Archived Who is allowed to boss me around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I feel this sentiment might be the reason ALOT of people stay working for Spot. I know, at my store, there are at least a dozen TMs that would quit in a heartbeat, but don't because they don't want to leave someone (a TL or another TM) in the lurch.
That is definitely one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did but for the sake of the cash office team and the front end team, and pretty much lying to myself.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I feel this sentiment might be the reason ALOT of people stay working for Spot. I know, at my store, there are at least a dozen TMs that would quit in a heartbeat, but don't because they don't want to leave someone (a TL or another TM) in the lurch.
I also think the way you should think of it is "this is NOT my problem" the team will find a way to get along. it is NOT your problem.

I also think the way you should think of it is "this is NOT my problem" the team will find a way to get along. it is NOT your problem.
I try not to think that way. I try to think inclusively. The "every man for themselves" mentality leads to bigger issues. Plus, I like to think that my contribution has merit and that staying to support my TL or TMs is valued.

Sure, if I left, my position will be filled by the next qualified candidate. We had a few TMs leave before the holidays and they were quickly replaced. Their TLs were stressed, but saw that the new employees were motivated to do well and learn quickly. I know it's not my problem to worry about what happens if/when I leave, but it is until that time comes.

AP generally operates outside of typical business operations as they are more focused on the protection of assets and preventing loss to the company. That being said, they are still a resource and may be called upon to print receipts, review suspicious transactions/team members, and assist with guest service when backup is called.

AP generally supersedes the authority of all store TMs with the exception of the STL, ETL-HR, and any higher ranking APTM when it comes to safety and security. Aside from that, we are still a resource for business operations and are expected to act accordingly by providing as much assistance for floor staff and leadership as we are allowed by policy and directives.

In the interest of professionalism, it is best that you do as much as you can to help with normal business operations when asked as it helps drive sales and increase profitability, which is what we as AP are supposed to do; However, if it gets to the point where busy work and errands performed at the request of Non-AP TMs begins to affect your work and results, I would recommend discussing it with your ETL-AP to figure out the best balance.

I talked to him after and let him know I was working a Guest, but he didn't care for it. He went on and said "I'm technically your boss because I am a Team Lead" "When I call you, Show." -BTW he called me to clear out the Empty Packages Bin... had like 6 clearance items I tossed without even giving them a second look :/

EDIT: I hate my store and random bs like this is making it harder for me to convince myself to stay till the end of 4th quarter. Just out of respect I want to stay because I don't want to leave my ETL-AP out to dry when she really needs me most

I didn't see this upon posting my first comment so allow me to clarify what I mean by AP operates outside of typical business operations. AP is a resource for business operations, but it is not a tool which is at the mercy of Non-AP TM/TLs. AP operates above discretion of GTSLs, TLs and GSAs as they are not sales floor team members. AP may be requested by these entities to perform certain tasks as a resource, but are in no position to be "bossed around" by these individuals. While I always recommend community and harmony when it comes to coworkers, if what you stated the GSTL said to you was accurate, then they were out of line. You answer directly to the ETL-AP and STL. I would highly recommend first discussing this (in a calm and respectful manner) with the GSTL in question and let them know that while you are happy to help, you have your own job to do for your own department and are not always available. Be calm and professional and don't make any testing remarks as these can come back to bite you. If this doesn't work, then your next step is talking with your ETL-AP, then ETL-HR, and finally the STL. I doubt it would escalate to needing the APBP involved but that would be the next step after that. It may help to have a witness when you talk with the GSTL, your best bet would be the ETL-Guest Experience (or ETL-Guest Services depending on what you call it) so that the GSTL knows that their direct supervisor is aware of the situation.

The only time I have "bossed" an APTM was when they were walking into my food department with no permission. I told them that they can't walk into Starbucks any time they want to grab what they want that not only is it a compliance issue to have non certified TMs in Starbucks and outside of dress code, but it's a food safety issue to walk in, not wash your hands or be without an apron or hat. I don't care if you are AP, you abide by my rules when you throw yourself into my workcenter. If you do it again, I'll let the APTL know, if it happens again, I'll coach.

That seems overkill. If I walked into Starbucks to deliver them change, or to let them know they had a call, or to get my MyDevice or PDA back (they often borrow them to do their orders) and someone attempted to coach me for it I'd laugh in their face.

Being there and outside of dress code is also obviously not an automatic violation of the rules. If it was you'd have to empty your own trash, which IS a violation of rules. ie. The cart attendants are not dressed as per Starbucks dress code, they are dressed as per Target's dress code, and they have to go into the starbucks area, numerous times a day, as part of their job.

Not overkill.
You're walking into a food prep area.
Our trash cans are just outside our prep area so they can pull them without coming into our prep zone.
Our GSTL/GSAs sometimes come in to put change in the register when we're slammed but they would NEVER grab cups/equipment/food items without washing or gloving up.
They go to the register & back out without touching anything.
We had a GSTL who frequently came in our area to grab a cup of water despite warnings.
She did it one day when Steritech was there & we got docked for it when they asked who she was.
Our senior exec over our area coached her for that one.

