Archived Why Do You Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m at Target because I like the company’s values on diversity and inclusion. It shows in my store and district.

I also need flexibility, as my SO has zero in his job and we have a kid. I like and am good at retail, and it pays better than anywhere else with the rest of what my family needs.

Plus, the discount and premium access to clearance.

I have my own happy, fun, profitable business that keeps me sane, however no health care. Had a medical emergency that cost me a fortune so I took a job at Target to help speed up paying off that debt. Ended up staying since they offered affordable. health care benefits for my family and a 401k plan that I max out on. I enjoyed the signing position because of the autonomy it allowed me, with no stress, plus I love to zjuush things up. At first, all the etls and tls were supportive. The 4am shift and no weekends worked perfect for my own business and family needs.

Flash forward 4 years. No more signing tm. No more full time hours, thus no more health care benefits. No more work/ life balance schedule. No more rational leadership (ty modernization) for a stress free work environment.

I remind myself it’s just retail, we’re not saving lives here, I’m not in a hostage situation, so I am free to walk at any time. I’ll try to suck it up until the benefits expire next enrollment, but for now living the good life with that 10% discount.

I haven't had too much luck in finding a more stable job with regular hours and benefits. I do live with my parents, so I don't have to worry about paying bills, but I am thinking of leaving and acquiring new skills to help me in the workforce.

Because it is marginally better than the alternative (unemployment). I was promised cross-training that would lead to a bench interview by ETLs of ages past. Of course, when this didn't materialize and I naïvely asked about it, all record of those promises vanished into the ether. Coincidentally, my hitherto "Excellent" performance reviews became "Inconsistently Effective" the year I made that inquiry. Had they given me the opportunity to advance, I would not even consider leaving. Since the path to advancement seems irrevocably closed to me now (The last guy promoted to GSA worked for the company all of three days before he was advanced over me, and they're already grooming him for the TL bench after only eight months), I have been circulating my resume in fields that better mesh with my degree. Haven't had an interview since 2016 though.

Target is my part-time job.
It's actually fun and very different from my 9-5. I enjoy the discounts. I like being the center of attention when people mention I work here and they all start asking typical "do you have this? When's the best time to buy X? Can I return Y? What's a REDcard?" etc.

But I stay because I love the people I work with. Most are younger than me so I feel I can help some grow professionally with what I've learned here and at other jobs. I believe we are better than that other blue big box store and I want to actually help make Guests feel that way, too.

I stay for 2 reasons. 1- They called & hired me. 2- I'm planning on moving to a different state in the near future where the minimum wage is considerably lower than Target's minimum. It'll pay well there.

Bit of advice for those of you who are thinking about quiting. Hopefully you know this but make sure you have secured a new job before leaving Spot. Someone I know applied to Spot and left their lower paying job. After their last dat at the old job they got a rejection email from Target. So now my friend doesn't have a job.

Bit of advice for those of you who are thinking about quiting. Hopefully you know this but make sure you have secured a new job before leaving Spot. Someone I know applied to Spot and left their lower paying job. After their last dat at the old job they got a rejection email from Target. So now my friend doesn't have a job.
I don’t think any of us are on that level yet.

I've put in enough time here and built up enough attendance cred that I feel like quitting would be a waste. Turnover being what it is, I can already claim OG status even though I haven't even unlocked the "5 years" achievement yet. IDK, I want to at least make it to $15 just to see what that's like, if only for a fleeting moment

I was looking to leave a few years ago, but after moving was but was placed on presentation for whatever reason (which worked well for the past couple years). After getting consistent hours for most of each year, I got comfortable.

Now that I may move in the coming months, I'm holding out to see where I may move to. Doesn't make much sense to find something new, move in three months, then have to look again because the new job is too far away from the new location. Figure I'd transfer and look, even if I know the store I'd likely be transferred to in the meantime has a terrible STL.

I have my own happy, fun, profitable business that keeps me sane, however no health care. Had a medical emergency that cost me a fortune so I took a job at Target to help speed up paying off that debt. Ended up staying since they offered affordable. health care benefits for my family and a 401k plan that I max out on. I enjoyed the signing position because of the autonomy it allowed me, with no stress, plus I love to zjuush things up. At first, all the etls and tls were supportive. The 4am shift and no weekends worked perfect for my own business and family needs.

Flash forward 4 years. No more signing tm. No more full time hours, thus no more health care benefits. No more work/ life balance schedule. No more rational leadership (ty modernization) for a stress free work environment.

I remind myself it’s just retail, we’re not saving lives here, I’m not in a hostage situation, so I am free to walk at any time. I’ll try to suck it up until the benefits expire next enrollment, but for now living the good life with that 10% discount.
I think they will lose more people than they expect when benefits expire.

Playing the long game, something is in the works in my city and waiting for that to shake out to see if I can be a part of it. Cause that is of an interest to me otherwise I stay cause I like the people I work with and its honestly fun to watch leadership crash and burn.. I have a pretty black sense of humor and this shit is funny as fuck to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back