Do you think I will get fired?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I screwed up this week and I am still on probation, so I'm really worried that I am going to get fired. I told a guest that I was closed while I was walking away from the register to put away a cart. I then saw that the a big line was forming at the other registers, so I turned my light at the register on again to take some guests. The guest I turned away came running back and started yelling at me. When I get nervous and put in confrontational situations, I kind of sheepishly smile. She thought I was laughing at her and started yelling even more. I got really nervous, so all I could say was that I'm sorry. Basically she was really. really mad and the GSTL had to give her a gift card to calm her down. I know that I was in the wrong and I should have explained myself in that situation. But, I am naturally shy and bad at confrontation, so I let my habits get the best of me. Will I get fired since I am still on probation?

For some background, I think in general I am an okay cashier. I am pretty good at getting red cards everyday that I am scheduled. I did have to call off one day, though.

I screwed up this week and I am still on probation, so I'm really worried that I am going to get fired. I told a guest that I was closed while I was walking away from the register to put away a cart. I then saw that the a big line was forming at the other registers, so I turned my light at the register on again to take some guests. The guest I turned away came running back and started yelling at me. When I get nervous and put in confrontational situations, I kind of sheepishly smile. She thought I was laughing at her and started yelling even more. I got really nervous, so all I could say was that I'm sorry. Basically she was really. really mad and the GSTL had to give her a gift card to calm her down. I know that I was in the wrong and I should have explained myself in that situation. But, I am naturally shy and bad at confrontation, so I let my habits get the best of me. Will I get fired since I am still on probation?

For some background, I think in general I am an okay cashier. I am pretty good at getting red cards everyday that I am scheduled. I did have to call off one day, though.

If the GSTL didn't pull you aside at the end of your shift, then your okay.

Basically, she said that an lod wanted her to pull me aside to talk to me. Also, she said that the guest was really upset that I refused service to her, but serviced another guest. She said that I may have to meet with someone else, or something like that (don't remember exactly). I then told her my side and that I had no malicious intent, and she said that she understands and she doesn't think anything will happen. Not really sure how much weight that carries though.

Basically, she said that an lod wanted her to pull me aside to talk to me. Also, she said that the guest was really upset that I refused service to her, but serviced another guest. She said that I may have to meet with someone else, or something like that (don't remember exactly). I then told her my side and that I had no malicious intent, and she said that she understands and she doesn't think anything will happen. Not really sure how much weight that carries though.

Well...Id say your okay. You didn't do it on purpose. Use it as a learning experience. Most likely your ETL-GE will take your GSTL opinon. They sound like they like you so at most you get written up. Next time just help the guest and tell your GSTL/GSA what your doing so they know why your not ringing up people.

Well...Id say your okay. You didn't do it on purpose. Use it as a learning experience. Most likely your ETL-GE will take your GSTL opinon. They sound like they like you so at most you get written up. Next time just help the guest and tell your GSTL/GSA what your doing so they know why your not ringing up people.

Thanks for your input! But what happens if they don't like me? I think they think I am too needy because I ask a lot of questions...

Thanks for your input! But what happens if they don't like me? I think they think I am too needy because I ask a lot of questions...

I think your still okay even if they didn't. Id expect you to have questions as a new cashier. When you get into your 90 days your questions should be more complicated and not basic like how do you take credit cards or how to sign a guest up for red card.

Gah. It drives me nuts when a TL uses "they wanted me to talk to you". Your GSTL should have pulled you to the side and asked you what you could have done differently in that situation. Inadvertantly you caused a guest to have a poor experience. Since the front is all about the guest, you needed to be talked to.

What would go a long way with me is if you approached me and said, Hey green. I know I upset that guest and I think I could have handled it better if I ______. One of my opportunities is how to handle confrontation. Could you give me some pointers? (This would show me you owned it, knew what to do next time, and still wanted to develop skills)

I'm not hand slapping you at all, just trying to share what would be going through my mind if you were on my team.

Not fired, but GSTLs might become a stickler towards you. Personally, I think the guest overreacted 100%. I have no idea if you're new at all(I assume so) and I would of just kissed her ass and told her "They needed me back on, I'm sorry"

I've learned more than ever after a good two years straight of cashiering that you must develop a backbone, I still haven't fully developed it, I've had a few angry guests lately as well and it's nerve wracking, but I feel absolutely nothing anymore towards them, I'll say I'm sorry blah blah explain myself and then help them and hopefully turn over a new leaf but... I dunno I'm just sputtering by now.

Don't be afraid to keep asking questions, I felt the same exact way and honestly I didn't care if they were annoyed, I needed help with something most of the time when I began working here and didn't hesitate to turn my blinker on. I felt as long as stuff got done they were fine, and they should be fine with it either way. They're there to help you, if they're not willing to they should be stripped of their leadership titles. GSAs are generally the ones who seem annoyed because they're basically cashiers except with GSTL duties and less pay and only slightly more than a regular cashier. So basically a GSTL with less pay.

Some thoughts:

1. It must've not been that slow for you to put a cart away if long lines were forming just because you were gone a few seconds (?) putting away a cart.

2. No need to walk the cart back to the front...just push it out of the way and then let the cart attendant/GSTL handle it -- unless it is really dead.

3. If you weren't planning on leaving the lanes for good, you might have just turned off your light and told the guest to go ahead and put stuff on the belt because you'd be right back.

Asking questions isn't bad. Better than someone who doesn't care.

Worst case they decide not to keep you past the 90 but this is nothing getting red cards can't heal. I imagine they will forget about it over time but I believe this incident was completely avoidable and you need to own that.

3. If you weren't planning on leaving the lanes for good, you might have just turned off your light and told the guest to go ahead and put stuff on the belt because you'd be right back.

Great point. You were wrong for turning your light off to put away a cart. That is poor guest service because it implies putting carts away is more important than helping guest.

You should only turn your light off if you are off, going to break or being pulled aside by a leader.

When I get nervous and put in confrontational situations, I kind of sheepishly smile.
this is also something to work on. If someone closed their lane in front of me, went to another lane to help a guest, then smiled at me, I would be pretty upset too. (not yell at manager and make a big scene upset, but maybe passive-aggressive survey response upset). I would assume it was because you didn't want to help me, maybe just because I have a big cart, or something like that

i also agree NEVER turn off your light just to move a cart, especially if it's so crowded that lines form that quickly.

if you absolutely must move this cart, which you really shouldn't need to, leave your light on and quickly get the cart out of the way

as others pointed out however, it was a mistake, and you seem to have learned from it. just don't do it again and you'll be fine

Every day is a new day at Target,as said above learn from it,there are few of us who have not upset an occasional guests intentionally or otherwise,it's back to school time so it won't take much to upset some,do your best as you go and you will be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back