Archived Why do we take back items that are obviously used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with what you’re talking about but can someone do a simple return/exchange with a cashier register instead of at the service desk cuz some people recently been coming up to me for a return or exchange for accidentally buying the shampoo instead of conditioner or whatever. I just wanted to know if there is a way and if I’m allowed to do so cuz the service desk lines are always hella long

Yes, but you run the risk of it not being a simple return. And you might need to be coded in the system has having service desk permissions, not sure about that one. Definitely partner with your GSA/GSTL first.

I do because I am GS trained and coded, and only in very limited situations. And when I do, I am very clear with the guest that not all cashiers have the computer permissions and that they got lucky that they came to my lane.

And you might need to be coded in the system has having service desk permissions, not sure about that one.

the only things that "Guest Service trained" in POS lets you do are:

• NSF payments
  • GiftCard payouts
  • vending refunds
  • paid and left (from a service desk POS)
we're trying to develop our cashiers to handle as much as possible at the checklanes (within reason) because there's really no reason that someone should have to go wait in line behind order pickups and karen who NEEDS the LOD RIGHT NOW when all they have is a 50 cent coupon they forgot to use, or a simple exchange.

This has nothing to do with what you’re talking about but can someone do a simple return/exchange with a cashier register instead of at the service desk cuz some people recently been coming up to me for a return or exchange for accidentally buying the shampoo instead of conditioner or whatever. I just wanted to know if there is a way and if I’m allowed to do so cuz the service desk lines are always hella long

Yes the regular cashier registers will allow you to do returns and exchanges, but SHOULD you do it is another question. You shouldn't being doing returns/exchanges until you've been GS trained. There's a lot of scammers you need to lookout for and some merch has stricter return policies. If you do get trained, I'd go with what @SallyHoover posted and inform the guest that you can only do it because you're trained so that they don't expect it every time.

Yeah you can do simple returns/exchanges at any register
What might be a simple return at a register can take awhile. All it takes is for one guest to get to the register for them to decide if they have their receipt. Then they start digging for it and then realizes they do not have it. Then they need to figure out which card they used and if they have it. All the while the line is getting larger......

Last edited:
We are training cashiers to also work guest service, SCO, driveup, etc.

Flexibility is the WORD now.
I’m jealous some of you guys have cashiers that are actually competent or willing to do anything more than cashier. A few of ours refuse to learn SCO even though we have 12 and constantly need coverage. Or just complain the entire time they are over there.

When I became GSA, we had conversations about who we could train at the service desk to cover my hours over there since I’d be getting GSA shifts as well. It’s been around five months and we have just given more hours to guest service tms that were only getting half service desk because we actually have no one else we’d feel comfortable putting over there. The one girl we did ask said nope and it’s hard to imagine anyone else working.

If it’s a target brand and they have receipt, then I will return it up to a year. Unless it is a used swimsuit, nope nah noo I’m not touching it and I’m not returning it. No receipt and not coming up on the card? I’ll attempt a no receipt return, but if it’s been clearanced out, I say no (with a few exceptions... lowest selling price though).

Also, items that are clearly used especially appliances that don’t show on the card or with receipt, usually get denied by me. I’ll tell them to contact the manufacturer once it is past our return by date.
Man I wish you worked at my store. I keep getting nasty old panties tossed in with all of our go backs, sitting in there, in those piles, touching all of the other clothes 🤭🤮.... ugh I’m gonna start keeping gloves at the fitting rooms

We have allowed some awful returns:
A box that had bugs (not ants.....like roaches) crawling out of it, a TV used for an entire school semester in a dorm but brought back JUST b4 the receipt expired,
a vacuum used at a construction site, flat air mattresses, costumes after Halloween, trees after Christmas, candy after Easter, many smelly/dirty things...many more.
You are instructed to ATTEMPT the return, even if you do not AGREE with it !
The guest is allowed to return anything they like as long as POS accepts it, not YOU.
Don’t argue, if the guest calls the relations number you will be forced to accept the return after wasting much time and getting aggravated.
We have coached many desk tm ‘s for denying returns they should have processed.
NOT your dime ! Target CAN afford to LOSE the sale and KEEP the customer.
DO as your TOLD and STOP over-thinking it.

