Archived Who would I talk to about register deficit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computergeek93

Cashier
So this only happened on one transaction, a small one at that. I accidentally entered the amount due for the amount tendered. I calculated the change mentally, and I know for a fact it was correct. My register was probably sixty cents short when I clocked out, and the entire office was vacant as was the breakroom. I am scheduled to work tomorrow, so who should I tell? Also, how would I find out what register I am supposed to work at?

So this only happened on one transaction, a small one at that. I accidentally entered the amount due for the amount tendered. I calculated the change mentally, and I know for a fact it was correct. My register was probably sixty cents short when I clocked out, and the entire office was vacant as was the breakroom. I am scheduled to work tomorrow, so who should I tell? Also, how would I find out what register I am supposed to work at?

Spot doesn't count change unless the drawer (bills) are not within a given range of what should be there... Im not telling you to not give the right change I'm just saying that no one will notice and no one will... at least for a long time and they won't come after you or care about 60 cents!

I wouldn't necessarily say they WON'T do anything about it, just that it's highly unlikely over one minor infraction. They will look for high dollar errors and habitual abuse. I've worked with a lot of cash based businesses where one party collects the money and another counts it out, they will always have a certain amount figured into "human error".

Last edited:
Great to hear guys, not to mention relieving. I ended up getting twenty minutes of training and then received command over a register. Needless to say, like 80% of my transactions were Rs for about 20 minutes, but by the end of the day my average was about 90% and I had like 70 Gs with 4 Rs scattered throughout. So I guess I learned what I was doing somewhat. Thanks again for all the help that you guys as a community provide :)

Just to reassure you one more time I work in the cash office. We don't count the change, only the bills. You will be fine! Apparently spot is to big to care about change :p

Were you entering the amt totaled? (ie: total was $11.24 & that's what you entered)? If you calculated it correctly in your head & it was mere change, no worries.
The only change that CSA (central store audit) cares about is how many rolls of coin were requested & were they all put in.

Re: speed score - take it easy at first. After you do about 2-300 transactions, your brain will take over & start speeding you up.

When I started, I was always told to go to any empty register other than Express Lane 1, but I later learned not to steal registers from certain veteran cashiers who were on break/lunch. Just recently, though, a couple of our GSTLs have started assigning us to specific registers each day.

Were you entering the amt totaled? (ie: total was $11.24 & that's what you entered)? If you calculated it correctly in your head & it was mere change, no worries.
The only change that CSA (central store audit) cares about is how many rolls of coin were requested & were they all put in.

Re: speed score - take it easy at first. After you do about 2-300 transactions, your brain will take over & start speeding you up.

Like someone owed $6.34 and they gave me $7. I hit K1 for exact change and was like oops... I just gave them their 66 cents and sent them on their way. It only happened once, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get in huge trouble for it haha.

And yeah, every single R I get just makes me cringe. I'm a perfectionist. I'm just gonna work at getting to like 93% cause I'm really picky about stuff like that.

When I started, I was always told to go to any empty register other than Express Lane 1, but I later learned not to steal registers from certain veteran cashiers who were on break/lunch. Just recently, though, a couple of our GSTLs have started assigning us to specific registers each day.

That's what my trainer told me. He said I could go pick one, but my GSTL was in the office too and told me two specific ones I should work at. I stepped in right on cue to relieve another cashier and started my shift.

All in all, after a mere two days, I can safely say I will enjoy working at Target for what will hopefully be a long while :D

If you can say that after working thru Q4, that'll show some moxie!

If if's ever a big mistake, you can scan the receipt and hit "Fix a mistake" - hit "Wrong Payment" and it'll give you the option to re-do the payment.

If you can say that after working thru Q4, that'll show some moxie!

Q4 is my fav part of the year... It seems that the OT is like a lake behind a dam and we are all downstream when the dam gives!!! I love it

Well at least my bank account loves it!!! :D

Q4 is my fav part of the year... It seems that the OT is like a lake behind a dam and we are all downstream when the dam gives!!! I love it

Well at least my bank account loves it!!! :D

haha, even holiday pay is awesome. I'm scheduled for July 4th and I don't mind cause Target is awesome enough to pay time and a half on holidays.

haha, even holiday pay is awesome. I'm scheduled for July 4th and I don't mind cause Target is awesome enough to pay time and a half on holidays.

Not nearly as awsome as being opaid Time and a half EVERY SUNDAY or if you work over 8 hours.

That is quite awesome. I have prior engagements Sundays, and I'm not sure what my state law is about that, but it's freakin' cool for you guys!

Well I know Costco has the sunday deal. Not sure about my new work. I do know if we work over 8 hours we get time and a half. I'm gonna work a lot of overtime next week since the store is going through phrase one of the remodel. (I'm on the remodel team)

Yes, I agree, especially for hourly employees, that a Sunday Premium Pay is a nice incentive =)

How do you know your register was short? just curious?

It doesn't matter which 'K' key you hit as long as the amount due goes into the register. It is just there to make giving change faster + more accurate. Change is left in the registers overnight, and is not counted (except for .50 and 1.00 pieces)

Last edited by a moderator:
Change is left in the registers overnight, and is not counted (except for .50 and 1.00 pieces)

What do they do with foreign change then? I'm not far from the Canadian border, and when I was trained, I was told that we accept Canadian bills but not coins (yet those Canadian pennies always seem to find their way into the drawer).

I'm down aways & those Canadian pennies migrate down here, too.
When I was first trained in CO, we had a little jar of foreign coin & we asked CSA about it. They told us if there was an excessive amt (ie: coin bag-full) that they'd send instructions on going to a bank branch with foreign currency exchange privileges. That was yrs ago, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back