what my expectations are. I love it now and can't imagine going back. With outside perspective I see the bad in my old store now. Do my new bosses make me nuts? Sometimes, but they will give me what I need and I'm learning to push back which they respect. Now the TMs at my new store comment on my positive attitude.
Yes stores and leadership are bad and good, but ultimately your attitude and outlook is what you can control. But by all means, if it's toxic get out and find your happiness.

Back