Archived Why exactly is there such a big push for red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store now requires that we after we ask every guest whether or not they can find anything, whether or not they have heard about our 5% off with the Target card. Every. Single. Guest.

I have refused to do it and been written up twice for it.

You SHOULD be written up for it. Insubordination, open and in front of everyone, is never a good thing. I'm all about fighting "the man" but only if it makes sense. If you don't like the rules fight to change them from within. Don't back into a corner, bare your teeth and growl. All you are doing is giving them a good case to fire you this time.

I found out my store is top 5 in state in conversion rate. It's nice, ETL's don't hound us really at all.

Last edited:
You SHOULD be written up for it. Insubordination, open and in front of everyone, is never a good thing. I'm all about fighting "the man" but only if it makes sense. If you don't like the rules fight to change them from within. Don't back into a corner, bare your teeth and growl. All you are doing is giving them a good case to fire you this time.

Oh I agree. I have argued many, MANY times about the current policy to the individual(s) that are forcing it. I have written out the reasons for doing so; It makes guests uncomfortable, it treats them like credit machines, they learn to signify team members with being asked for a credit card instead of helping them find something. I have brought it up to the HR person as well as it's incredibly hard on our regular returning guests who tend to get a bit annoyed at being asked over and over again.

I just snapped when they started to follow team members around and start grading them based on it. A lot of good team members have quit over this issue.

well true, and also in talans deffense cashiers should NEVER ask a guest if they found what they are looking for.

In the ideal world, salesfloor should not be pestering people about Redcards unless they are debating about making a huge purchase. Guests get enough of that from the front end. I would go out of my way to not have to tell every employee I saw that I wasn't interested in a Redcard. And eventually, that would involve finding a different store. But that's me.

And I think I am one of the few cashiers at my store that doesn't ask guests if they found what they were looking for. I figure since it says not to in the training book, I'm not going to invite those sort of line stopping issues into my little world.

In the ideal world, salesfloor should not be pestering people about Redcards unless they are debating about making a huge purchase. Guests get enough of that from the front end. I would go out of my way to not have to tell every employee I saw that I wasn't interested in a Redcard. And eventually, that would involve finding a different store. But that's me.

And I think I am one of the few cashiers at my store that doesn't ask guests if they found what they were looking for. I figure since it says not to in the training book, I'm not going to invite those sort of line stopping issues into my little world.

I feel like at some point in training or I read something somewhere that it's best not to ask guests that because it will end up reminding them that they didn't find everything and it's kind of a negative way to end their trip to the store.

I feel like at some point in training or I read something somewhere that it's best not to ask guests that because it will end up reminding them that they didn't find everything and it's kind of a negative way to end their trip to the store.

Yep, that's exactly what you read. Because by that point, it's too late to really do anything about it and keep things flowing.

This. At my store, some of our cashiers do ask because they might've worked at other stores where that was considered common courtesy, but I was told in training not to ask for the reasons stated above.

If the guest doesn't want them and you say the speech 5 percent yadda yadda you plead there isn't anything you can do. I have had people cut me off before I can even say anything or give me that please shut up...... Yep I understand as a back-up cashier or sometimes cashiering it is in the core roles or whatever but honestly if they do not want it what else can you do go over to them go down on your knees keep pleading and pleading? Doubtful.....Yes the debit card is wonderful and I have mentioned that several times do not even bring up the credit card anymore still no dice....

The big push on red cards is due to the sale of the card business to TD Bank. We no longer underwrite the cards, assess the credit worthiness of the card applicant or are stuck when the card owner defaults. We receive a generous portion of the profits from TD bank on the interest paid on the debt and Target now only needs to focus on getting applicants to sign up and keep them as steady customers. We did this to focus our money on the expansion into Canada and other operational initiatives. Simply put it is absolutely in our best interest to try and get as many cardholders as humanly possible since the default risk now belongs to TD Bank.

One day as a guest I walked into a neighboring Spot (sans red and beige):

Look through posted ad with the little notices on it about a redcard.
Walked past signs shouting 5% down nearly every endcap front and back. Little signs by major electronics items declaring this great deal. Signs down each lane and above each lane urging me to get a card.

Then the cashier asked me if I knew of the Target card options?

I know what I thought, but I wonder what the average guest must think about how we seem to think they must all be suffering from severe ADD.

I held up my discount card and said "Yes, yes, I do..." and paid for my stick of gum.

Also take into account that Spot just invested millions of dollars expanding into canada. This means that all profits made go to paying of that investment> thus pushing for a form of payment that saves the company fees and brings in more money for guest loyalty. Thus the big push. They know that there is a profit to be had from this but if they can pay the debt off sooner then its a faster payout. Yeah its a pain in the a**** but thats what the company os going for.

I don't know, but I can tell you this: cashiers don't get paid nearly enough to hawk, pitch, peddle and sling credit cards. And then to be written up for doing it "poorly". Double their pay and given them a commission on each one and then we'll revisit the issue.