That seems overkill. If I walked into Starbucks to deliver them change, or to let them know they had a call, or to get my MyDevice or PDA back (they often borrow them to do their orders) and someone attempted to coach me for it I'd laugh in their face.

Being there and outside of dress code is also obviously not an automatic violation of the rules. If it was you'd have to empty your own trash, which IS a violation of rules. ie. The cart attendants are not dressed as per Starbucks dress code, they are dressed as per Target's dress code, and they have to go into the starbucks area, numerous times a day, as part of their job.
Let me clarify, if you walk into Starbucks and try to grab your own cup of water or a straw or whatever else you may have wanted, that's a food safety hazard and I dare you to just walk into Starbucks to do that when the Starbucks District Manager is there. The store can be put into compliance for having uncertified TMs back there and not being in dress code can also land the store in non compliance. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, it's just the truth. Target has to abide by a contract with Starbucks and if they don't comply, it will get the store in hot water with the DM. The same goes for Food Ave or any food prep department, you can't just walk back there and grab your own stuff. Steritech will ding the store for that as well. My point was, that's the only time I have told an APTM to stop walking into Starbucks to grab their cups of water.

Well, yeah, going back there and grabbing cups, supplies, making my own drink, etc. seems like a nono, just seemed from the initial post that you had meant going back there at all for any reason was. If I was coached for walking back there and making my own drink that'd make sense, whereas I'd not be amused in the slightest if someone tried to coach me for taking back my MyDevice or delivering change.

Well, yeah, going back there and grabbing cups, supplies, making my own drink, etc. seems like a nono, just seemed from the initial post that you had meant going back there at all for any reason was. If I was coached for walking back there and making my own drink that'd make sense, whereas I'd not be amused in the slightest if someone tried to coach me for taking back my MyDevice or delivering change.
No that's not what I meant. Delivering change and retrieving something is different but walking back there to grab water, make a drink etc. is a no no.

Let me clarify, if you walk into Starbucks and try to grab your own cup of water or a straw or whatever else you may have wanted, that's a food safety hazard and I dare you to just walk into Starbucks to do that when the Starbucks District Manager is there. The store can be put into compliance for having uncertified TMs back there and not being in dress code can also land the store in non compliance. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, it's just the truth. Target has to abide by a contract with Starbucks and if they don't comply, it will get the store in hot water with the DM. The same goes for Food Ave or any food prep department, you can't just walk back there and grab your own stuff. Steritech will ding the store for that as well. My point was, that's the only time I have told an APTM to stop walking into Starbucks to grab their cups of water.

I do this all the time as a Perishables Assistant... I don't know if that matters or not, but how else would I change my sanitizer every day, also I don't have a SAP Number so we share supplies with FA/SB, and its never been a problem.

On that note I have bossed around ETLs and an STL for stacking meat wrong before. :cool:

As a PA I felt as though it was my job to make sure we were upholding food safety standards no matter what, and no matter who u are.If you weren't I'd let you know it. I'd equate it to how AP are looked at as the "Safety Captains" of the store.

Last edited:

I concur. AP may don proper BSI equipment and enter food areas to ensure safety best practices are followed and TMs are following these safety practices accordingly: however, AP may not intrude in these TM areas without proper equipment for any other non-security/safety reason. APTMs entering these areas to grab food or beverages is unacceptable and should be communicated to them. On behalf of AP, I apologize for whoever is doing that in your area and I hope they get some sense.

I do this all the time as a Perishables Assistant... I don't know if that matters or not, but how else would I change my sanitizer every day, also I don't have a SAP Number so we share supplies with FA/SB, and its never been a problem.

I think he meant going behind the counter, not into the back area. You should be ok. After all, how could Steritech ding you for preparing the sanitizer they require you to use?

On that note I have bossed around ETLs and an STL for stacking meat wrong before. :cool:

I'm not even a PA and I raise hell when people use our clearly labeled meat metro incorrectly.

As a PA I felt as though it was my job to make sure we were upholding food safety standards no matter what, and no matter who u are.If you weren't I'd let you know it. I'd equate it to how AP are looked at as the "Safety Captains" of the store.

Yep! We got dinged on the last Steritech visit for cooked bacon being with raw meat. Therefore, anybody and everybody is at risk of me kindly telling them how that's wrong and I will murder them if I catch them doing it wrong again god dammit I put up signs how hard is it to read

The only time I have "bossed" an APTM was when they were walking into my food department with no permission. I told them that they can't walk into Starbucks any time they want to grab what they want that not only is it a compliance issue to have non certified TMs in Starbucks and outside of dress code, but it's a food safety issue to walk in, not wash your hands or be without an apron or hat. I don't care if you are AP, you abide by my rules when you throw yourself into my workcenter. If you do it again, I'll let the APTL know, if it happens again, I'll coach.
As TL, you should have final say of who and how people can get into your specific area, with possible exception of your GE. The same should be true of any specialized area TL and their respective ETL.