Had a guest return used pants with used underwear inside. Discovered it while processing go backs. Noped the heck right out of that one.

I’m jealous some of you guys have cashiers that are actually competent or willing to do anything more than cashier. A few of ours refuse to learn SCO even though we have 12 and constantly need coverage. Or just complain the entire time they are over there.

When I became GSA, we had conversations about who we could train at the service desk to cover my hours over there since I’d be getting GSA shifts as well. It’s been around five months and we have just given more hours to guest service tms that were only getting half service desk because we actually have no one else we’d feel comfortable putting over there. The one girl we did ask said nope and it’s hard to imagine anyone else working.
We shifted strategies this year. Some newer employees request not to be at guest services because they aren't comfortable. AP objected to some at SCO, but the reply was everyone has to learn.

This happened with cutting hours. Seasonal employees weren't trained beyond cashier. Even if someone isn't great at service desk, it makes them better cashiers.

Takes a fresh attitude and lower expectations to make this work.

I personally think it's been a smart move. The old way made people territorial.

Just remembered a good one:
SAME guest returned a HALF bottle of Laundry detergent 8 weeks in a row.
Used half on laundry day, returned bottle for new/full one, rinse and repeat.
Haha, way to take advantage of the system.

Something like that should be reported to AP. If they can build up enough of a case they can ban that guest.

At one time, a softlines TM's mom was a GSA and someone at guest service sent us back some obviously well worn bras in our strays and the TM goes "I'm so disappointed in you Mom" over walkie 😂 she took it well, lol, seeing as she wasn't the one who threw it in our stray bin

We shifted strategies this year. Some newer employees request not to be at guest services because they aren't comfortable. AP objected to some at SCO, but the reply was everyone has to learn.

This happened with cutting hours. Seasonal employees weren't trained beyond cashier. Even if someone isn't great at service desk, it makes them better cashiers.

Takes a fresh attitude and lower expectations to make this work.

I personally think it's been a smart move. The old way made people territorial.

You're right about the territorial observation. My store has a fleet of veteran GSTMs who are quite competent, but also think they own the workcenter, down to claiming (insert register number here) as "theirs." (No. Sign off between transactions so you don't get dinged for someone else's error? Sure. If we have a line to the front door, though, I am not here for you berating someone who answered your request for help for being on "your" register.) While they know the processes and policies like the back of their hands, they aren't so great at sharing that knowledge with others because they "own" the desk and want it to stay that way. They feel threatened by new people. They may regret making me SEA again because when we had The Talk, I had a lot to say about the attitudes at GS, not just toward other TMs, but toward guests. (Yes, we need to stop scammers and yes, we need to deny things/enforce policies, knowing someone may come behind us and override it. We are also not AP. That ownership squad treats people with simple, legit returns like criminals. AP, in my experience, might be nicer.)

I think at least attempting global front end training makes for better cashiers/a stronger front end in general. Once I became a GSTM, on the rare occasions I pulled cashier duty I knew better what not to do (don't scan the grey Threshold towel twice when the second one is blue, for example), and what I could do (not send Carol to GS with her 50-cent coupon, but fix it for her at the register). GS-trained cashiers also know policies (i.e. coupons) better. (Yes, they should as cashiers without the benefit of GS training. Do they always? That depends on who trains them. With the paper-thin front end staffing levels, they may not win the trainer lottery. Because of that, I think at least attempting GS training is a good idea. Same applies to SCO. It gives you a sharper eye for things like ticket-switching.)

And to address the original question: because Target is a "yes-person" company, from the C-suite to the Service Desk. We're instructed to attempt every return, and I do that, but I don't always like it.

Last edited:
You are instructed to ATTEMPT the return, even if you do not AGREE with it !
The guest is allowed to return anything they like as long as POS accepts it, not YOU.
I mean, yes and no.

