Archived Why aren't gsa or gstl allowed to go for back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You find me extra payroll to send the rest of the "team" to help out the SF, and I'll be more than happy to do so.

I don't know where the extra payroll comes from. I do know that no one leaves until the LOD calls it. The cashiers and cart attendants and GSA/GSTLs have to re-shop and zone our areas (H&B, cartwell, Dollar Spot, Front Endcaps and Essentials) and then go out to the floor to help. And we do start our zone/re-shop before closing. We give our cashiers walkies so they can return to the lanes if need be although we always leave at least three cashiers on the lanes until close.

With the hours being cut lately, we've all been leaving before everything is done to perfection, but no one team leaves before another with the exception that the GSA/GSTLs, TLs and LOD leave together at the very end, after we've completed the closing email and all our other paperwork.

Once again, it's interesting to see how different stores operate.

I don't know where the extra payroll comes from. I do know that no one leaves until the LOD calls it. The cashiers and cart attendants and GSA/GSTLs have to re-shop and zone our areas (H&B, cartwell, Dollar Spot, Front Endcaps and Essentials) and then go out to the floor to help. And we do start our zone/re-shop before closing. We give our cashiers walkies so they can return to the lanes if need be although we always leave at least three cashiers on the lanes until close.

With the hours being cut lately, we've all been leaving before everything is done to perfection, but no one team leaves before another with the exception that the GSA/GSTLs, TLs and LOD leave together at the very end, after we've completed the closing email and all our other paperwork.

You have 3 closing cashiers plus extra that you can send out to the floor?

REALLY?! CAN I BORROW THEM?!?

GSTL's and GSA's are responsible for helping cashiers when they run into a problem. They can't help if they're pinned down on a check lane. It's not encouraged to help out cashiering at my store unless it's express so they can quickly get off to help with an issue.

Our LODs actually got in trouble for making us stay after our 11:00 p.m. deadline too many nights (for the sales floor team) Lately we've been clocking out 5 minutes or so before 11:00, unless it was an especially busy day like today. Tax free weekend. ugh.
We actually had a local news team at our store to talk about how busy it was. -_- Zonging+reshop+ad takedown doesn't make for the most fun of nights. Especially when getting a request for frontlane backup every 5 minutes.

We are a high volume store. One night 15 minutes before closing we had 10 lanes open. It was freakin' crazy! Yeah, if we try to close with fewer than 4 or 5 cashiers, we are on backup from 9 till 11.

tonight i only had 5 closing cashiers and it was ROUGH.. I feel like on sundays i should be scheduling extra just for all the call ins we get every single sunday night. =(

We're lucky to have more than 2 cashiers at all at closing, let alone extras on the floor. Even on Saturdays in our A+.

God there is so much fail throughout this thread, it's tough to know where to begin:

1) We're a team remember? Keep that in mind as you read.

2) The entire closing team SHOULD leave at the same time, if that's not happening, the LOD is failing. Cashiers, SF TMs, GSTLs, TLs, every dang person scheduled to close should be closing... until... you know, it's ALL done. No if's, and's, or but's.

3) You need to have someone running the lanes, ideally the GSTL (or GSA if there's no GSTL), but any leadership can do it (HL TL, SL TL, PATL, ETL, etc.). Don't ***** at them for doing their job and not jumping on the lanes if they're riding solo. What do they do if a minor cashier needs a supervisor? Call for another TL? The LOD? Yeah, that's efficient (see: not).

4) GSAs/GSTLs can be lazy, just like any other position in the store, if there's 2 GSAs and a GSTL, and they call for backup (with none of them on the lanes), their lazy and I'd coach them for it. Keep it up and I'd term them, no questions asked.

5) SF TMs/TLs are EXPECTED to back-up all service centers they are trained in, no questions asked. This is simple, I feel no need to explain it further.

I believe I've covered all the bases here. Remember folks, we're a team, work is easier for all of us when we work together. If the front end needs back-up, help them out. If you're running the front lanes and have a couple cashiers doing nothing, send them out for reshop. This isn't brain surgery folks, stop crying "poor me" and work together, it makes things so much easier.

^This. We are one company yet there seems to be 1,000,000 different ways we do things.

