Archived When to NOT ask CIHYFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFSFun

Ship from Store: Don't call it Ship To Store!!
Definitely don't ask a guest if you can help them find something when they are looking at the condoms and lube.

I was going through HBA and asked a guest that a few days ago...The guy looked at me like I had two heads.

Didn't even realize what he was looking at until later.

Yeh, that happened to a TM in furniture.
He saw a woman sitting in a chair on display.
He asked if I'd helped her.
I said I didn't think she needed any help.
Undeterred, he went around & asked her if he "could give her a hand with anything".
Turns out she was breast-feeding her baby; "No, thanks. I got this."
He couldn't get away fast enough while I was ROFL.

There was a couple who were going at each other with that 'if we weren't in public I'd be screaming at you' kind of voices in the aisles over from me.
By the time they got to mine they were in the stone silent phase of the argument which was when my PTL came to check up on our progress.
The entire plano team just held their breath as he dashed up to them like an eager puppy and slammed into a brick wall.
I swear the air turned to ice.

There are so very much times when you don't ask.

Last edited:
You mean the mindless slaves who are always on their phone in the store.

Lol.. I hold my phone at other stores so people get that idea of me. I also wear headphones that aren't connected to anything. Well, sometimes they're connected, but I usually have it so I can still hear because even though I'm hoping no one speaks to me, I feel awful about the possibility of someone saying something then I don't respond.

Also any time anyone is in the Tampon aisle.
On a semi-related note, I once asked a little old lady if she needed help while she was looking at anti-itch creams. Without pausing a moment she replied: "Yes, I need some rectal hemorrhoidal cream. Where is it?"
"Er, uh, it's...it's near the end of the next aisle over, second shelf from the bottom," I turned around, and watched the cameras for the rest of the afternoon.

To be honest I really never ask CIHYFS. I usually just say good morning/good afternoon, How are you doing today ? etc etc. I have found that if a guests needs help they will ask you after you speak to them...and if they don't need help they at least know that someone took a few seconds to say good morning/good afternoon. Plus, it just seems more natural to me and not as forced etc. I also do the same thing with team members, I always try to speak to every team member that I see...as I have said on here before the vibe should be a two way street.

I usually say "Are you finding everything all right?" because CIHYFS sounds too robotic. CIHYFS also implies that you'll actually walk the guest to the thing they're looking for - and being a GSA, I can't even leave the front lanes to pee unless I have coverage.

When I was hired years ago the training video advised against CIHYFS with guests on the phone. Not sure if it's still in there or not. When I was first hired I was pushing freight over where the ladies panties go. I was CIHYFSing all the guests over there until one guest told me I was making everyone uncomfortable. I always avoid that area now whenever possible.

My favorite thing to do to the cell phone gabbers is to simply ignore them.

Then they ask, rudely, why you didn't offer them help.

"Oh, I was raised to never bother people who were on the phone."

The look on their faces is priceless.

When I was hired years ago the training video advised against CIHYFS with guests on the phone. Not sure if it's still in there or not.

I realize this is an old thread but just for the hell of it, yes, that's still in there. My training video that I watched yesterday was from 2005 and we were told by HR it was the most updated thing available... It advised us to smile and make clear and noticeable eye contact. Kind of creepy if you think about it, but it works I guess.

Definitely don't ask a guest if you can help them find something when they are looking at the condoms and lube.

I was going through HBA and asked a guest that a few days ago...The guy looked at me like I had two heads.

Didn't even realize what he was looking at until later.

Oh god. I remember at my first job, they used to lock up all the condoms and sex stuff. It was awkward being 17 and picking out condoms for people older than my parents.

ME: "Is this the one? In the blue box?"

CUSTOMER: "No no, I want the ones next to them, with the ribbed texture!"

You mean the mindless slaves who are always on their phone in the store.

It would be ironic if you posted that from your phone.

But true, I pretty much avoid anyone with a cellphone.

I've pulled condoms for FF probably a handful of times. I just want to say to the person "no one gives a fuck if you're having sex or just using it to masturbate".
So lazy that you have to get someone to pick up your condoms and take them to the front of the store you can just pick them up at the front. Pathetic.

I never ask people if I can help them find something. If they need something, they can initiate the dialogue. I don't get paid enough to ask guests annoying questions. If they need help, they will ask. If they don't need help, leave them alone.

I never ask people if I can help them find something. If they need something, they can initiate the dialogue. I don't get paid enough to ask guests annoying questions. If they need help, they will ask. If they don't need help, leave them alone.
We don't ask every guest just for fun or because we enjoy doing it... We do it because it is literally part of the job that we are paid to do.

I'm in the backroom. My job is to pull batches and FF and back stock and clean up messes made by other people. I don't have time to mingle with guests.

Avoid all the yuppy cell-phone gabbers. There's really no point in asking-most of them get agitated when they are asked.

I purposely ask those guests up at the lanes. It really irks me when I'm trying to do my job and provide great service and someone ignores me yapping on their phone. (Obviously I only do this if their conversation doesn't seem to be truly urgent.)

I have a confession I am not proud of. I once spoke on the phone during checkout while talking to a girlfriend about when she wanted to see a movie and other lubby-dubby stuff. This was years ago, but the cashier did what you did and I realized, I would have done the exact same thing. So I said goodbye, hung up the phone, and signed up for the debit card red card because I felt like a dick because i was what i hated.

What a beautiful story lol I've done something similar in the past. I wish I could go back and apologize!

In my defense, I was going out with a girl way out of my league and wanted to spend every puppy love second talking to this girl. I got laid, and that is all that matters in my opinion. I'm sorry random cashier! But it was for a girl!!!

See if someone gave me that explanation they'd get a high five!

When not to ask CIHYFS: as a male in the feminine hygiene aisle.
Or when you're doing a scan through intimates for instocks. Bonus points for it being the day you forgot to shave and put on a clean shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back