Answered Why merchandise cards must be returned back on the merchandise card

I had a guest want to return an item. They used a merchandise card to purchase a portion of their transaction on the receipt and another portion of the transaction on a credit card. They had other items on the transaction. But when I did the return the system wanted the return to go back on a merchadise card.

The guest was angry because they wanted the return to be put back on there credit card.

Can someone explain to me why the return had go on the merchandise card since we can't really pin point which items the merchadise card was used on the purchase?

We issue merchandise refund cards for NO RECEIPT returns which most retailers won't even do.

Returns are done BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FORM of payment but it would do the merchandise card BEFORE it goes back to the credit card.

If I stole something and returned it to Target without a receipt I would issued a merchandise refund card. Target isn't going to let then return that item to and refund the amount back on a credit card anymore than giving them the refund in cash.

A couple of other things about NO RECEIPT returns is the return value starts dropping in value as it gets closer to 90 days and after that is ZERO. So if you are trying to return that unused winter coat you will get nothing.

Sometimes you can't even do a NO RECEIPT return but only get credit for buying something in the same department like baby diapers for example.

It’s to protect target so that people can’t return things with no receipt, receive a merchandise return card, and then purchase things with that card and return them for cash (or money back on a credit/debit).

that would be essentially trading your merchandise return card for cash. If a guest does not want a merchandise return card, then they can return things with a receipt

Old thread but does anybody have a policy we can specifically point out saying that the money has to be returned all the way to the merch card before any other payment method. Even if they paid part of there transaction in cash or credit.

No receipt, yes back on the card.
If this item is no longer in the system and/or bought more than 90 days ago the return might be ZERO.

Sometimes if you are returning items without a receipt you might only be able to EXCHANGE it for something in the same department.

Target scans your license to limit your returns. I see Target merchandise at resale stores all the time. Therefore you could buy something there for a few bucks then try to get a merchandise card for much more money.

I’ll take a look at the back of the merch cards. To be clear I am talking about guests who have a receipt and they go to return stuff, and the system requires it to go back to a merch card since part of the transaction was paid with one.

So say they got a Merch card for a fraudulent no receipt return and then used a CC to pay maybe $5 of the new merchandise total. How easily could fraud skyrocket if people knew they would just have to pay a portion with a CC in order to get the whole back on the CC? Merch cards are kinda meant to penalize you for not having a receipt in the first place.

The workaround is to buy stuff you won't return. Buy food or personal products or something to use up the merchandise card.

I’ll take a look at the back of the merch cards. To be clear I am talking about guests who have a receipt and they go to return stuff, and the system requires it to go back to a merch card since part of the transaction was paid with one.
I don't know if it is specifically policy but the system is set up to use the original form of payment in the order that the payment was used. As mentioned guests typically use the mech cards first, so if they are returning it would go to the mech card. Other than using an override for a different form of payment, you could suggest to the guest for future transactions if they buying something that they may be returning they should expect the credit to go back on a mech return card if used and may want to pay for the item separately or the same thing will happen again.

I don't know if it is specifically policy but the system is set up to use the original form of payment in the order that the payment was used. As mentioned guests typically use the mech cards first, so if they are returning it would go to the mech card. Other than using an override for a different form of payment, you could suggest to the guest for future transactions if they buying something that they may be returning they should expect the credit to go back on a mech return card if used and may want to pay for the item separately or the same thing will happen again.
New system won’t even allow overrides so I’m expecting more angry people sometimes. It’s mainly where they say they spent $300 cash, $100 merch, they return $150 worth of merchandise with receipt, register forces it $100 to go back on merch but the guest wants the portion they paid card with.

New system won’t even allow overrides so I’m expecting more angry people sometimes. It’s mainly where they say they spent $300 cash, $100 merch, they return $150 worth of merchandise with receipt, register forces it $100 to go back on merch but the guest wants the portion they paid card with.
Nope, the system always gives back the amount on the gift card or merchandise card first. A guest who is not trying to pull a scam should understand that.

Back