We can, by policy, deny returns for being opened, damaged, or very obviously used.

What rarely happens is an LOD/GSTL who will empower you if you deny a return and Susan asks for a manager.

Very ASANTS, though. There's one particular ETL at my store that doesn't give a flying rat's ass about feelings and will no-nonsense the guest, backing you up. Unfortunately they work a shift way outside of mine and I've never had the pleasure of calling them up to the Service Desk to help me kick Karen out.

Target's Return Policy
Most unopened items sold by Target in new condition and returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items sold by Target have a modified return policy noted on the receipt, packing slip, Target policy board (refund exceptions), Target.com or in the item department. Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a receipt may be denied a refund or exchange.

fleet of veteran GSTMs who are quite competent, but also think they own the workcenter
aren't so great at sharing that knowledge with others because they "own" the desk and want it to stay that way
I often refer to the Service Desk as mine, but not in an attempt to be territorial. I know that I share the workcenter with others, but where it becomes "mine" is the way I run it while I'm manning (womaning it? to be gender inclusive? :p) it. Shit will be in order as best as I can keep it. Reshop will be sorted. Labels will be put on. CRC/Salvage will be boxed up. Drive Ups will be taken to a special location up front (get it out of the hold location as soon as the first honk on the Zebra hits) so whatever poor sap (including myself) has to run out like a dumbass yelling over the walkie, "LOD, I GOT THAT DRIVE UP!" to make that 2-minute goal. GiftCards/Merch Return cards will be stocked at each GS register.

If I'm the opener GSTM, I expect the closing GSTM to have neatened it up for me. If I'm the mid, I'm going to help balance out the transition between them, especially if I overlap with either/both. If I'm the closer (which I think is sometimes the hardest, especially if 56,000 guests are returning items we had to have the cart attendant carry in on flats), I'm going to clean up for the opener. That's where it's "my" service desk. I'm going to own its operation like I was really the only responsible TM over that workcenter.

As for keeping knowledge, nope... I used to be a knowledge horder in my very young days b/c it meant keeping people asking me, a false sense of being irreplaceable. Now, I see the value in having others know how everything in my workcenter works. You can't expect anyone helping you at GS to be competent if you don't build them up. And b/c a lot of my peers at GS don't teach others (or themselves – some don't even know where to find the return policies on Target.com), I dread when someone comes up for backup or covers for one of us bit-more-trained GSTMs, because if I take my 15 and someone not-so-trained operates it, I'll come back to returned air mattresses without exchanges, white labels and clearance sticker tapes three miles long, and cash overrides for Merch Cards. :)

We can, by policy, deny returns for being opened, damaged, or very obviously used.

Best practice is to always attempt a return for the guest. Scan the receipt, do card lookup, and if all else fails, offer a no receipt return. Obviously there are some exceptions to this policy, but most of the time it's better to just make it right for the guest.

Best practice is to always attempt a return for the guest. Scan the receipt, do card lookup, and if all else fails, offer a no receipt return. Obviously there are some exceptions to this policy, but most of the time it's better to just make it right for the guest.
Yeah, I don't fight it. I just do whatever. Salvage is gonna be a mess anyway.

However, I have denied returns altogether without a receipt for medicine in crushed boxes. Nope.

i don’t know about you guys, but we deny hba products without receipt (mostly the high value or if they have a lot) and jewelry (again if they have a lot). you know anything that is blatantly shady.

i don’t know about you guys, but we deny hba products without receipt (mostly the high value or if they have a lot) and jewelry (again if they have a lot). you know anything that is blatantly shady.
Yup.
And for some of the high value items I will try to see what the POS says, and if the system prompts me for exchange, I won't override for Merch Card. No siree. Look on the bright side: shopping spree at Target!

Costco is worse..my brother in law gets a new tv every Christmas.

"Make it right for the guest" "attempt every return" yadda yadda

The only real fight I put on was when they tried to put a ps2 in a ps4 box or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back