I didn't see this upon posting my first comment so allow me to clarify what I mean by AP operates outside of typical business operations. AP is a resource for business operations, but it is not a tool which is at the mercy of Non-AP TM/TLs. AP operates above discretion of GTSLs, TLs and GSAs as they are not sales floor team members. AP may be requested by these entities to perform certain tasks as a resource, but are in no position to be "bossed around" by these individuals. While I always recommend community and harmony when it comes to coworkers, if what you stated the GSTL said to you was accurate, then they were out of line. You answer directly to the ETL-AP and STL. I would highly recommend first discussing this (in a calm and respectful manner) with the GSTL in question and let them know that while you are happy to help, you have your own job to do for your own department and are not always available. Be calm and professional and don't make any testing remarks as these can come back to bite you. If this doesn't work, then your next step is talking with your ETL-AP, then ETL-HR, and finally the STL. I doubt it would escalate to needing the APBP involved but that would be the next step after that. It may help to have a witness when you talk with the GSTL, your best bet would be the ETL-Guest Experience (or ETL-Guest Services depending on what you call it) so that the GSTL knows that their direct supervisor is aware of the situation.
Friday night, we were tracking two ladies that had over flowing carts and were looking like they were trying to go for it at any moment, when the GSTL called me to the service desk. I was ten feet away, so I didn't mind walking over there, then he pulled me into their mini-backroom, and told me "I need you to print out a receipt for a guest as soon as possible, the transaction was two minutes ago."
I told him OK, but it will be a minimum of five minutes before our system will even show the transaction, and probably longer, as we're tracking someone.
He then said that that wasn't acceptable, and that I need to make doing the receipt my first priority.
I had to filter my response: "I'm sorry, but I'm not doing that. We're tracking a subject with a huge amount of merchandise and we think she's going to try pushing out. In addition, I've been told by my previous ETL that we're really not supposed to print out receipts from the camera system unless critical need."
He was very unhappy, but I simply walked away before he could argue anymore.
He was a lot less unhappy an hour and a half later when I showed him the [almost] $2000 dollar apprehension that we made off the lady we were tracking.
For sure, I'll definitely have a word with her when I work next. But otherwise in your opinion what is the chain of command at a store?

(Highest to Lowest)
STL
ETL
Senior TL
AP
TL
TM/GSA
At my store, I would say it's more like this:
STL
ETL
Sr.TL
TL=APS
GSA~=TPS~=PA
TM

The only time there has been confusion was in the above case and once when I asked a TM to continually guest service someone and the GSA asked for her specifically for Guest First. In the end I just asked if he could get someone else for G1st.

Last edited:
told me "I need you to print out a receipt for a guest as soon as possible, the transaction was two minutes ago."
Perhaps you should have your AP ETL or somebody show your GSTL how to print out a receipt. It's really easy. Anyone with access to a computer in the TL office or TSC can do it in about two minutes. When I transferred stores, I was told that only AP could reprint receipts. I showed the Execs how easy it was and then surprise! We didn't have to call AP every time. Knowledge is a good thing.

"I need you to print out a receipt for a guest as soon as possible, the transaction was two minutes ago."

I understand your frustration. If AP is too busy to print a receipt, SF TMs need to use Inside POS (which should be the first option anyway).

Also, my take on the leadership structure is as follows.

1- STL

Then it splits between sales floor and AP

For Assets Protection

1- ETL-AP
2- APTL
3- Sr.APS
4- APS
5- Sr. TPS
6- TPS

For sales floor

1- Sr. ETL
2- ETL
3- TL/GSTL
4- GSA
5- General staff (cashiers, softlines, hardlines, instocks, overnight, etc.)

Perhaps you should have your AP ETL or somebody show your GSTL how to print out a receipt. It's really easy. Anyone with access to a computer in the TL office or TSC can do it in about two minutes. When I transferred stores, I was told that only AP could reprint receipts. I showed the Execs how easy it was and then surprise! We didn't have to call AP every time. Knowledge is a good thing.
He knows how, he just didn't want to walk back to tsc to do it.

It's definitely easy, the issue is just getting to a computer to do it. I would go over and use the pharmacy to use their computer for it, but now that isn't an option with the CVS deal. Plus, at my store TSC is a good walk from the front lanes so 9 times out of 10 we aren't able to step away from the front for that long which means we need to ask AP to do it.

I understand your frustration. If AP is too busy to print a receipt, SF TMs need to use Inside POS (which should be the first option anyway).
SF TM's don't have access to Inside POS. The only non-AP non-TL position with access is GSA.

If they did they'd be able to go to the TSC, open InsidePOS, search for "Event" and pull up every giftcard purchased on a given day, and have the ability to print the list of all the giftcards, then go home and spend them.

Frankly I'm not sure I should have that level of access, but I do. I sure as hell don't think every employee in the store should have such access.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back