Will I get fired?

Hi I just started working at target 4 days ago... This is so embarrassing. I had symptoms of coughing and fever yesterday. I had spoken to a TL this morning saying I had a very bad fever and could not come in and he said to let them know if I still cant come in tomorrow. I did an at home tester for covid-19 just 30 minutes ago and have tested positive. I'm doing a second one just in case. I'm really scared because I really need this job and worried they will fire me. If anyone with a similar experience could help me that would be great. Again I just started working here and not sure how this works.

Last edited:
Solution
Call your store and tell them you tested positive.
Get a PCR test.
Call 1-800-828-5850
Send your paperwork.
Go on leave.
Hi I just started working at target 4 days ago... This is so embarrassing. I had symptoms of coughing and fever yesterday. I had spoken to a TL this morning saying I had a very bad fever and could not come in and he said to let them know if I still cant come in tomorrow. I did an at home tester for covid-19 just 30 minutes ago and have tested positive. I'm doing a second one just in case. I'm really scared because I really need this job and worried they will fire me. If anyone with a similar experience could help me that would be great. Again I just started working here and not sure how this works.
You can't control being sick. Most employers want you to stay home until you test negative. If you let them know and follow the steps they want you to do ( sorry I'm not updated on the current COVID policy) then you are good to go. If they let you go then you can claim unemployment.

If you have a positive test you can't go to work. Get a lab test done. Your not going to get fired it's just unfortunate. I have no idea if they'll cover for covid after 4 days, but I think they do. You can get up to 10 days off now. You have to put in for covid loa to get paid.

even if ive only been with the company for 4 days?
You will be fine just make sure they know its covid. I had a trainee who got it and she had only been on one shift (cleaely had ir before she came in that day but was to afraid to say anything 🙄) she went theough the steps and is now past her 90 days and dping fine in beauty.
Depending on your HR you will get 5 to 10 daya to recover. My store they are peetty strict on the 5 days. Again just keep your hr in the loop.

If you were calling out for like "a family emergency" or "Stomach bug" or some other over used bs reason your 90 days would be in question but covid is a different bag of worms and I am sure its going around your store so it wont be a big surprise

Stomach Bug translates to a stomach filled with beer the night before. Grow up, be responsible. Covid is certainly another story. HR will understand. I tested pos for C, went on Paxlovid for 5 days. Worked wonders. I felt awful for a few days, 102.9 F temp.

I have team mates who recently had it and could only get paid for 5 days. Maybe a case of ASANTS. Even my team lead only got 5 days.
They might have just changed it recently but I was eligible for 10 days back in June, went back early because I was better, but the pay was approved for 10 days minus what I actually worked

Are you feeling a bit better now? It certainly would be scary to test positive but try to remember, on the bright side of things, that the strains that people are catching now are very minimal and with luck you'll recover very quickly!

Sending good vibes and karma to you!

Back