Lately with hours being cut everywhere my cashiers get thrown out at closing time on the dot. This is something I don't agree with and I can see why the sales floor team would resent it. The cashiers are a part of the team and as such should not leave until the zone is called.

God there is so much fail throughout this thread, it's tough to know where to begin:

2) The entire closing team SHOULD leave at the same time, if that's not happening, the LOD is failing. Cashiers, SF TMs, GSTLs, TLs, every dang person scheduled to close should be closing... until... you know, it's ALL done. No if's, and's, or but's.

No.

Well,the title says it all.
We are in a very low volume store,and we can hear often the gsa or the gstl calling for backup, mind you sometimes I am in the backroom or way back in the store,and go for back up to find one guest waiting and the gsa or gstl chatting away at food avenue!
I am not the only one complaining about it,and the cashiers are eagerly pressing the button !

Is it the norm ? And why? When they could easily take care of it faster !

The GSTL/GSA should be speed weaving to minimize the need for B/U cashiers... and not standing around at Cafe with the TM there. MY GSAs are trained to wait until it is impossible to speed weave the guests through the lanes before the one plus one rule is tossed out the window and then call for B/U... we're a low volume store as well but the team responds accordingly because our GSTL/GSAs follow this practice and they know when they call they really need the help... also - GSTL/GSAs here do "jump on" to minimize guest wait if they can do it quickly; but we try not to because we may be needed at the GSD, Cafe, SB or CL to help resolve an issue there... we can't walk away from a guest in a lane to help others...

Lol, yes. I'm only an ETL though, so do tell me how to be the LOD Sir, I have no doubt it's part of the Cart Attendenant/TPS learning plan (see: not).

1) If they're simply scheduled until the store closes, that's NOT being scheduled to close. Look at the schedule grid, if you're store closes at 10, people who are scheduled until 11 should ALL leave at the same time.

1b) Not having all these people leave at the same time causes derision and a feeling of "classes" amongst TMs. It's bad for morale, everyone wants to leave earlier, allowing certain work centers to do so, but not others, is only going to cause problems.

No need to go further b/c I'm right and you're not.

Last edited:
Here, our closing people, cashier or otherwise, are generally scheduled for a half hour after closing. Everyone then walks out together. For that half hour, I am getting carts, re folding soft lines, etc. The only time I leave ahead of everyone else on closing is on Saturday nights, when I'm scheduled until 10:30 and the rest of the team is scheduled until 11pm due to ad take down.

Note, I don't count the closing cashier as the other cashier who is done at the same time we close and thus does not stay to even help the final guests who are there until 5 or 10 after the hour.

Honestly, I'd be ticked if I were sent ahead of everyone else...I wouldn't want my hours cut!

Lol, yes. I'm only an ETL though, so do tell me how to be the LOD Sir, I have no doubt it's part of the Cart Attendenant/TPS learning plan (see: not).

1) If they're simply scheduled until the store closes, that's NOT being scheduled to close. Look at the schedule grid, if you're store closes at 10, people who are scheduled until 11 should ALL leave at the same time.

1b) Not having all these people leave at the same time causes derision and a feeling of "classes" amongst TMs. It's bad for morale, everyone wants to leave earlier, allowing certain work centers to do so, but not others, is only going to cause problems.

No need to go further b/c I'm right and you're not.

Ok. I am currently at my 4th store now, almost 9 years in. It has been 7 years or so since I have seen any front end team member (excluding the GSTL/GSA) scheduled past closing time. I am guessing that this is the same as many other stores as well. None of the posts so far have stated when the cashiers were scheduled to close as opposed to when the sales floor was scheduled. Maybe they should be, and that would solve the discontent the teams seem to be feeling. However, your post in jumping to conclusions in a very rude way. Get your facts before you chew people out. Maybe we can just say your having another bad day though. who knows?

Ok. I am currently at my 4th store now, almost 9 years in. It has been 7 years or so since I have seen any front end team member (excluding the GSTL/GSA) scheduled past closing time. I am guessing that this is the same as many other stores as well. None of the posts so far have stated when the cashiers were scheduled to close as opposed to when the sales floor was scheduled. Maybe they should be, and that would solve the discontent the teams seem to be feeling. However, your post in jumping to conclusions in a very rude way. Get your facts before you chew people out. Maybe we can just say your having another bad day though. who knows?

