Logistics What's everyone's opinion on the (possible) elimination of the Reverse Logistics Expert position?

Azrael342

Receiver
Reverse Logistics Expert...ugh RECEIVER!

I mean let's be honest, its pretty much happening at some point. It's leaked from the Fall National. It's being done in test stores. It's been rumored ever since modernization came into existence.
With Kellogs having gone to "In Warehouse" and Nestle following suit. It'll only be a matter of time before a lot more vendors follow that trend. Whether the bigger ones do it or not i'm not sure. Like Pepsi or Coke.
The Bimbo Bread vendor I talk to has already told me Walmart's testing it out in some places. They're slowly eliminating reasons to have the position.
Sweeps, IR's, ESIM, Defects, STS, etc. There's a lot the position deals with so it'll be very interesting to see how they divide it up and what will happen to it.
It sucks and I just want to hear some of your opinions!

Being a Receiver, I'll say it makes me feel uneasy, like a ticking time bomb. (I've felt like this for a year now anyway)

Last edited:
I don't think they should be eliminated, but I feel like they should be given more core roles like fulfillment packers or something. Our receiver just stands around like a third of the time waiting on vendors :rolleyes:

Reverse Logistics Expert...ugh RECEIVER!

I mean let's be honest, its pretty much happening at some point. It's leaked from the Fall National. It's being done in test stores. It's been rumored ever since modernization came into existence.
With Kellogs having gone to "In Warehouse" and Nestle following suit. It'll only be a matter of time before a lot more vendors follow that trend. Whether the bigger ones do it or not i'm not sure. Like Pepsi or Coke.
The Bimbo Bread vendor I talk to has already told me Walmart's testing it out in some places. They're slowly eliminating reasons to have the position.
Sweeps, IR's, ESIM, Defects, STS, etc. There's a lot the position deals with so it'll be very interesting to see how they divide it up and what will happen to it.
It sucks and I just want to hear some of your opinions!

Being a Receiver, I'll say it makes me feel uneasy, like a ticking time bomb. (I've felt like this for a year now anyway)
It should be a store specific. I worked at a high volume store and it was definitely necessary but I’m now at a low volume store and it is 100% not necessary. All the vendors can be checked in my our FBTL and any other TL on his day off. Our receiver just stands around or does unnecessary busy work so I’m constantly making him do pulls or push or other backroom related tasks. It should just be tiered based off volume so low volume get 10-15 hours while high volume get a full time receiver. It’s definitely necessary in some stores since my high volume store used to earn 60 hours a week for receiving.

Receivers often have years of experience under their belt, I wonder if spot is going to offer them the ability to transition into others roles, or just hand them the pink slip and tell them their services are no longer needed. Although who would want to go from 32+ hours a week in the receiver role down to 15ish like the everyone else? I feel this is going to make a lot of receivers feel betrayed.

I think it’s an awful idea. ASANTS, but our receiver was always busy dealing with vendors, Mirs, sweeps, ESIM, recycling, cleaning, donations, and last but not least, chargebacks, which at my store was a job by itself, or should have been. There’s a difference between running an efficient, cost-effective process and being too cheap to provide a business with what it needs to be successful. Spot seems to want TMs to be completely interchangeable, so that everyone can do everything, but that’s Spot’s pipe dream, not a realistic expectation for efficiently running a business, although it’s great for keeping TMs flying out the revolving doors. Spot found out what happened to the process when they eliminated the Plano and price change teams, but didn’t seem to learn from it.

I don't think they should be eliminated, but I feel like they should be given more core roles like fulfillment packers or something. Our receiver just stands around like a third of the time waiting on vendors :rolleyes:
If they're just standing around waiting on vendors then they're not doing their job honestly.

It should be a store specific. I worked at a high volume store and it was definitely necessary but I’m now at a low volume store and it is 100% not necessary. All the vendors can be checked in my our FBTL and any other TL on his day off. Our receiver just stands around or does unnecessary busy work so I’m constantly making him do pulls or push or other backroom related tasks. It should just be tiered based off volume so low volume get 10-15 hours while high volume get a full time receiver. It’s definitely necessary in some stores since my high volume store used to earn 60 hours a week for receiving.
I agree. I think eliminating it completely is not necessary. But lower volume stores can survive without one. I feel like my store is somewhere in the middle. So They give me 40 hours every week. But never any overtime.

Receivers often have years of experience under their belt, I wonder if spot is going to offer them the ability to transition into others roles, or just hand them the pink slip and tell them their services are no longer needed. Although who would want to go from 32+ hours a week in the receiver role down to 15ish like the everyone else? I feel this is going to make a lot of receivers feel betrayed.
I hope none get terminated off the bat. That's just excessive. But i agree. If I was told i was being moved to another position and was given less than what i was getting before, I would just leave. And that's exactly what i'll do depending on what happens.

Price Change, Pog and Receiving should all still be around. If the ultimate goal is sales and service why not let the "experts" take care of these tasks? They are experts, they are efficient and they are accurate. I think people found out that what POG and price change did daily and for all of the previous bashing of these teams it has become apparent they (most) were damn good at their jobs and were able to complete their work with little to no disruption to the guest. I cannot even begin to imagine how ineffective it will be to eliminate the receiver position.

