Archived Worked labor day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I know there was another thread that said we get double pay and half

the rules are different depending on your state, hardlinesmaster is correct.

also depends on if you are a TL, ETL, or a lowly team member.

I'm a TL it says on my paystub regular hours worked were 72 and holiday was 8 holiday prem 7.95 I know I worked 80 hours regular. I'm afraid to go to ETL HR because I hit overtime. Would a TM in HR be able to answer my question?

TL's are 8 hours holiday pay + 1.5x for the hours you work that day....right? That is 2.5x pay. The hours don't count towards your total for the week. So you can also work an additional 40 hours the rest of the week.

Let me illustrate:

Pay: $15.00
In a normal week it would be 40 hours x $15.00 = $600

Labor day week:
Holiday pay: $15.00 x 8 = $120
8 hour day @ 1.5 pay ($22.50) = $180
40 hour week x $15.00 = $600
Total = $900

Is this right?

TL's are 8 hours holiday pay + 1.5x for the hours you work that day....right? That is 2.5x pay. The hours don't count towards your total for the week. So you can also work an additional 40 hours the rest of the week.

Let me illustrate:

Pay: $15.00
In a normal week it would be 40 hours x $15.00 = $600

Labor day week:
Holiday pay: $15.00 x 8 = $120
8 hour day @ 1.5 pay ($22.50) = $180
40 hour week x $15.00 = $600
Total = $900

Is this right?

it's actually figured this way if your wage is 15.00/hr

32 regular hours worked = 480
8 hours worked on the holiday = 180 @ time and a half ($22.50)
8 hrs premium (TL benefit) = 120

the regular hours are completely separate from the holiday hours worked, and the holiday premium hours.

and if the TL did not work on the holiday - they would be paid their regular hours worked plus the premium amount.

this is assumed as a 40 hour work week.

Last edited:
Thanks Annie! Technically you could work 48 hours that week because the 8 you work on Labor day don't count towards your total....that's what I did in my example.

It isn't literally 2.5x pay. But essentially yes. For the holiday TLs receive 8 hours of holiday pay regardless if it is worked or not. And if they do work the holiday they will also receive the standard 1.5x pay for working.

Holiday pay (1x) + Time worked (1.5x) is essentially 2.5x assuming the TL works for 8 hrs on the holiday.

It isn't literally 2.5x pay. But essentially yes. For the holiday TLs receive 8 hours of holiday pay regardless if it is worked or not. And if they do work the holiday they will also receive the standard 1.5x pay for working.

Holiday pay (1x) + Time worked (1.5x) is essentially 2.5x assuming the TL works for 8 hrs on the holiday.

But if you only work a 5 hour shift, it's 8+5+2.5=15.5, which is just over "triple" pay. Or a 4 hour shift, which is 8+4+2=14, which is 3.5x pay.

See now why it doesn't make sense to call it "double time and a half" or "2.5x" etc.? It just doesn't make sense to assume 8 hours (my store rarely even used to let TLs work holidays unless it was completely unavoidable--and even when we were allowed to, it was almost never more than 5 hours).

Lol 2.5x pay? What are you living in some kind of dream world?

It's exactly 2.5 times pay. 8 hours @ 1.5 times + 8 hours holiday pay = 2.5 times pay. Like I said earlier....the best part is the hours you work on a holiday don't count in your hours for the week. You get 40 + whatever you work on the holiday. It's no skin off the store's back, unless you work more than 8 hours on the holiday. Weeks with holidays add up....BIG TIME! I'll go back and calculate the extra hours I worked last year during holiday weeks!

But if you only work a 5 hour shift, it's 8+5+2.5=15.5, which is just over "triple" pay. Or a 4 hour shift, which is 8+4+2=14, which is 3.5x pay.

See now why it doesn't make sense to call it "double time and a half" or "2.5x" etc.? It just doesn't make sense to assume 8 hours (my store rarely even used to let TLs work holidays unless it was completely unavoidable--and even when we were allowed to, it was almost never more than 5 hours).

I was going to quote your post in my old topic. You stated it clearly. Its not 2.5x pay.

At my store, if you are under 90 days, you DON'T get time and a half for working holidays.

At my store, if you are under 90 days, you DON'T get time and a half for working holidays.

Hmm...maybe that's how I managed to get both the 4th of July and Labor Day off....probably easier to give the days off than explain the lack of overtime pay and how unfair it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back