Archived Why we are not allowed to fully reach 40 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that you can get coached for even a minute of overtime, but around Christmas I went over by a few minutes, and no one said anything to me. It was only a quarter though lol

I was terrified the first time I hit 40. I lucked out and missed a punch that I had to correct and when I did that I shaved some time off. I think I was still in overtime, but I cut like 15min off so it wasn't as extreme ("extreme" is a relative term. I didn't even hit 41hrs, so it shouldn't have been a big deal anyways. Spot is in desperate need of some perspective in this area)

No one ever said anything to me about any of it, thankfully.

Within a month I was consistently getting 40hrs and from November-January my STL basically let me work as much as I wanted. That ended for a bit as our store underwent extensive leadership changes, but just recently we've been in a slump and we're trying to bring our numbers back up, so OT has been approved on a case-by-case basis again.

Apparently other TMs have talked crap about me getting so many hours while they're still just scheduled the standard Flow hours, but I have no sympathy. I expressed an interest in being trained for backroom. I consistently stayed over- whether it be 10min or 2-3hrs whenever it was needed. I came in on my days off. I never complained about tasks I was given. These people run to the time clock 2 minutes before their shift ends, take 20+ min breaks, spend half their shift standing around talking. ...you really have to wonder why I'm "hogging the hours"?!? o_O

Sure, I have my bad days, but overall I know I'm productive enough to justify paying me time and a half instead of paying some of our other TMs the normal rate.

This happened to me yesterday. As I was punching in, the time clock said that I had worked 40.2 hours before my shift because I extended (extreme circumstances due to callouts) and came in early for a couple of shifts during the week and I let my HR team member know about this. Apparently the time clock had the incorrect number of hours worked (not sure how that happened) and I had worked about 35-36 hours so my GSTL and HR decided to cut my shift from 4 hours to 3 hours. I wish that they wouldn't schedule me for only 4 hour shifts, but 3 hours is even worse (thankfully I live near my store so I don't have to drive except for late night/closing shifts). If I hadn't said anything about this, I wonder if my store's leadership would have said anything about me hitting 40 hours. If such a situation were to happen again, maybe I shouldn't say anything and just hit overtime, even if it is my "responsibility" to avoid hitting 40 hours.

If I hadn't said anything about this, I wonder if my store's leadership would have said anything about me hitting 40 hours. If such a situation were to happen again, maybe I shouldn't say anything and just hit overtime, even if it is my "responsibility" to avoid hitting 40 hours.

If you must know, the STL and ETL-HR looks at a report that can tell them exactly who hit OT and used how much OT. Then, the other ETLs find out who is on this list. They will probably have a chat with you to see what happened and remind you to make sure to clock out before OT next time.

Most big corporations hate overtime. Target is no exception.

Let's say you are in the market to buy widgets, lots of widgets. You go into Target. Widgets are $10. You grab a bunch of them and head to checkout. After ringing up 40 widgets at $10 each, the 41st widget rings up at $15. You complain to the cashier only to be told that any widget purchases after 40 cost 1.5x the sticker price. What are you going to do? You'll buy the 40 widgets and because you still need more widgets, you'll drive down the street to Wal-Mart where you can buy more for $10 a piece.

Target can talk about team members and caring about employees. Individual leaders might care about you. But, to corporate you are nothing more than a widget, a widget they value at your base hourly rate. They don't want to pay more when they can pay another widget at his or her base hourly rate. They only "want" to pay you more when you're the only widget available to purchase and they really need widgets.

It’s weird reading about OT at other stores because at my store the projected overtime report is full of people every week and Sundays don’t even count toward OT because it’s in a separate payroll :oops:

40 hours is okay. 40 hours and one minute is not because overtime gets flagged to group leadership and now your store needs to answer as to why a team member has overtime.

Let the store answer it. They're the one's creating the shitty scheduling, like scheduling people against availability, denying people time off requests therefore encouraging people to call out, creating an unpleasant atmosphere where everyone has no respect for fellow workers, again encouraging call outs. Then those of us who are in on time everyday now have to deal with workload 5 times as much and that happening at least twice a week, easy to fall behind and have to stay to catch up. And what about "putting the guest first" Are you going to tell John, "I can't help you because I will hit OT by a minute and my ETL will not be happy and I'll get in trouble." ?