When I read that receivers have time to stand around and chat waiting for a delivery I wonder if esim are properly completed?Have they mantain and filed paperwork? Are the ir worked in a timely manner. Are the CRC and salvage pallets built safely and sent back on sweeps? Do they load the sweep truck alone or do others do that? Is their backroom a magically dream setup that they don't have to constantly move things back and forth to get a delivery in the backdoor or pallets down from the steel for vendors to work? Are they alerting Ap to issues they may see with Salvage and CRC from the frontend? Not to mention sometimes verifying team members are doing pc salvage and not leaving it laying around? Are they constantly running baler and tossing trash when it's left behind?
Every year I keep expecting hrs my hours to be cut.
Every job has so many details.
We know how removing signing is now more efficient. 10 hours is just a hustler fast talk. A dedicated pog team was trilly never needed.

My receiver has always been a receiver, 14 years. I can not imagine there being no receiver. I also could not imagine no instocks, presentation, pricing or signing person. It will happen and it most definitely will not be good for my store.

My receiver has always been a receiver, 14 years. I can not imagine there being no receiver. I also could not imagine no instocks, presentation, pricing or signing person. It will happen and it most definitely will not be good for my store.
It's going to be "interesting"

Well then we can just Call the SD to open the doors 10x a day.

They can load the fucking sweep, gather up and straighten out repacks, figure out where to put the fucking recalls that get dumped back there and figure out where to keep them sometimes up to a year. Sort the ESIM and actually know what to do with it. Pulling MIRs and actually getting them out the door, making sure the STS gets in the door along with every other vendor. Keep their asses in line to pick up and take their empty pallets out. Cap all the booze that comes in the door when they check it in. Help SFS pack when they are drowning and then on top of all that keep the receiving area actually clean enough so you don't kill yourself trying to walk through there.

Yesterday it was over an hour just sorting repacks to get them to the point even be able to make pallets since the inbound team can't fucking put them away and the GM ETL doesn't care, that is for the receiver to handle. Well she can sort that shit out now.

/soapbox cause it's been a fucking day and I have zero patience for anyone's bullshit.

Last edited:
Receivers deal with a multitude of personalities. No offense to any TLs out there but some of these vendors will eat you for lunch. Most recievers rule the dock with an iron fist. Receiving is an area of the store that is totally overlooked.....until something goes wrong. They are taken for granted. Hell most ETLS and STLs have ZERO idea what they actually do. Trying to eliminate this position is a mistake, a really big mistake.

I think it's so funny about defecting and esim and blah blah blah. I just dump that shit in the compactor. This just proves Target doesn't care beyond the public image.

Don't quote my message and tell me how wrong I am. I don't feel guilty, and I don't care.
Not even target related but you’re a POS. Proper chemical disposal and recycling are important

I think it's so funny about defecting and esim and blah blah blah. I just dump that shit in the compactor. This just proves Target doesn't care beyond the public image.

Don't quote my message and tell me how wrong I am. I don't feel guilty, and I don't care.
Funny thing Target got caught by California for having esim in the compacter. Target had to pay a fine.

The main receiver has been with Target 12 years, receiver 8 years. Our ETL even said he is the only one who knows reverse logistics and that I was going to be the 2nd receiver since this person has been a resolving door. The receiver is crucial to store. They're probably gonna add more workload to the receiver, at least for higher volumes. The ETLs said recently the backroom audit is to now be part of our routine.

Last edited:
Funny thing Target got caught by California for having esim in the compacter. Target had to pay a fine.

The main receiver has been with Target 12 years, receiver 8 years. Our ETL even said he is the only one who knows reverse logistics and that I was going to be the 2nd receiver since this person has been a resolving door. The receiver is crucial to store. They're probably gonna add more workload to the receiver, at least for higher volumes. The ETLs said recently the backroom audit is to now be part of our routine.

The main receiver had a LOA for a 4-6 months and it was a shit show. The new replacement (formerly 2nd) receiver didn't want to do shit with ESIM and let IRs continue to roll over. The new 2nd receiver was the only one to do shit but was only scheduled 2 days. The 2nd receiver even apologies to the main receiver when he got back since there was pallets of ESIM in repack boxes. Our STL was so happy the main receiver was back as our STL has a logistics background.
Brqa , and item merge too

I think that if this is the biggest story out of Fall National 2019 Target is in sad shape. Receivers are usually some of the hardest working, most dedicated and reliable team members Target is lucky to have. A good receiver is an asset to their whole team. We have a wealth of knowledge about multiple aspects of our daily business and they actually think so little of us that they think its financially sound to eliminate this one role. They are wrong and I hope they fail but if they think I'm going sit around being played with their bullshit hours games come January and be treated like I'm obsolete, I'll just take all the assets I learned from my years at Target to another company that will appreciate them.

Not even target related but you’re a POS. Proper chemical disposal and recycling are important

But I'm the POS.

I was also reminded today that the recycling bin in the breakroom is a farce. The cleaning crew just dumps it in the trash along the rest.

Face it, this is a company wide issue.

Brqa , and item merge too
BRQA?
Item merge supposedly ended recently since its now on the vendor. But we know this is a lie. If something doesn't scan, its given to us to figure out. Up & Up items weren't being item merged properly and I had to MySupport it.

But I'm the POS.

I was also reminded today that the recycling bin in the breakroom is a farce. The cleaning crew just dumps it in the trash along the rest.

Face it, this is a company wide issue.
My store hasn't had recycling bin since at least the beginning of this year. TMs were mixing trash and recycling in the gaylords so the ETLs said no more gaylords.

Back