Archived Why exactly is there such a big push for red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've slowly getting better rewards for attaining redcards.

Right now, you receive a fortune cookie for every one you get. Inside is an instant prize. Things like, extra 15 minute break, free food ave item, free Starbucks, $10 movie. It may not be much, but it's something.

I've worked for a many of retailers and they always want you to push something on your guests. Whatever makes the company money and will keep the guests coming back. You do it because it's your job to do it. It may suck, but that's the way it is.

If you're unhappy with your rewards then suggest something or reach out and see what other stores are doing.

Do something about it.

Take all the money spent on prizes and food in the breakroom and add it to our wages.

Any sales job worth 2 ****s will offer commission. If Target really wanted to make money, they would too. But they'd rather just bully the cashiers into doing it for nothing.

And please nobody say "But OMG, theres PRIZES Imerzan!", because I've been down that road before and have had to give out the stupidest **** for prizes. Its a joke. No one wants stupid prizes like candy, they want Superior Pay&Benefits like other outlets (Costco, Trader Joes, etc.)

For instance one idea... Cashiers are paygrade N03. If they keep their conversion at a Green % for a long enough time, maybe there could be Flex Paygrades where they bump up to N05. Honestly not enough to fix the problem of Giant Discount Retailers treating their workers like ****, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

Honestly, nothing will change until TMs stand up for themselves. There seems to be a lot of people here complacent with making a ****ty hourly wage, and being treated like ****, all because they're tapped into the illusion of the "Fast fun and friendly".

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to mention you are in retail, not sales.

The amount you make is not dependent on how much you sell.

The whole point of the redcard is to try more sales for the company, the more the company makes, the more you make.

No, it's noot gobs of money and seems that some stores are not as friendly as others, but you can't complain and try to make Spot what it isn't.

You want more money? So does the rest of the world, even the guys running these copanies.

Sorry, I worked at Ritz Camera for several years and we were paid commission. That was a job requiring knowledge, just like working electronics. No, cashiers couldn't do commissions, but why not the the department requiring actual training? And are you sating Target can't afford a buck for a new redcard?

Corporate, we know you're watching, stop bribing us with candy and actually pay us to hock your redcards!

I'm not stating anything of the kind.
You can'y compair Spot to Ritz, they are specialized and that's not Spot's business model.

Let me throw a "for instance".
Electronic TM gets their commision. Since Spot wants their employees to be global, I go in and back up in Electronics, sell a TV and attachments but I'm not an ETM, what happens? I lose on that because I'm not "specially trained"?

Can you see how in a store like Target ( They sell a bit of everything ) where that just doesn't work?

I just don't get why some TMs will defend spot when they could be doing better in almost ANY other company... Must be some strong Kool Aid your store is giving you.

Then offer me something.more tangible than a cookie. Most of us working for Target aren't 5. I habe worked commission before and frankly, I miss it.

But you took THIS job knowing what they will pay you. If you don't like this job and what they pay you, you have a choice. I do not feel that this is defending Spot. It's being a grown up with responsibility and knowing that I always have the choice to leave if I do not like the job. That could mean having no job, but it is always my choice. I take advantage of every single way I can make more money at the job I'm doing and I make sure that I get those opportunities by working my ass off and doing it with a good attitude. Nothing personal - this is also my choice.

Today I was on cashier and a GSTL came up to me and told me the operator would speak to me if I didn't get a redcard that day, but they left before my shift even ended. Was this an idle threat or does this really happen? I honestly ask for redcards, and I would of had two today but neither guest had a check to void. Which I can understand because I myself don't even carry checks. I continued to outline the policy for them, offered them brochures, and they said they'd be back soon.

I've gotten a few redcards before, not a lot but about 2-3. I am usually in a different area. I found it very odd that I was told this yet nothing happened to me. What is typical discipline for not getting redcards? I'm honestly irritated that I was called out because my guests don't feel comfortable buying a product at X point in time.

Any advice on handling this?

Last edited:
Today I was on cashier and a GSTL came up to me and told me the operator would speak to me if I didn't get a redcard that day, but they left before my shift even ended. Was this an idle threat or does this really happen? I honestly ask for redcards, and I would of had two today but neither guest had a check to void. Which I can understand because I myself don't even carry checks. I continued to outline the policy for them, offered them brochures, and they said they'd be back soon.

I've gotten a few redcards before, not a lot but about 2-3. I am usually in a different area. I found it very odd that I was told this yet nothing happened to me. What is typical discipline for not getting redcards? I'm honestly irritated that I was called out because my guests don't feel comfortable buying a product at X point in time.

Why would they have the operator speak to you?

The operator will call his lane and yell at him :) Lol.

I always told people when they mentioned commissions that as a cashier I got a percentage of everything that went through my register.....the more money I take in for them, the smaller the percentage my pay was.....

My store has started coaching for redcards. As long as you're trying you're all right, but I wouldn't be surprised if before long trying didn't matter anymore. Although, to be fair, if you're actually trying to get redcards and not just saying the same boring line over and over then you should be able to get at least a few per week.

I have absolutely NO idea. Whoever was going to speak to me was apparently the store operator/owner who is new around the same time I started. Never met this girl, and she knows nothing about me or my job/work center other than my paperwork in her office. I was irritated that the LOD or someone didn't come over and correct me, as per usual when I was new on cashier and had a problem, insulting really.

I have absolutely NO idea. Whoever was going to speak to me was apparently the store operator/owner who is new around the same time I started. Never met this girl, and she knows nothing about me or my job/work center other than my paperwork in her office. I was irritated that the LOD or someone didn't come over and correct me, as per usual when I was new on cashier and had a problem, insulting really.

You act as if they are supposed to care. They don't. We are here to drive sales and hock redcards, not make a living. Your leadership has risen to their positions during better times, and they have little perspective on how the rest of us struggle to maintain our jobs, lives, and dignity.

Just keep your head down, offer redcards, and stay quiet. They don't like boat-rockers.

Tonight, they actually had an associate standing in front of Guest Services trying to sell Redcards. There must be some sort of new big push or we are really behind for the month.

Anyone remember going to local malls and giving away 2 liter sodas to people who filled out an application? How about getting coached if you were late on your Target card payments?

During busy times, especially weekends, they have one or two people stand in the area between the doors and the carts trying to pitch redcards and give out applications. It's not recent though, it's been like that for well over a year now.

When I was in California for a couple weeks I went into a San Diego Target, and they had a big table near the entrance dedicated to the REDCard. They had a TM at it handing out applications to people/talking to people.

I was kinda baffled at this, considering we do nothing close to this in Twin Cities MN.

Yeah, that's what mine does on weekends. Sometimes during the week too. On really busy days there are two people doing it.

Two words... big data.

THIS is it. If you work for Target and haven't read the WAJ article on Andrew Poole, Google it. Yes, saving on fees,selling credit lines, paying for Canada, etc. is part of it. But stroll through some of the sharepoint archives on data mining and statistics and the value of collecting customer data is the new foundation of driving sales from HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back