Archived Why aren't team members putting in coupons right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude Abides, that's why I asked you straight up the first time. Our only printed coupon policy is what's on the website.

And PTS, I'm about to that point as well.

http://i.imgur.com/sPFkF8t.jpg

Link because the image is huge, but that is straight off of workbench. The money quote is "The coupon value should not be overridden or adjusted, even if the item purchased retails for less than the coupon value."

This has been Target policy for as long as I have worked up front and has been in writing in every updated coupon policy during that time period. It's not something new from Be Bold or the Vibe it predates both concepts, because to lower the value of those coupons would be committing fraud by Target. For example if a coupon is for $5 off a product and there is a qualifying product that we sell for $4, if a cashier were to override the value of the coupon in POS down to $4 then Target would basically be stealing $1 from the manufacturer because we would be given credit for $5. The only exception to this is one the OP mentioned in which it's a "free item" that needs to be K1 approved and has the box for us to write in the product value. In that case it is best practice to make the coupon match the value of the product, which I believe is the original point of the OP.

I'm pretty sure people in this post aren't talking about scaling the cents off coupons. Only the BOGO coupons. This is kind of a pointless argument, because the low value coupons are generally never going to be the same amount as the product sells for unless they're on clearance, which doesn't happen all too often. Even if they are combining a Target Q and a Mfr Q, then the Target Q scales down if you scan them in the right order.

While we're speaking of coupons, has anyone been having the problem with cartwheel where you cannot void the cartwheel coupon line during checkout?
By this I mean:
Guest checks out and says: "Can you scan my cartwheel?"
Me: "Sure, do you have any other coupons so I can scan those first?"
Guest: "No"
*Scans cartwheel*
Guest: "OH, here are 5 coupons I forgot to use"

If you try to scan a coupon after you scan cartwheel the system will freeze and the computer has to be restarted and all items re scanned at another register (found this out the hard way). I know you could easily scan the coupons using fix a mistake after the transaction, but this is a rather large pain in the butt and I could see it turning into a loophole if guests found out. Why in the heck does the system not let us void the cartwheel line anymore?!?!?!?!

I made a purchase recently and my coupon was scanned before cartwheel and nothing happened. Is this only true with manufacturer coupons maybe??

Also, I don't think anyone does this coupon adjustment thing at my store. I'm not a cashier and I honestly don't know all the rules. If the 'this item isn't here' thing comes up, I check and then I accept and that's it. Idk how to do anything else. I've had a coupon before that made me select the item that was free (I think multiple items were eligible though?). Just yesterday I found out you could do percents in the price change thing loll. I felt so dumb. I've just been doing the math in my head all this time and rounding up a bit.

Cashier training is sub-par. Especially for sales floor people.

In my case, these are coupons that come up with, "Item not in purchase, accept anyway."

So you are saying i'm supposed to accept it anyway, and let it default to the higher amount?

Not going to happen (and my AP guy backs up me up on my procedure). I will verify they have the right item, the coupon isn't expired, note the $$ and then use the "whatever keys it is" to do a manufactures coupon for the correct amount. (note this is mainly on the "get something FREE" items).

if the register is in the mode of "item isn't in there" - then aren't I falsely accepting them??

If the register were to automatically take $5 off when it was scanned, I wouldn't change it - I never do. But the ones we have to write the price in, and have kicked back not in the purchase.... I'll keep doing what I've been doing. AP will back me up, and I've had no front end training to do otherwise.

This is what one of my GSTLs told me to do. For BOGOs and free items, we key in the coupon manually (K4 Discounts >> K2 Manufacturer's Coupon >> enter amount and write it on the coupon) because it won't scan for the correct amount.

Life would be so much easier if Spot would just fix this glitch!

I made a purchase recently and my coupon was scanned before cartwheel and nothing happened. Is this only true with manufacturer coupons maybe??

How recently was this? In my store, we used to be able to scan it whatever way we wanted. Now you have to scan cartwheel last. I'm assuming people were abusing it and getting more off by scanning cartwheel first.... You used to be able to delete the cartwheel line if a mistake was made, but not anymore and it makes it a pain in the arse.

How recently was this? In my store, we used to be able to scan it whatever way we wanted. Now you have to scan cartwheel last. I'm assuming people were abusing it and getting more off by scanning cartwheel first.... You used to be able to delete the cartwheel line if a mistake was made, but not anymore and it makes it a pain in the arse.

I was told that the order doesn't matter because the Cartwheel discount isn't calculated until you hit TOTAL.

Cartwheel changed recently - it used to prompt you to do it last, but now it doesn't. You won't see the impact $$ wise until you hit total now... but can scan it at anytime. Apparently they mentioned this in the huddle in the last two weeks... cashiers are never at the huddle, and no one communicates with us if we are off.

Not seeing the total really irritates the guests - i tell them it won't show, and I can't tell them the total - but I say, "57.75 before your cartwheel", then hit total, and say, "55.60 after!). That seems to be working at appeasing them.

The flip side on the ones you have to enter the price, is fraud the other way. We charge $2, the coupon maxes at $5, and we request $5 from the manufacturer. That is why you have to manually do it.

Cartwheel changed recently - it used to prompt you to do it last, but now it doesn't. You won't see the impact $$ wise until you hit total now... but can scan it at anytime. Apparently they mentioned this in the huddle in the last two weeks... cashiers are never at the huddle, and no one communicates with us if we are off.

Not seeing the total really irritates the guests - i tell them it won't show, and I can't tell them the total - but I say, "57.75 before your cartwheel", then hit total, and say, "55.60 after!). That seems to be working at appeasing them.

The flip side on the ones you have to enter the price, is fraud the other way. We charge $2, the coupon maxes at $5, and we request $5 from the manufacturer. That is why you have to manually do it.

Hm I was at work today and it showed the cartwheel transaction on the screen still

Mine didn't today.

You scan it, and it will say Cartwheel $0.00.

Do you get the prompt asking you if you have scanned everything else, and all other coupons first still?

This this this. It's improper use of the coupon as per the manufacturer, but Target doesn't care because they benefit from the excess reimbursement. Nice to know our employer cares so much about ethics. /sarcasm

Our system still asks if you've scanned all the coupons before applying Cartwheel.
After a few crashes, cashiers warned guests about coupons after Cartwheel & what would happen.

Friday. Our system still asks if all items were scanned, and it still shows up before hitting total.

I used to be amazing at communicating coupon policies to our team. They all knew how to adjust the prices, only accept 4 coupons, ensure there were no trial/travel sizes, etc. Then, the BE BOLD thing began. My STL accepted 15 of the same coupons for one guest. We can now do ANYTHING that we have power to do. It's kind of ridiculous, but we have to "win back our guests"... Glad I'm almost outta here!

I was told to be Bold and give them the value of the coupon. And if a guest says they left a coupon at home then go ahead and give them the discount anyway. We are trying to rebuild the guests confience in target again !

I had a conversation with a cashier that covers breaks/lunches at the service desk. "I was told not even to look at the coupon and just scan it in." o_O

I had a conversation with a cashier that covers breaks/lunches at the service desk. "I was told not even to look at the coupon and just scan it in." o_O

This is what I've been hearing, although not from my store. I don't spend enough time on the lanes (thank god) to have to deal with this. I just scan the coupons and wish them a super awesome day :)

My gstl was irked yesterday that I kept needing her supervisors approval for the high dollar freebie coupons. She asked why I wasn't just scanning it.... Seriously??? I shall just keep doing it correctly, besides, it irks the couponers they aren't getting that extra discount - maybe they won't pick my line next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back