SENSITIVE TOPIC Why we do mass shooting training

The odds of you ever being in a mass shooting are almost infinitesimal. If I'm not mistaken despite the media hubbub theyre also declining. IMO the training is way too many resources on something not helpful, and worse I fear it might put ideas in some people heads.

Honestly spot would get more safety mileage out of a class on safe driving to work, or almost anything.

None of us are ever going to be in a "mass shooting". We just aren't. If covid taught anything it's that a lot of people dont understand statistics.

Last edited:
The odds of you ever being in a mass shooting are almost infinitesimal. If I'm not mistaken despite the media hubbub theyre also declining. IMO the training is way too many resources on something not helpful, and worse I fear it might put ideas in some people heads.

Honestly spot would get more safety mileage out of a class on safe driving to work, or almost anything.

None of us are ever going to be in a "mass shooting". We just aren't. If covid taught anything it's that a lot of people dont understand statistics.
Considering I work in the same area as a supermarket shooting, I'd say that is wrong.

You are mistaken.

Rates of mass shootings have tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011 there was a mass shooting every 200 days. Between 2011 and 2014 every 64 days.

Mid-May 2021 we were averaging 10 a week.

2022 alone there have been over 300.

I'm in Texas where there's LOTS of guns & we've had five mass shootings with NO meaningful changes except to loosen gun laws even further.

You are mistaken.

Rates of mass shootings have tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011 there was a mass shooting every 200 days. Between 2011 and 2014 every 64 days.

Yup plus they weasel out of counting some mass shootings in a similar way of saying you died from the flu or pneumonia instead of covod

You are mistaken.

"However, the most commonly cited definition of “mass shooting” in the media is that of the Gun Violence Archive, which uses a “purely statistical threshold to define mass shooting based only on the numeric value of four or more shot or killed, not including the shooter.”
As a result of the Gun Violence Archive’s running count, the public is led to believe that random incidents of mass murder happen all the time in America. So far in 2022, the Gun Violence Archive has recorded 213 incidents that it defines as “mass shootings.”

Just nine, though, meet the FBI’s definition of a “mass murder.” And seven of those were domestic violence incidents or gangland shootouts.

In 78 of the Gun Violence Archive’s 213 alleged mass shootings this year, a full 37%, no one was killed. In 156 of them (73%), either no one or one person was killed. Less than one percent of them (two out of 213) meet the commonly understood definition of a “mass killing.”

This isn't about mass killings. This is about mass shootings. Someone walked into a place and tried to kill people with a gun. Just because they sucked at it doesn't mean we should go "eh well no one died so guess its not a big deal".

But let's play then FBI's own website using their definition. https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-rele...esignates-61-active-shooter-incidents-in-2021

FBI Designates 61 Active Shooter Incidents in 2021​

More Than 50% Increase from Previous Year
In 2021, the FBI designated 61 shootings as active shooter incidents. In these incidents, 103 people were killed and 140 wounded, excluding the shooters. For the period 2017–2021, active shooter incident data reveals an upward trend. The number of active shooter incidents identified in 2021 represents a 52.5% increase from 2020 and a 96.8% increase from 2017. Today, the FBI released the Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2021 report.

Casualty counts are higher for 2021 (243) when compared with 2020 (164), indicating a 48% increase. The casualties in 2021 represents the third highest total casualty count over the last five years (2017–2021). 2021 saw the highest number of deaths (103) since 2017, a 171.1% increase from 2020 and above the average (92.3) for the period 2017–2020. There was an 11.1% increase in people wounded (140) in 2021 compared with 2020 (126), but below the average (253) for the period 2017–2020.

Sounds like it's still going up.

This isn't about mass killings. This is about mass shootings. Someone walked into a place and tried to kill people with a gun. Just because they sucked at it doesn't mean we should go "eh well no one died so guess its not a big deal".

But let's play then FBI's own website using their definition. https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-rele...esignates-61-active-shooter-incidents-in-2021

FBI Designates 61 Active Shooter Incidents in 2021​

More Than 50% Increase from Previous Year
In 2021, the FBI designated 61 shootings as active shooter incidents. In these incidents, 103 people were killed and 140 wounded, excluding the shooters. For the period 2017–2021, active shooter incident data reveals an upward trend. The number of active shooter incidents identified in 2021 represents a 52.5% increase from 2020 and a 96.8% increase from 2017. Today, the FBI released the Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2021 report.

Casualty counts are higher for 2021 (243) when compared with 2020 (164), indicating a 48% increase. The casualties in 2021 represents the third highest total casualty count over the last five years (2017–2021). 2021 saw the highest number of deaths (103) since 2017, a 171.1% increase from 2020 and above the average (92.3) for the period 2017–2020. There was an 11.1% increase in people wounded (140) in 2021 compared with 2020 (126), but below the average (253) for the period 2017–2020.

Sounds like it's still going up.
This is so true and trauma is real. Chiropractor told me that but this is out of a book he wrote.

Back