Archived When do hours go down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was hired I had put on my paperwork that I only wanted up to 15 hours a week. I only work weekends and have never been scheduled less that 8.5 hours both Saturday and Sunday. I haven’t complain about the extra 2 hours, but I am hoping that I will be scheduled less in the next few months. The schedule ending 1/5 still has me at 8.5 both days. Is there a possibility my hours won’t be cut in January and February?

ASANTS. But generally we see a drop in available hours in mid to late January.

Thanks for the replies.

Major drop in hours, if you make the seasonal cut. Assume nothing.

Do they generally cut/get rid of people who are not seasonal? I was hired at the end of March. Nobody has told me I might be gone after Christmas.

This is the time of year where, even if they wont admit it, hours go to the people who they know will show up. Call off's during the holidays didn't matter because there was a billion people in the store and it looked like trash no matter what you did. Now leadership is all about recovery, everything has to be correct again down to the backer paper of the aisles. People calling off fucks that over because they're often "urged" to not replace call offs.

And yes this is also where the lot of the seasonal workers get cut. Not all at once, sporadically throughout the month or so.

A good but not 100% reliable way to keep your hours up is keep an eye on the swap book for one, but also pickup the shifts of the seasonals who are going to JA these next couple weeks lol.

A good but not 100% reliable way to keep your hours up is keep an eye on the swap book for one, but also pickup the shifts of the seasonals who are going to JA these next couple weeks lol.

I am actually looking for my hours to go down a bit during this time. I’m working more than I want and it’s starting to get to me. Between my full time job and Target, I only had 1 day off from Thanksgiving til Christmas. I need to have a 2nd job, but would like to have shorter hours (or a day off) once in a while. I don’t like to call out-I haven’t since I started working for Target, so I don’t want time off that way. The swap board doesn’t seem to be utilized too much at my store, but maybe that will change if hours start to drop.

If they keep scheduling me 8.5 both of my available days, I will show up for them, unless I can get someone who wants more hours to take them. I requested 2 weekends off at the end of February/beginning of March for a family vacation, so hopefully those are approved do at least I have that to look forward to.

Ok so you asked for 15 hours and you're getting 16 hours (they don't count your lunch breaks as part of your accrued hours). No schedule writer is going to see an issue with that unless you talk to them, firstly. Secondly, they're not going to know that you want fewer hours unless you tell them. You need to put in an availability request change and change your max hours. I doubt it will go over well since you only work weekends and you're seasonal. Even with payroll cut, those are still busy times. They're probably just going term you with seasonal reduction. You're also not going to get you a day off unless you put in a request.

Bottom Line: Your schedule writer has done nothing wrong and your availability is what's contributing to your grievances.

You need to put in an availability request change and change your max hours. I doubt it will go over well since you only work weekends and you're seasonal. Even with payroll cut, those are still busy times. They're probably just going term you with seasonal reduction. You're also not going to get you a day off unless you put in a request.

Bottom Line: Your schedule writer has done nothing wrong and your availability is what's contributing to your grievances.

I am not seasonal. I don’t plan to reduce my availability. Like I said before, if they continue to schedule me the 8.5 hours I will work them. I just wasn’t sure how things worked as far as hours in January and February. In my interview the Store team lead asked me if I wanted to work every weekend and he said after Christmas there might be weekends when I didn’t get scheduled both days and I told him I was fine with that. This is why I was kind of surprised I was scheduled 8.5 hours the week after Christmas, so I just wanted info from people here who have worked at target longer than I have. I only worked weekends at my former pt job, (where I worked for over 20 years)and there were some weekends I only worked 4 hours each day or only 1 day. I did the same thing there that I do at Target (sfs).

When I was hired I had put on my paperwork that I only wanted up to 15 hours a week. I only work weekends and have never been scheduled less that 8.5 hours both Saturday and Sunday. I haven’t complain about the extra 2 hours, but I am hoping that I will be scheduled less in the next few months. The schedule ending 1/5 still has me at 8.5 both days. Is there a possibility my hours won’t be cut in January and February?

My hours are already down...got one day this week and barely one day next week, only 4.5 hours.

Start using the swap board at your store.
As hours drop & TMs get desperate, you should be able to give away a shift here & there.
If you're one of the reliable ones, your TL should be able to put in a word to the schedule writer.

Hours go down when they stop going up

I’ve had ~38 hours a week for months straight (low hours to me is like 25, they’ve always been good about giving me hours) and next week I have 27. Ok, not bad it’s january I get it. But the week after, 10!!!!!!! 10 hours!!! I’m barely making it when I have almost 40 hours a week I’m not going to be able to pay any bills if I’m making almost $340 less a week than I normally do 🙃🙃

our hours are down now. i have three days off on the newest schedule and a bunch of short shifts coming up next week.
me too!

On the newest schedule hours have gone way down, what's funny is I overheard another TM saying she was transferring stores because it seems like ours is the only one getting low hours...
it's not just your store no

GSTL at 40 hours on new schedule of course (given I am a TL).

Why are my fellow GSAs getting cut though even though I know they’re “technically” TMs.. one’s I’ve worked with in the past were guaranteed 40 hours all year if they wanted it (heck when I was a GSA.. I got 40 hours a week plus some overtime and all GSTL shifts since I was being used for GSTL on the cheap before I finally promoted!)

Weekends are tough, so if you are able to work weekends, you almost certainly will continue to be scheduled both days unless you ask for them off. IME, with a max of 15 hours and only 2 available days, your leaders will want to keep you on that schedule.

If you can open up to nights, you may be able to shuffle around (I work 3 nights, 5 hour shifts, fairly consistently, for example), but if your max is 15 hours and you're only available on weekends, they'll keep scheduling you that way.

Why are my fellow GSAs getting cut though even though I know they’re “technically” TMs.. one’s I’ve worked with in the past were guaranteed 40 hours all year if they wanted it (heck when I was a GSA.. I got 40 hours a week plus some overtime and all GSTL shifts since I was being used for GSTL on the cheap before I finally promoted!)
Idk I hate it I need money lol

Hours are down- it sucks. Always be willing to stay when asked or come in if they call you. When you're there, actually work. This will help you get more hours. The lowest I've ever been scheduled was 28 and that happened once. I was always told I could work 40 hours regardless of my schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back