Archived why target cut hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why target cut hours ?last week I only worked one day as cart attendant ,does it have to do with being seasonal?

Its the end of the fiscal year and business slows between now and may. Its normal and alot is based on availability and who kisses whose butt sadly. Even with open availability i am getting 18hrs but someone who has closed availability is getting 32hrs because she kisses our etls butts daily. Welcome to retail -_-

Most retailers cut hours in January. Technically the fiscal year doesn't start until February. So cutting hours after having 2 months of plentiful hours is expected financially. Utilize the swap board to pick up hours and ask to be crossed trained in other workcenters.

Its the end of the fiscal year and business slows between now and may. Its normal and alot is based on availability and who kisses whose butt sadly. Even with open availability i am getting 18hrs but someone who has closed availability is getting 32hrs because she kisses our etls butts daily. Welcome to retail -_-

SAME!

My coworker gets tons of red cards & gets 30+- hours. I’m sure there’s some correlation? Guess I’ll try even harder!

When they go up again do they go up to where they were around the holidays or is that typically just that time of year?

When they go up again do they go up to where they were around the holidays or is that typically just that time of year?

To be honest it's not going to really go up again until back-to-school. March April and May we do a little bit better but January and February are notoriously slow.

same here I got cut majorly with my hours I only work 16hrs a week now

I tell people every year when you're getting way more hours then you want in December that's a very good time to start saving money.

Stores still care about red cards? Huh. My store entirely dropped them a month or two before the fourth quarter

Yes my store cares a whole lot and have been keeping an eye on cashiers who haven’t got one in a while. They do give us incentives so we can look forward to getting red cards.

I have to disagree with the excuses Target gives for crumbs of hours. I can't even believe our people listen to the excuses.

There's a big difference between excuses and reasons. THIS year Target has ONLY excuses, not reasons.

Excuses are essentially lies or otherwise unprovable statements. Reasons are legitimate whether acceptable or not. Reasons, unlike excuses, have value.

Look around your store. Is is just the four stores I go to or are there people working there that weren't there even on Black Friday AND if you check their last names and look them up on printed schedule they've the hours YOU keep begging for!

Yes, I'm not going to lie. I know of what I speak and this last quarter sickens me as I see people here for years being denied hours and those that stated AFTER Christmas HAVE them.

Swap shifts are ridiculous as well. No fair play there.

I speculated that call outs were increase when shifts were shortened. I guessed right. Younger workers will blow off 4 hour shifts.

I just make sure to respond quickly when asked to come in to cover.

Sure enough, my hours are going back up to decent.

You have TMs who started *after* Christmas?

After no. The week before Christmas? Yes. Man, they're bad. Who the fuck had time to train them then? Nobody and it shows. They keep getting hours though. Nevermind they can't figure out that if an item doesn't have a location on the floor in the Zebra, you probably shouldn't fucking put it out on the floor.

Ok, so are hour cuts THAT bad? My store has slashed front end hours to the bone. The 1 GS TM is supposed to do the DriveUp orders and Bullseye's Playground. We're having only SCO open for at least the first hour of the day, including weekends. The seniors and soccer Moms aren't happy to have to both wait in line, and then scan and bag their purchases. And CAs don't come in until afternoon when we run out of carts by late morning.

I don't get it. My store comped up over 5% over last year.

Is this a company trend, or is my store syphoning front end hours to support elsewhere in the store.

Last edited:
Ok, so are hour cuts THAT bad? My store has slashed front end hours to the bone. The 1 GS TM is supposed to do the DriveUp orders and Bullseye's Playground. We're having only SCO open for at least the first hour of the day, including weekends. The seniors and soccer Moms aren't happy to have to both wait in line, and then scan and bag their purchases. And CAs don't come in until afternoon when we run out of carts by late morning.

I don't get it. My store comped up over 5% over last year.

Is this a company tread, or is my store syphoning front end hours to support elsewhere in the store.
Normal last year we only had my gstl and me SCO TM scheduled from 8-10 am during Feb-April I watch SCO, ring up guests/returns with the closest register and also guest service calls with my GSA/GSTL while they did Cash office guest service opening routines.

Normal last year we only had my gstl and me SCO TM scheduled from 8-10 am during Feb-April I watch SCO, ring up guests/returns with the closest register and also guest service calls with my GSA/GSTL while they did Cash office guest service opening routines.

Even weekends?? We're way too busy on Saturdays to not have a cashier by 8:15!

Wondering if the system is putting out a schedule like this, or the STL is creating this mess. I've done a few of these SCO shifts and too many guests complain, some even try to have a discussion or pick an argument about it. I apologize and tell them I'd be "glad' to ring up their items...at the SCO.

If they're persistent, I just tell them this is how the schedule was made and that being just a cashier I don't get any input in the schedule. Just frustrating that I'm supposed to defend/explain lack of coverage to our guests.

We are ULV with IGS, and we have opening GSA, SCO, and IGS. We get a cart attendant/cashier/drive up person around noon weekdays. Weekends it is the same time, but carts/drive up only (unless needed for backup).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back