How about the constant call outs list go to the group leader so they can go after those that are still here despite so many call outs. And ask the store why are you keeping unreliable workers here. That's how the butt kissers will be forced out and not end up promoted.

Fuck 1 minute of OT. Do how much OT you want. Tell them that communication wasn't good on whether or not it is allowed. They have call outs all the time. And always will. And everyone doesn't hit OT. Target will not be broke. When anyway the next schedule they post there will be no way for you to get OT.
'

Go ahead. Feel free to go overtime. You definitely won’t be getting it in the next few weeks. If you’re lucky they’ll give you time off on Thanksgiving!!!
Wow, I didn't expect to be attacked for my sentiments. I mean I extended on Thursday because we had four front end callouts (1 guest service, 1 cart attendant, and 2 closing cashiers). If Target wanted to avoid overtime, maybe they can reduce the hours for the team members who call out frequently or schedule more than a bare bones in all departments so one or two callouts won't mean crazy long lines at the registers. What a novel concept!
I'll admit that I am frustrated that Targer "emphasizes" guest service yet our store (and many others I'm sure)'s have crazy long lines and the softlines/hardlines look like a natural disaster struck them since they haven't been zoned properly due to scheduling cuts to meet payroll.
I hate to whine and play the victim, but I have never called out and extended/come in early all the time when asked and I don't appreciate having my short shift cut shorter to avoid overtime like what happened on Saturday.
Obviously, I understand that Target would rather not pay for overtime, but they should crack down on team members that call out frequently, except for emergencies.

I actually wouldn't mind to cut my shift on Saturday if due to OT. Let the rest who are here on Saturday do some work! (Or whatever your 5th day)

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

I apologize if this wasn't a bump that contributed in a positive manner. I was just curious about how others felt about Target wanting its team members to avoid overtime.
I guess most stores will let you know if you hit overtime and "retaliate" by cutting your hours in the future. Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't extended, leaving a bare-bones front end with not enough coverage, especially during breaks and angry/impatient guests.

At my store, HR emails all of the leaders a list of all of the OT with instructions that it must be cut ASAP, and to avoid waiting until the weekend to cut it. Usually it says ‘no OT is approved’, but we all know the same 2 logistics leaders that are on there weekly with 8-16 hours of OT won’t be cutting it. Usually we send people home early or have them come in later to cut it, except for those unfortunate enough to be vital coverage; they’re stuck taking a longer lunch instead. Team members are coached for unapproved OT unless it was a leaders fault for extending them or putting them in a position where they couldn’t cut it in time, then it’s the leader getting coached.

Fun fact; if you have OT due to a missed punch and correct it after payroll closes, you’ll be on the next OT report with negative OT, which lowers the collective amount. Funny, but makes your ETL HR super aware of your wonky punches.

The same thing happened this week and I was scheduled for over 40 hours after being called in early on Monday to fill in for the cart attendant who called out and I extended on Tuesday as well. This meant that I had to cut my shift short tonight, and while it's unfortunate, the HR were REALLY concerned about me hitting overtime. Like others have mentioned, Target gets what they want, so it would be best not to fight for overtime, and just do what management wants.

Like others have mentioned, Target gets what they want, so it would be best not to fight for overtime, and just do what management wants.
Yeah, if overtime is not approved, make sure you don’t get OT, not even a minute. If leadership is watching and you mess them up, they will definitely get you back, and they hold all the cards...🙄

My store has been cracking down on OT for the first time ever. It's honestly annoying to constantly being told about it like we don't know.
And that’s for this week. Last week I had 48 and the week before about 50 . I worked 2 times in the same day.

Attachments

• AA0168B3-0044-4751-8110-5F15BDD8944D.jpeg
    AA0168B3-0044-4751-8110-5F15BDD8944D.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 25
I’ve had times where staffing at my store was abysmal enough that I was scheduled into overtime because the leadership knew I could get a lot more done in that time than some of the other team members with that time. Q4 the fear of overtime goes out the window here, I remember seeing a single week on my schedule with 65 hours a year or two ago.

Whats popular is the A-team flow members to get exactly 40hr because they work 6 days and extend almost every day and on there 2 short shift days there normally pressured to stay untill there 5th so that throws off there times and they end up hitting OT by accident by like a few minutes but i dont know why but because there only 2 of them and they pretty much push the whole truck on there own so the store just ignores it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back