Archived When does clearance drop more % off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul Goodman

Backroom Hero
Not sure if there's a definite answer but I was wondering if anyone knows when an item that's on say 50% clearance goes to 75%? Mainly wondering about clothing. Not sure how long items have to sit before the system drops them further on sale

Next time you see a pricing tm ask about the item you are talking about. I asked one of the girls today about a item I have my eye on. She told me what day next week it would go to 50%.

There are exceptions, but generally an item stays at the same percent off for two weeks before dropping again.

When I worked PA, it seemed the rate of discount sometimes varied according to sales.
Ex: a blouse is newly d-code & goes 30% off; there's a crap-ton of them.
They sit for weeks before going 50%; THEN they start selling until common sizes are sold out.
They sit again because there's only XS & XXL left before going to 70%; a few more will sell before the rest goes salvage.
Sometimes I've noticed that if a d-coded item is selling well, additional mark-down may not occur until sales slow down.
Demographic locale also a factor.
Some sheets I wanted sold out at 30% off, more than I would've paid but I REALLY liked them so I did a search to see if other stores had them.
A lower-volume store across town not only had them, when I went to get them they were 70% off!

Isn't it like weekly or bi-weekly they drop? Most seasonal stuff here will go from 25%-70% in a whole week.

You mean the "if a barcode ends in a 2, it will go down again in a week" shit isnt true?!

Our clearance racks sit at 30% forever or at least that's the way it's signed. The prices might go down to 50/70% but the signs themselves never change.

You mean the "if a barcode ends in a 2, it will go down again in a week" shit isnt true?!

HA!!

Seriously, tho, it's usually bi-weekly, but you definitely can't count on it. Sometimes stuff goes straight to 50% off and then sits for a few weeks. Sometimes it goes 15/30/50. Sometimes it goes 30% off and then straight to salvage. Even a pricing TM can't say for sure unless it's taking a markdown that day or the next day.

Our clearance racks sit at 30% forever or at least that's the way it's signed. The prices might go down to 50/70% but the signs themselves never change.

You want it that way. The fine print on the signs says "30% off or more". The percentage off is in the teeniest little print on the clearance tags and it's hard to separate out the 50% and 70% from the 30%. Plus guests have a nasty tendency to pull an item from the 30% racks, deciding they don't want it, try to be helpful by putting it back on the rack but put it on the 50% rack, and the next guest flips their lid over how the item they bought didn't ring 50% off at the register. I was so happy the day I came in and the 50% off signs were gone.

The item I'm wondering about is jeans. We have a bunch of jeans that immediately got marked to 50% off and I'd say have probably been sitting at that price for at least 2 weeks now.

I'll have to scan them and see if they've gone down but just tags haven't changed

The item I'm wondering about is jeans. We have a bunch of jeans that immediately got marked to 50% off and I'd say have probably been sitting at that price for at least 2 weeks now.

I'll have to scan them and see if they've gone down but just tags haven't changed

You don't have to scan them. If you are good at math, you can look at the regular price and see if the clearance price is exactly half or bigger (30%) or smaller (70%) than half. If not good at math, when you look at the tag there is a teeny little number in the upper right hand corner. Barely bigger than microprint. That number is the percentage off.

You don't have to scan them. If you are good at math, you can look at the regular price and see if the clearance price is exactly half or bigger (30%) or smaller (70%) than half. If not good at math, when you look at the tag there is a teeny little number in the upper right hand corner. Barely bigger than microprint. That number is the percentage off.

Yea I know all that. I'm referring to if the system automatically marks items down before new tags are placed on them? Unless items only go further down if pricing scans them and prints new clearance stickers.

For example say jeans are sitting at 50% off for 2 months, will the system automatically drop them to 70% off or salvage? Or will they sit at 50% off until pricing comes back around to them.

I figured if I scan the item I'd see if it's the same price as the clearance stickers on it, or if the system automatically dropped the price further down..If it even does that

Yea I know all that. I'm referring to if the system automatically marks items down before new tags are placed on them? Unless items only go further down if pricing scans them and prints new clearance stickers.

For example say jeans are sitting at 50% off for 2 months, will the system automatically drop them to 70% off or salvage? Or will they sit at 50% off until pricing comes back around to them.

I figured if I scan the item I'd see if it's the same price as the clearance stickers on it, or if the system automatically dropped the price further down..If it even does that

The system isn't set up to automatically drop prices down on ticketed clearance. It has to be scanned and activated in order for the new price to become active. And that only happens if it is in the workload that day or the following. Only non-ticketed clearance gets automatically dropped in price- think seasonal PLU items.

If you have jeans that have been at the same clearance price for a month, I would say your pricing team hasn't been able to finish their workload in awhile on the day mens gets ticketed.

The system isn't set up to automatically drop prices down on ticketed clearance. It has to be scanned and activated in order for the new price to become active. And that only happens if it is in the workload that day or the following. Only non-ticketed clearance gets automatically dropped in price- think seasonal PLU items.

If you have jeans that have been at the same clearance price for a month, I would say your pricing team hasn't been able to finish their workload in awhile on the day mens gets ticketed.
Ahh ok that makes sense

The only difference would be if they got started but didn't finish. Once the section is activated it doesn't actually have to be stickered to be accepted into the system at the new price. If this were true then all those random items they miss from time to time would still ring up at original value.

How does a section get activated? I'm learning price change now and I don't see how that can be done. What I would think is that an item gets activated but not all eaches were found so only some got stickered that round. Or an item wasn't found at all and it got activated to clear it out.

The only difference would be if they got started but didn't finish. Once the section is activated it doesn't actually have to be stickered to be accepted into the system at the new price. If this were true then all those random items they miss from time to time would still ring up at original value.
yes and also remember sometimes your friendly GSTMs forget to grab the new clearance sticker that prints out when a guest returns an item.

Our GSTM usually has to deal with a guest returning an item that has gone further clearance at another store (say 50% off) but wants to exchange it for the same at OUR store when it's only 30% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back