Archived working christmas eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my schedule says I am unavailable to work on Mondays, which is what Christmas eve falls on this year, I figured that since I was unavailable I wouldn't have to request the day off, but they still scheduled me. Do I have a case? or is this one of those "special" days where my availability doesn't matter? What about new years eve? Which also falls on a Monday. Is that considered a "special case" day?

Sorry you don't have a case. When I first started, I was only available on Fri, Sat, Sun since I had college classes and labs. I thought I was safe and planning to drive 5 hr back home for Christmas. Then the schedule rolled out, I was scheduled for Christmas Eve and the Day After which were all during the week.

The Black Friday, Christmas Eve, and Day After are all required work days to Target. They might not tell you...but if you try to fight it, they will say...DO YOU WANT YOUR JOB THEN?

It must depend on your store. There are several TMs who left their availability from school as is (since they had class on Monday in the fall) and have the day off. I know they would have preferred I had availability on the Wednesday after Christmas, but I didn't and they didn't ask.

I asked off for part of the day on Christmas Eve (can't say why, it would give me away), and it was not only granted, but the computer (as usual) gave me the full day off. I felt really bad and have been looking at the swap board daily to see if anyone is looking for Christmas Eve off, but apparently everyone at my store is okay with their schedule....probably because next week starts the great hours cut/shock.

Also, if whatever you are unavailable for on Mondays is a go on Christmas Eve, you might have had a case...if you would have mentioned to an LOD it when the schedule went up a week ago. Now? Not so much.

it was school, and I am going to call out, I'm to the point where I really don't care about this job.

If you have a school class or function, and are scheduled for a shift at that time and depending on your store

1. Your store will fill the shift for you

2. You will have to find someone to cover for you

3. Work the shift.

4. Call in well in advance.

If you have a school class or function, and are scheduled for a shift at that time and depending on your store

1. Your store will fill the shift for you

2. You will have to find someone to cover for you

3. Work the shift.

4. Call in well in advance.

I'm getting the feeling that AnonRed doesn't have anything school-related on Christmas Eve, they just don't want to work the shift. In that case, I would count #1 out, but the rest still apply.

If they scheduled you for this shift, they'll likely have no qualms about scheduling you on New Year's Eve, too.

If you really had a class, why didn't you say something as soon as the schedule went up?

Wasn't aware I would have to say anything at all considering my schedule clearly says unavailable on it...

I don't have school any more, I was just stating why my schedule had Monday marked as unavailable in the first place. In the end it really doesn't matter any more, I'm just going to call in Christmas eve and let them know I'm not feeling well. Hope they can find someone who will actually pick up a shift on Christmas eve lol

The reason why they override availability on holidays is because there is precious little that goes on during a public holiday, ESPECIALLY school. The only reason why ones availability might need to apply on a holiday is because it was for say, another job, in which case I doubt target really cares. Sorry, but Target knows as well as you do that you don't have school on Christmas Eve so of course they're going to override your availability. Not much sympathy here.

Wasn't aware I would have to say anything at all considering my schedule clearly says unavailable on it...

I don't have school any more, I was just stating why my schedule had Monday marked as unavailable in the first place. In the end it really doesn't matter any more, I'm just going to call in Christmas eve and let them know I'm not feeling well. Hope they can find someone who will actually pick up a shift on Christmas eve lol

OH my favorite kind of TM, that one that thinks they are entitled and screws everyone else working the holidays and makes it THAT much tougher on them as if working holidays wasnt bad enough, being understaffed because of callouts, horray

OH my favorite kind of TM, that one that thinks they are entitled and screws everyone else working the holidays and makes it THAT much tougher on them as if working holidays wasnt bad enough, being understaffed because of callouts, horray

Exactly. If you were a TM at my store and came to me right away as soon as you saw you were scheduled against your availability, we would have talked about it and I would have figured out a way to get you out of work that night, or maybe gotten someone to swap with you. Especially with being scheduled against your avail, for whatever reason, you would have had a case. But trying to get out of it that close to your scheduled shift? And calling out on a night like Christmas or Thanksgiving is pretty much the ultimate jerk move. Even if you hate your job and don't care about it, have some respect for your coworkers that have to cover your understaffed area. Especially on Christmas. :/

I have several coworkers who didn't change their school availability and have Christmas Eve off. But it varies by store, obviously. If one is ever scheduled against their availability, you should say something as soon as you see the schedule. The longer you ignore it, the more they will be annoyed and remember you when making upcoming schedules.

Every single time I've had issues (and it's rare) I let the LOD know immediately, so there are no questions asked and they take me off the schedule and find someone else for me.

lol touchy touchy touchy, hopefully I'll get out of target before I end up like any of you, clearly a life of retail with no real future has turned you all sour.

Its your duty to report any and all scheduling conflicts ASAP. Just because you filled out the availability form doesn't always mean your store will always go by it. If you plan on calling in on Christmas Eve, it wouldn't take too much thought from your Exec staff to figure out you were just ducking out of your shift.

Last edited:
lol touchy touchy touchy, hopefully I'll get out of target before I end up like any of you, clearly a life of retail with no real future has turned you all sour.

32395179.jpg

I got out of target 1 year ago. Walked out. Best decision I ever made in my entire life up until this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back