Service & Engagement Why are we being trained to steal customers return value?

I don't get where the confusion lies.

I have a coupon for a specific item. I think to myself, "Hey, I need that item, think I will go buy it and save some money to boot." I buy the item, use the coupon, then realize "Oops, I already have plenty of this item", or "Oops, I forgot I actually don't like this brand, think I will return it".

So I return it and I get back what I paid. Why would I need the coupon back if I do not need the item? I already bought it and saved the money. Then I decided I did not want and/or need the item, so therefore I DO NOT NEED THE COUPON. I am NOT entitled to get money back that I did not spend if I did not keep the product.

Coupons are not gift cards. They are a discount on a SPECIFIC item.
THIS!!! If the milk was bad, and you wanted another, I would happily process an even exchange, since the coupon you used is valid on the non-expired milk (assuming same UPC). But if you return it, you no longer meet the requirements of the coupon and are not entitled to the money.

We subtract the coupon value from the item and give them back what they paid as per our APBP and AP ETL. 9 times out of 10 the scammer says “nevermind” and takes everything back.

With the amount of fake coupons and copied coupons I find in cash office every week, I don’t feel bad doing it either. There was a fake $10 off of Tide that was $9.99 and $11.99 for awhile. It was a fake Target circle mobile one that was getting through self checkout. They all came back trying to return 🙄, hard no. I don’t care.

Curious... Since that would be a manufacturer's coupon and sent in for redemption, isn't Target now scamming the manufacturer for the amount of the coupon, or is that coupon removed from those sent for redemption?(I will say that I have absolutely NO idea how redemption of coupons works.)
Not really. A lot of the scammers use really good fake coupons, so no target doesnt get paid for those. At the end of my tenure my store limited all guests to only 1 $5 or higher manufacturer coupon. Unless it was obviously peeled from the package.

They are a discount on a SPECIFIC item.
Store coupons are discounts. Manufacturer coupons are payment.
You can tell based on if its applied pre-tax (discount) or post-tax (payment).

"The sales tax is calculated by using the full value of an item prior to applying a manufacturer coupon. Target coupons reduce the taxable amount of the items to which they apply, unless prohibited by law. "

Store coupons are discounts. Manufacturer coupons are payment.
Rubbish. Sales tax rules are set by Corporate in order to obey state laws regarding sales taxes. Nearly all states require that sales tax be based on pre-manufacturer coupon price, but differentiate between manufacturer coupons and store coupons. Target cannot violate sales tax laws.

The guest isn't entitled to the discount provided by the manufacturer coupon which explicitly, unambiguously states, "This Coupon Has No Cash Value". Please clarify exactly what part of this isn't crystal clear?

Last edited:
Rubbish. Sales tax rules are set by Corporate in order to obey state laws regarding sales taxes. Nearly all states require that sales tax be based on pre-manufacturer coupon price, but differentiate between manufacturer coupons and store coupons. Target cannot violate sales tax laws.

The guest isn't entitled to the discount provided by the manufacturer coupon which explicitly, unambiguously states, "This Coupon Has No Cash Value". Please clarify exactly what part of this isn't crystal clear?
Apparently all of it - No Cash Value means I can't hand you 500000 coupons and expect you to directly hand me cash - nothing more, nothing less. Theoretically, they are (generally labeled as) worth 1/100 cents each so I could hand you 10,000 of them for $1.00 face value.

Apparently all of it - No Cash Value means I can't hand you 500000 coupons and expect you to directly hand me cash - nothing more, nothing less. Theoretically, they are (generally labeled as) worth 1/100 cents each so I could hand you 10,000 of them for $1.00 face value.

Right...you don't hand the store a coupon and get $5 back.

The op disappeared too

I'm guessing they weren't even a TM.
A number of people have suggested we lock this thread.
I really don't see the point.
It has salient information, the OP has been eviscerated, and Target's reputation has been defended.
Everybody is doing a good job of presenting how process really works.
And since the OP is gone, the thread will sink away under its own weight.

I'm guessing they weren't even a TM.
A number of people have suggested we lock this thread.
I really don't see the point.
It has salient information, the OP has been eviscerated, and Target's reputation has been defended.
Everybody is doing a good job of presenting how process really works.
And since the OP is gone, the thread will sink away under its own weight.
lol you’re probably right it was a Karen trying to convince us to let her have her coupon value

Back