I don't know, but I can tell you this: cashiers don't get paid nearly enough to hawk, pitch, peddle and sling credit cards. And then to be written up for doing it "poorly". Double their pay and given them a commission on each one and then we'll revisit the issue.

Why should cashiers get any kind of extra pay or benefits? Do I get extra pay for beating a CAF pull goal or a truck unload? Do I get extra pay for beating a planogram set goal? We are all paid an hourly wage to perform our core roles whatever they might be. I dont like pushing red cards as much as the next guy but that is also why i am not a cashier because I hate that aspect of the job more than any aspect i hate of any work center.

I think all Target TMs are underpaid. But there are some things in the pay structure that just don't make sense on a relative scale.

For example, a Photo Lab Assistant makes more than a GSA.

A GSA makes the same as a Flow TM/Backroom TM/Barista/Electronics TM, all non-supervisory roles.

Why should cashiers get any kind of extra pay or benefits? Do I get extra pay for beating a CAF pull goal or a truck unload? Do I get extra pay for beating a planogram set goal? We are all paid an hourly wage to perform our core roles whatever they might be. I dont like pushing red cards as much as the next guy but that is also why i am not a cashier because I hate that aspect of the job more than any aspect i hate of any work center.

Because a CAF pull goal or POG goal is within your control. The cashier's goals are subject to the guests. A cashier could be the best red card pusher in the store but if the guests say no, then there's not much they can do. I think it is ridiculous to have a cashier's job hinge on whether or not the guest wants to sign up for a red card, regardless of the benefits. In reality, they can't control the number anymore than the GSTL or LOD can.

Because a CAF pull goal or POG goal is within your control. The cashier's goals are subject to the guests. A cashier could be the best red card pusher in the store but if the guests say no, then there's not much they can do. I think it is ridiculous to have a cashier's job hinge on whether or not the guest wants to sign up for a red card, regardless of the benefits. In reality, they can't control the number anymore than the GSTL or LOD can.

This. THIS. A Thousand Times, THIS....

Honestly, even the most articulate, charismatic, persuasive, and persistent ( or even the most chatty, overbrearing, pushy, and intimidating ) among us can't do anything about it if the guest doesn't have proper ID ( this has happened to me-she had the checks, she was enthusiastic about signing up, until she realized she didn't know where her driver's license was, which totally changed the tone of her whole day, understandably ), doesn't have checks ( with them or at all, period )
, or is just not at all into the credit card option ( which I frankly don't blame 'em for ).

Very occasionally a guest will come back the same day to the same cashier with the necessary items to do their RC...

More often than not, the guest comes back when that cashier is off shift ( hours later, or the next day ) to be 'poached', so to speak, by another cashier ( I have had cashiers do this to me before my very eyes when we were far, far too busy for me to do anything about it ), or, rarely, the guest may come back much later and seek out the cashier that has been ringing them up ( thank you to all the guests who have done this for me- i don't get any kind of the bonus you think I do, but at least i don't get a coaching that month.. )..

If it was a simple question "Hey, want a red card? Save 5%!", then a simple yes or no answer to resolve it, then fine, ok.

But that's not now it is. They're treating cashiers like they work for a credit card company or in the finance department of a car dealership or like they're telemarketers. They're forcing them to force Target's financial agenda on them: "Don't take no for an answer, push and re-emphasize the benefits of the card, tell them how many other options there are if they decline one," etc. Then coaching and correctiveing them to the point of termination for not doing it well enough. They're treating them like they work at a bank and as if their entire pay is based on it, yet they're not paying them like they work at a bank or other financial institution.

That's why. It's really fuct up and completely unfair. Cashiers are there to ring people up; not hawk credit cards, peddle financial wares down people's throats, and sling financial agendas. That's what banks and junk mail credit card offers and telemarketers are for.

Get real, people, we *do* work for a credit card company. In one way or another, all redcards cost someone something to use, and those profits go right to Minnesota and the shareholders. If your stores are slumping in sales or at least making by the skin of their teeth, Redcards are the difference between making payroll or not. It no longer matters how many people are on the floor, as long as they are talking to every customer about a redcard.

One day, I want to just walk around the store, not asking if I can help anyone, but if I can sign them up for a redcard. Especially when we get our more-than frequent district idiot visits...

Get real, people, we *do* work for a credit card company. In one way or another, all redcards cost someone something to use, and those profits go right to Minnesota and the shareholders.QUOTE]

As employees we have the opportunity to BE shareholders and, thus, have a stake in the redcards. You want them to mean something to you? Sign up for the 401k. And because I AM a shareholder, do your job. Those of you who think it is NOT your job to "hawk credit cards" or anything else you've been asked to do, you are WRONG. Target is your employer. Your job is to do what they ask of you or to find a different job.

Then offer me something.more tangible than a cookie. Most of us working for Target aren't 5. I habe worked commission before and frankly, I miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back