Will the board call for Cornell to retire or resign???

Ok fellow Target folks, we’re getting slammed with freight, back rooms full to the tilt with no end in sight. I know that the high and mighty in MN knows what’s going on but continue to allow this to happen while collecting his paycheck. When will the board of directors say enough is enough and pull the trigger on Cornell? Hes getting close to 65 anyway and will be forced to retire so lets speed this along or give him a buyout and bring someone in to help clean this mess up. Q4 is coming and if backrooms are full now where are we gonna put Q4 freight?

Cornell was the best thing to happen to this company… 20 straight quarters of growth? That’s insane. The freight issue is an industry issue not a target issue. Targets actually one of the few companies smart even to openly talk about lower profits due to moving product at much cheaper prices to alleviate the issues. You do understand target as a company blew threw 5-10 year projections in the matter of a couple years due to the pandemic? There’s only so much one person or even a company can do in such a short time. This is a growing period for target and no one would have been able to predict the last couple year and make the “right” decisions in such unprecedented times. I think target as a company has adapted extremely well through the last few years. What’s your magical plan that a new magical ceo would accomplish?

Get rid of modernization and bring back different teams to get the job done. I’m pretty sure my store isn’t the only one but we’re out of room to unload trucks to the point we have numerous pallets on the floor, numerous carts of stray to where there are more stray than baskets for guest and we currently have 3 trailers full of freight that isn’t moving and has been there for months. Oh and OSHA already came in and made threats to get rid of issues before they come back which is on Friday.

We don't currently have a tech department due to the pallets of 3 truckloads of freight in all the aisles.... top leadership in a 5 hour conference call today. I think some shut's about to go down
My SD told me on Sunday that there was a big conf call today and hopefully a plan will be put in place.

Get rid of modernization and bring back different teams to get the job done. I’m pretty sure my store isn’t the only one but we’re out of room to unload trucks to the point we have numerous pallets on the floor, numerous carts of stray to where there are more stray than baskets for guest and we currently have 3 trailers full of freight that isn’t moving and has been there for months. Oh and OSHA already came in and made threats to get rid of issues before they come back which is on Friday.
Getting doubles every night for the past month+ til we ran out of vehicles to put freight on - every uboat, flat, two tier - still had half of the second truck to unload.

Cornell isnt even the one driving the profitd itd the fact thry have absolutely no competitionnin brick and mortar. He is lucky to be inna time where conpanies are allowed monopolization like this. Hence why they give no cares in MN about the hell us and the dcs are dealing with. The 1% never EVER will help or care about anything but their next house and yacht

Brian Cornell had the vision to turn every Target store into a mini fulfillment center and roll out and increase focus on order pickup+drive up, not to mention buying Shipt for same day delivery for not only Target itself but also many other stores.

BEFORE the pandemic. How big this was cannot be said. While every other company was scrambling to get this setup during the pandemic we had teams that were already trained and capable day 1.

How huge this very expensive investment has been for out company can never be stated enough. To the point where we are moving forward going full Amazon with delivering our own products in major cities.

Brian Cornell isnt going ANYWHERE.

Nope, your hours will continued to get cut while C-level and VPs collect millions in bonuses. Target got extremely lucky that as they were rolling out grocery pickup right before the pandemic happened. Even if he did get fired he'd get a golden parachute so he can go buy another yacht

Brian Cornell had the vision to turn every Target store into a mini fulfillment center and roll out and increase focus on order pickup+drive up, not to mention buying Shipt for same day delivery for not only Target itself but also many other stores.

BEFORE the pandemic. How big this was cannot be said. While every other company was scrambling to get this setup during the pandemic we had teams that were already trained and capable day 1.

How huge this very expensive investment has been for out company can never be stated enough. To the point where we are moving forward going full Amazon with delivering our own products in major cities.

Target has a mandatory retirement age of 65, and he is 64. He will be out after next year, uunless they decide to change the there policy.

Target has a mandatory retirement age of 65, and he is 64. He will be out after next year, uunless they decide to change the there policy.
A year is a very long time. When he has arguably made more money for the company than any other person in its history, zero reason to kick him out just because retirement is a year away.

A year is a very long time. When he has arguably made more money for the company than any other person in its history, zero reason to kick him out just because retirement is a year away.
Oh I don't think he's getting kicked out, just that his time is limited.

Where exactly is the documentation of the so-called "mandatory retirement age of 65"? Three decades ago, Congress enacted legislation explicitly prohibiting employers from imposing mandatory retirement ages for most workers as it is blatantly discriminatory. There might be a mandatory retirement age for CEO and board members, though I recall Walter Mondale served on the Target board well into his 80s. Please advise as to specifics.

Where exactly is the documentation of the so-called "mandatory retirement age of 65"? Three decades ago, Congress enacted legislation explicitly prohibiting employers from imposing mandatory retirement ages for most workers as it is blatantly discriminatory. There might be a mandatory retirement age for CEO and board members, though I recall Walter Mondale served on the Target board well into his 80s. Please advise as to specifics.
Former CEO Bob Urich was forced to retire when he hit 65. Gregg Steinhoffel took his place and we all know how that turned out.

AFAIK it is strictly for ceo. They probably use some bs workaround like they just step down from ceo and can do another role or whatever. I just remember it being big news with bob

Bears saying again!

We had everyone picking and packing the day of the lockdown. Didn't miss a beat.

Meanwhile, it was painful watching other retailers try to figure out what to do.

Brian Cornell also had the vision to strip staffing down to bare bones and he/it is irreparably hurting the brand year after year.

Target stores look like absolute dogshit dumpster fire trash compared to what they did 15+ years ago under Ulrich when Target had record levels of growth in terms of new stores going up. Virtually all of the store employees live substantially worse and significantly more stressed out day to day lives as a result. Absolute garbage looking stores. And there's no reason for it other than corporate and shareholder greed. Period. Honest to God, Target stores are starting to and often times do look worse than Wal-Mart stores in terms of zone and stock.

The two biggest things keeping Target in business are 1) reputation and 2) the fact that they're not Wal-Mart and the stigma attached to Wal-Mart(lack of other options)

People will catch on.

You can believe what you want, but I am here to tell you in no uncertain terms Target is in the process of going out of business. It will probably still take decades, but they are going down. None of these big box retailers go out of business in 1, 2, 5 years. It usually does take decades. There is a lot of inertia built up behind the Target beast, but it is going out nonetheless.

And you want to talk about how forward looking he is with multi channel shopping but fail to mention how absolute trash the search algorithm is on the website, still to this day. Go use the search feature for about 10 minutes and also look at the product pages themselves and then go use the search feature on Amazon for 10 minutes and look at those product pages. Target's website is an entirely different experience and not in a good way.

Hell, there are still KMart stores around, if only 2 or 3 nationwide. They still exist, unbelievably. They've been going out of business for damn near 30 years.

Target has completely lost and thrown away two of the three or four most important things it ever had going for it. 1) Clean, stocked, zoned and organized stores. 2) Exemplary customer service.

All in the name of profit. Not because they had to. Because of greed.

But you are right about one thing... Cornell isn't going anywhere so long as the numbers keep getting blacker and blacker, and they are... because of his relentless staffing cuts. When the tipping point truly hits and things start to shift in terms of profit, I'm afraid I'm not that smart and can't predict such things. But the outcome is inevitable without a drastic strategic shift.

Last edited:
Back