Archived Why do we take back items that are obviously used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been having guests bring in a ton of clothes that appear months if not years old. Usually these items smell like poop/cigs/dead things. I've been told to do the returns regardless. Doesn't the store loose money?
Shouldn't the items appear to be "new"? What does your store take back?

Last edited:
Target brands are returnable up to a year, assuming that hasn't changed. You can say no if they're clearly heavily used. But, if they're returning old shit anyway, they're not going to get full price. It's not a loss for target to lose a few bucks on an old shirt.

If it’s a target brand and they have receipt, then I will return it up to a year. Unless it is a used swimsuit, nope nah noo I’m not touching it and I’m not returning it. No receipt and not coming up on the card? I’ll attempt a no receipt return, but if it’s been clearanced out, I say no (with a few exceptions... lowest selling price though).

Also, items that are clearly used especially appliances that don’t show on the card or with receipt, usually get denied by me. I’ll tell them to contact the manufacturer once it is past our return by date.

Technically Target does not lose any money on returns it is the vendors that made the product that do including in house brands. When issued back to a warehouse in Tennessee or Kentucky if I am remembering correctly through returns (Reverse Logistics) a credit is deposited by the vendor to Target of the cost of the product that the vendor sold it to Target at. Each department and there go each DPCI has a certain return threshold that if surpassed will initiate a service charge on top of the credit given by the vendor. This service charge is to pay for the labor, expense of transport, etc when a particular DPCI gets returned excessively throughout the corporation. This is why you will often find with vacuums, often heavily returned relative to their sell through, have a note or notes upon opening the box about "If you have any problems do not return to the place of purchase call such and such". That service charge can be quite expensive and if vendors do not pay it Target will reduce shelf space for that vendor in the future. Unlike Walmart, Target is quite cruel with vendors and the purchasing of space. If you are out, you are out in the eyes of Target.

Last edited:
I had a GSTL deny an obviously used rug return without a receipt without attempting any type of return the other day. She said no this isn't defective, its just regular wear and tear and even though we still sell the rug she wasn't getting store credit for it. Wish they would empower the regular guest service team members to deny items that are not in new condition especially if they have no receipt and they have exceeded the maximum to get the mech return gift card.

Target brands are returnable up to a year, assuming that hasn't changed.
Although the POS doesn't seem to understand that. Yes it's the policy but when I tried doing this on receipts that were past 90 days but under a year, the POS still says "refund declined. Give merchandise back." It should make these receipts returnable if they include an in house brand DPCI.

Had to give them a merchandise card processed as a no receipt ID return.

Although the POS doesn't seem to understand that. Yes it's the policy but when I tried doing this on receipts that were past 90 days but under a year, the POS still says "refund declined. Give merchandise back." It should make these receipts returnable if they include an in house brand DPCI.

What’s even weirder to me is that sometimes it does allow you to return it with the receipt past the 90 days abd other times it completely blocks it.

If it’s a target brand and they have receipt, then I will return it up to a year. Unless it is a used swimsuit, nope nah noo I’m not touching it and I’m not returning it. No receipt and not coming up on the card? I’ll attempt a no receipt return, but if it’s been clearanced out, I say no (with a few exceptions... lowest selling price though).

Also, items that are clearly used especially appliances that don’t show on the card or with receipt, usually get denied by me. I’ll tell them to contact the manufacturer once it is past our return by date.
We've returned obviously used bras, underwear, swimsuits, etc. We allow the guest to return it, but we don't necessarily resell it. At least at my store and the ones nearby. I can't tell you how many times I've found shoe returns that were obviously worn several times.

We've gotten clothes back that were worn and not even washed. Still smelled like smoke and perfume and we had to except it, apparently. We usually send it right back up to guest service with a defective sticker on it.

I'm happy you're smarter than the computer.

Target wants you to let the POS make the decision on returns. Scan receipt, scan items, and follow the prompts. Your opinion on the return isn't supposed to matter.

Also I'd like to add that things that have an unusual odor will be defective salvage which Target will eventually get reimbursed for.

I've learned to not care at GS. Like the lady who trained me said, "This isn't a flea market." Jusy defect stuff out and know that's what Target wants.

My store hates profits and will give people store credit for old TV's. We gave 300ish dollars twards another TV to a guest that brought in a broken Black Friday TV.. . In March. With no reciept.

Lately I've been having guests bring in a ton of clothes that appear months if not years old. Usually these items smell like poop/cigs/dead things. I've been told to do the returns regardless. Doesn't the store loose money?
Shouldn't the items appear to be "new"? What does your store take back?
This has nothing to do with what you’re talking about but can someone do a simple return/exchange with a cashier register instead of at the service desk cuz some people recently been coming up to me for a return or exchange for accidentally buying the shampoo instead of conditioner or whatever. I just wanted to know if there is a way and if I’m allowed to do so cuz the service desk lines are always hella long

This has nothing to do with what you’re talking about but can someone do a simple return/exchange with a cashier register instead of at the service desk cuz some people recently been coming up to me for a return or exchange for accidentally buying the shampoo instead of conditioner or whatever. I just wanted to know if there is a way and if I’m allowed to do so cuz the service desk lines are always hella long
I would ask your gstl if you should do it when those situations come up. At our store, if you are guest service trained and it is something that they just purchased they would probably say to do it but they don't want guest thinking that they could regularly do returns or exchanges at the registers beyond a simple "fix a mistake" and even that for new cashiers send it to GS. I use my judgement but I always make sure if I am doing it on the register, I let the guest know that I can do it because I am guest service trained and not all cashiers are so if something similar comes up in the future and you ask and the cashier tells you that you need to do it at GS, its because not everyone has the training for those types of transactions.

my first trainer told me:

"this is a billion dollar corporation, and the average guest who we bend the policy for will be back to spend more money than the return was worth anyway"

some people take advantage of the system, but the vast majority of guests are honest. that's why we have the flexibility to make it right for the guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back