So if your cashiers are scheduled to leave at the same time the store closes, who checks out the last guests after the cashiers leave?

Nope, perfectly fine day. I absolutely detest when people respond the way that s/he did, not a real response, just some jerky "I know what I'm talking about, but I'm not going to expound in any way b/c I'm totally awesome". If you're going to bother to tell somebody they're wrong, then explain why, otherwise you're just a jack ass and I'll treat you like one. It's equal to people who complain about something without offering a solution, it's unproductive and annoying.

As for the rest of your post, then, in that case, the cashiers should be leaving. I can't speak to a specific stores payroll and/or how they manage it. If your store(s) find that having cashiers leave at close is more efficient, that's on them.

Either I can keep my 4 closing cashiers until :30 minutes after closing, or I can use that two hours of payroll to have a cashier scheduled 11-7, instead of 11-5. That two hours during the dinner rush is the difference between me calling for backup every minute or letting you do your tasks.

It all comes down to payroll.

Either I can keep my 4 closing cashiers until :30 minutes after closing, or I can use that two hours of payroll to have a cashier scheduled 11-7, instead of 11-5. That two hours during the dinner rush is the difference between me calling for backup every minute or letting you do your tasks.

It all comes down to payroll.

Then you should understand why the salesfloor is slow to back up your lanes. If you won't support them when they need help, they'll wonder why they should help you. Don't ask them to be team players if you can't be one yourself.

EDIT: I can't speak to your stores payroll, but am simply speaking to the mentality your salesfloor probably has in response.

Last edited:
Isn't SS being a team player by scheduling more cashiers during the busy time? I'm a lot more helpful as a cashier covering the lanes so someone who knows what they are doing can work on their stuff than I am spending a half hour in soft lines after closing trying to figure out how to fold clothes or put back fitting room stuff that I have no clue where it goes.

Isn't SS being a team player by scheduling more cashiers during the busy time? I'm a lot more helpful as a cashier covering the lanes so someone who knows what they are doing can work on their stuff than I am spending a half hour in soft lines after closing trying to figure out how to fold clothes or put back fitting room stuff that I have no clue where it goes.

Maybe you responded before I edited, but I'll respond anyways.

I fully agree that most (not all) cashiers are very inefficient on the sales floor and in a perfect world, they SHOULD leave when the guests are gone, it's sort of wasted payroll otherwise. However, it's not a perfect world, in the real world salesfloor TMs will see them leaving, think about all the times they had to back up the front end, and they're going to get mad. It may not be entirely logical, but it's reality.

We are a high volume store. One night 15 minutes before closing we had 10 lanes open. It was freakin' crazy! Yeah, if we try to close with fewer than 4 or 5 cashiers, we are on backup from 9 till 11.

You are so lucky then. We are a high volume store too and we get 3 cashiers til 11, then only 1 for the last 45 minutes to zone and as a cart attendant I'm usually outside for 20 minutes putting all the carts back in the reserve because so many people are leaving and making the lot a mess at the last minute. By the time I head inside, I got my closing cart attendant things to do and when I finish its time to go home.

I wish my store had the amount of coverage you got but I guess not everyone is so lucky.

Also, for backup the LODs at my store have a grid of every sales floor person working with openers, mids, and closers and everytime you respond for back up, you get checked off and the LOD goes down the list until everyone gets checked off and repeats.

The GSTL/GSA should be speed weaving to minimize the need for B/U cashiers... and not standing around at Cafe with the TM there. MY GSAs are trained to wait until it is impossible to speed weave the guests through the lanes before the one plus one rule is tossed out the window and then call for B/U... we're a low volume store as well but the team responds accordingly because our GSTL/GSAs follow this practice and they know when they call they really need the help... also - GSTL/GSAs here do "jump on" to minimize guest wait if they can do it quickly; but we try not to because we may be needed at the GSD, Cafe, SB or CL to help resolve an issue there... we can't walk away from a guest in a lane to help others...

For example ,this morning,we had a call for back up,I went.
Gsa was at FA again ,I had 3 guests with full carts,while I was finishing my 2 nd transaction,the 3rd ( on her cell phone) put her stuff on the belt.mind you my light was off by now.
The 2 other cashiers had noone in their lane ! I know that the gsa could have done her job by directing at least my last guest to the other lanes and let me go back on the floor faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back