working a 2nd job

so i just recently had an interview at a apple store for a part time seasonal position and if i get hired it would require me to change my availability to unavailable during weekends and some weekdays, ideally id like to set it up so i dont work both jobs during the same day. if the position offered wasnt seasonal i would just consider putting in my 2 weeks as the pay from apple would be greater then what i make as a front of store attendant(cart attendant) im just concerned with how they will react to me being unavailable during holiday season. ive worked there for 6 yrs and currently is there main attendant. should i even consider trying to mess with my availability or should i just go on a brief LOA?

So you want to change your availability so that you can work for a store that sells some of the same things as Target making you unavailable to Target during the busiest days in the busiest time of year? And your back-up plan is for Target to approve a LOA so that they don’t get in the way of whatever schedule Apple gives you?
That’ll go over well...

i already get bad hours at target anyways lol and im willing to work out a schedule but if not and LOA is not an answer well i can move on i guess ive been wanting to work for apple for a while now

So you want to change your availability so that you can work for a store that sells some of the same things as Target making you unavailable to Target during the busiest days in the busiest time of year? And your back-up plan is for Target to approve a LOA so that they don’t get in the way of whatever schedule Apple gives you?
That’ll go over well...
i was only going to be unavailable during weekends and partially unavailable during weekdays ie unavailable mornings

unavailable is not good for scheduling...being available 5 days a week during certain hours will give the person making the schedule more lee way and room to breathe on how they can fit you...the harder you make it compounds because you're one of over 50 employees probably so imagine having to work around EVERYBODY and their schedule. Sure there's about maybe 8-10 of us who have full open availability but we get screwed by those who have no idea what their availability is and lie when they are hired and later amend it or so many other scenarios. I hope I made it kinda easier to understand. I feel bad for the person who has to write the schedule nowadays because I can tell they are trying to give us more hours but its just not there (at my store at least) I know all stores aint even close to being the same besides general layout and general practice.

unavailable is not good for scheduling...being available 5 days a week during certain hours will give the person making the schedule more lee way and room to breathe on how they can fit you...the harder you make it compounds because you're one of over 50 employees probably so imagine having to work around EVERYBODY and their schedule. Sure there's about maybe 8-10 of us who have full open availability but we get screwed by those who have no idea what their availability is and lie when they are hired and later amend it or so many other scenarios. I hope I made it kinda easier to understand. I feel bad for the person who has to write the schedule nowadays because I can tell they are trying to give us more hours but its just not there (at my store at least) I know all stores aint even close to being the same besides general layout and general practice.
so then if i do get hired by apple for seasonal should i just go LOA or what? if it was permenant i would put my 2 weeks but since it is seasonal i dont want to do that and be jobless later down the road, but i really want to work at apple so i dont know.

I can't imagine Spot letting you have off on weekends, EVER, let alone during Q4.

I'd try for LOA. Otherwise, you'll have to choose 1 job over the other.

Nobody will give you LOA to take another job.

They might if you don't request for it as such.

People in my store have taken LOA to go on vacations to Europe for example. Just y'know, go on "vacation".

They might if you don't request for it as such.

People in my store have taken LOA to go on vacations to Europe for example. Just y'know, go on "vacation".
Q4 you aren't going to get leave for vacation either.
If working at Apple is your dream, quit Target and roll the dice with Apple. Be the best employee they have so they will keep you.

I would talk to the GEETL and arrange to be available all weeknights. Tell them the truth (you make more at Apple) and that you really want to work something out with Target. Be available until close Monday through Friday. I would work with that. Tell them that you will work both places Thanksgiving weekend if you have to (open at apple and then push carts after).

But I say 50/50 on this. I'd be REALLY pushing the "I can't pay my bills otherwise" angle. I wouldn't agree to it personally, but you might have enough time in to pull it off.

Nobody will give you LOA to take another job.
never tell them thats why...Ive had three TMs take LOAs in the last 4 years and they all were working another job in the meanwhile. One of them even got caught by a TL and I guess he said he'd put his two weeks in as soon as he got back. Busted hard but not fired. How awkward is that, though? Lmao also @ the OP it's hard to say what you should do because employment at this time of year is a pain to keep and maintain...this is the holiday season and apple is probably a good short term gig as much as target is but like I said..I'd feel wrong to tell you what you should do in this situation. If anyone gives you advice I wouldn't take it. Do what you feel and don't lay too much of your emotions on the table. Good luck.

I would talk to the GEETL and arrange to be available all weeknights. Tell them the truth (you make more at Apple) and that you really want to work something out with Target. Be available until close Monday through Friday. I would work with that. Tell them that you will work both places Thanksgiving weekend if you have to (open at apple and then push carts after).

But I say 50/50 on this. I'd be REALLY pushing the "I can't pay my bills otherwise" angle. I wouldn't agree to it personally, but you might have enough time in to pull it off.
i would so do that but one of the requirements at apple is full time availability on weekends and most of the during weekdays so i would have to be available at target from 6-11 only due to travel time between jobs. its like a 45 min commute between if traffic is not horrible. and i would have to pick of of those nights to work nights at apple to. just recently received more info about the requirements at apple. but if i do start it wont be until mid december anyways, apple has a lenghty interview process and training process. as i said if it was for a permenant spot i would put my 2 weeks in without question, im just hesitant due to it being seasonal.

i would so do that but one of the requirements at apple is full time availability on weekends and most of the during weekdays so i would have to be available at target from 6-11 only due to travel time between jobs. its like a 45 min commute between if traffic is not horrible. and i would have to pick of of those nights to work nights at apple to. just recently received more info about the requirements at apple. but if i do start it wont be until mid december anyways, apple has a lenghty interview process and training process. as i said if it was for a permenant spot i would put my 2 weeks in without question, im just hesitant due to it being seasonal.
I left for a seasonal job and just started a full time job somewhere else. If you’ve been looking to get out I would go for it, but keep looking for something else while you’re at apple.

I left for a seasonal job and just started a full time job somewhere else. If you’ve been looking to get out I would go for it, but keep looking for something else while you’re at apple.
well im not looking for an out per say. i dont hate working for target the people at my location are great its just i dont make enough hourly there. my reasoning staying was so if i don't get offered a permenant spot at apple i have a fall back

Back