Archived Whose job is it anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinallyFamous

DazedNconfuzed
First let me say ive only been with target and my position as op/fitting room since march this year.......several times i have had my tl come to me to say that when she is not around or there for the day/night i am responsible for everyone in softlines making sure they get their work done. Ok maybe sure. Where my real issue is now is that they have had me train a new girl for op/fr but ive only worked with her that one sat that she trained with me fast forward 2 weeks n the young lady is not cutting it so my tl tells the other op who has been working for target for 10 yrs and is the actual designated trainer for op to tell me to talk to her about what she needs to be doing and to stay on top her.

Long story short i have a tl who wants me to coach another tm about their performance and behavior at work. Where as i feel that yes im the op but i am not a tl and they def dont pay me as such so am i right or wrong?

I'd ask your TL if they're going to bump your title & pay up to TL since they're asking you to act as a TL but that's only because I'm the mouthy sort so don't do that.
I would tactfully remind your TL that TMs aren't allowed to coach but you could have a 'learning convo' with her.
If she wants said TM formally coached, she'll need to do it herself.

If you don't want that responsibility just tell them. You're not a team lead and you don't have to give your peers any feedback if you don't want to. However, if the possibility of leadership opportunities in the future intrigues you, I would find a way to make this work.

If you end up giving any feedback, be sure to use very constructive language. If you're a trainer, take advantage of the training opportunities you encounter.

this seems to becoming more common,tls and etls wanting team members to "talk" to others about their performance,this is not something I would do.
'

Uh. Nope. no. nein. no way Jose. non. not happening.

I would just tell the TL you are not comfortable with this scenario, but you would be more than happy to work with the new hire.

Having a "peer" trainer is not unusual for any business, but being a trainer should be something that is asked of a team member, not delegated to them out of nowhere and definitely not forced.
However, what you described is that you are being asked to perform responsibilities that are absolutely out of scope of duties.

Being a peer trainer is something you can talk to your TL about if you do not wish to be utilized for. It happens, not everyone is interested in doing that (pay increase or not).

You also need to utilize the open door policy regarding the (very wrong) delegation of managing another member's performance. This should be something you talk to HR about privately at first. The reason you want to do this is because, by the behavior of your TL, it doesn't sound like they understand their responsibilities and 'could' possibly react negatively if you were to approach them about it. Now, I am going to go out on a shaky limb here, it could be that your TL just simply trusts you and enjoys working with you and didn't consider what they are doing is wrong...but it could also be an example of a leader who is in need of a performance check (probably this).

At some stores, there are no to's working at night, only the lod. Some tm's are told to monitor & document on how the new folks are doing. Then give it to the tl.

In August, I returned from vacation to find out that I was one of two Flow Team trainers. I was backstocking in the freezer and the HR TM opened the door and asked if I was available for a picture later. I gave a perplexed look and lo and behold the guy who alternates FDC orders said it was for team trainer.

I could understand him being team trainer because he's been going for TL. I think ETL LOG asked him for another trainer and he suggested me. I feel like now I get some resentment from TMs who've been around longer when in reality, I didn't actively seek the position.

Why are you responsible for everyone in softlines? That seems weird to me, but I guess it's the dynamics of your store?

We have 1 official trainer in sl (fitting room) but everyone takes part in training new TMs. Idk how they decide who has to have their picture up and what not lol. No one cares, because they don't get a raise.

As the "official" trainer for pharmacy, (which, as sher pointed out, really means nothing other than I have my picture on the wall), I would NOT "coach" another TM. I have been asked to "monitor and report," which I do fairly regularly because we don't always have a TL/ETL/exec RPh in the pharmacy. I've also been told that "I'm in charge" if one of those 3 aren't working, AFA workflow assignments go. I give feedback ALL THE TIME, but I give it to everyone. If I need to show one specific person something they are doing wrong, I don't single them out, I usually call a couple of them over and say something like, "hey, wanted to show you guys something....if you see something like this, what would you do?" And let them tell me how they would handle it. I then try and point out, "that's a good idea, but this way works much better..." That way it doesn't come across as "hey, you're an idiot and doing everything wrong..." Or I'll just go the passive-aggressive route and leave post-it's everywhere saying "when doing X, you need to do Y," but that's usually only when MULTIPLE people (or certain people who REFUSE to admit they do anything wrong) are doing something wrong ;)

If we were both TM's and you tried to "coach" me I'd be a bit offended actually. It sucks they put you in such an awkward position because it's not your job to be doing that. Like they said document and monitor. I'd never ask one of my TM's to do such a thing.

My ETL actually put on my yearly review that she'd like me to coach cashiers more frequently.

That exact verbiage too. Not train, not advise, coach. I chuckled when I read it. Was tempted to ask her if she knew what the difference between GSA and a GSTL was.

Maybe she meant it in the literal sense of the word. "Coach" them, as in give them feedback on how they are doing what they can improve on. As a GSA, you should be giving cashiers and GSTMs feedback.

You can converse with them on how things you did to perform better.

But you can not converse with the TM about their performance. Thats not even what the trainer does either. Its up to the TL to give the TM performance feedback.

Softlines seems to have a life of its own. In my store, we are pretty much left to our own devices. Most of us close for 95% of our shifts and so we only work with our TL one or two nights a week, sometimes not at all. She and/or the LOD assign one of the softlines TMs to supervise the rest. Generally, that person will check everyone's zones and even tell us when to go backup cashier. I am relatively new to SL but one night I was that person and told specifically to check on one newbie. I thought her zone left a lot to be desired but refused to say anything to her. Its not my job to coach my peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back