Archived Working Long Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a limit on how long a shift can be? Right now I'm scheduled 40 hours a week over 5 days. The weather here is turning bad quickly and I'd rather come in fewer days but work longer shifts. I've considered asking to work two 20 hour shifts but I REALLY don't think they'd let me do it. I'm thinking more along the lines of two 18 hour shifts or three 12 hour shifts. I've asked casually any policies about this and there doesn't seem to be one - just stay under 40 for the week, have atleast one day off during a Target week and don't work more than 6 hours before taking a meal.

Spot likes you to work 8 hours shift. Talk to your tl or etl about the schedule. Come January, you will have less hours..

Is there a limit on how long a shift can be?

Some states might have limits on how long you can work per day.

In general, there aren't really limits on daily shift length as long you take your rest breaks, meal breaks, and receive overtime (or even double time) pay if required by your state laws. Also, there needs to be at least 8 hours in between shifts.

I'd rather come in fewer days but work longer shifts. I've considered asking to work two 20 hour shifts but I REALLY don't think they'd let me do it. I'm thinking more along the lines of two 18 hour shifts or three 12 hour shifts. I've asked casually any policies about this and there doesn't seem to be one

Target doesn't really like people going above 8 hours per day (well, at least in my state due to OT laws). They are more lenient during the holidays but I doubt that they would let you do 18-hour shifts.

Last edited:
Depending on your state mine is a 6 hour work then 30 minute lunch you may have to take 2 lunches.

So most don’t work more than 12 hours in a shift
Work 6 am take lunch at last possible moment say 5 hours 45 mins. At 11:45 to 12:16, then work till 6 pm. Total work hours 11.50 and only 1 lunch any longer and you will have to clock out for a second lunch it’s just not worth it.

My store has meal breaks at the 6 hour mark, with a second one being required at 12 hours, so my longest shift has been 11 hours and 30 minutes to avoid hitting compliance.

There has to be at least 8 hours between shifts, and there's absolutely no way that your store is going to let you work an 18 hour shift. You'd have to have like three meal breaks and six rest periods, and honestly there's no way that any team member can deal with guests for 18 hours in a day.

What's your workcenter?

There has to be at least 8 hours between shifts, and there's absolutely no way that your store is going to let you work an 18 hour shift

Mine had someone do a 26 hour thanksgiving into black Friday but what the OP doesn't seem to realize is your store schedules you five separate days because they need coverage.

Yes a cashier may want to work two 20 hour days to get it over and have 5 days off but business needs will dictate he or she is needed on five separate days at a specific 8 hour interval to have good coverage at peak times.

For a while I was working 4-10 hour shifts. But that was AP and based on my prior experiences working in other positions around the store, AP is really the only area that offered that sort of flexibility.

Target is going to do what benefits them, not you. And regardless of your work center, I don’t see any way the schedule you are suggesting would benefit Target. Plus working 18-20 hour days just isn’t healthy.

Reactions: Him
With SFS, the store needs become irrelevant. Pick and pack. Day or night. I've seen a couple people work 24 hours.

I've done open to close at my old store, which was 8 AM - around 11:30 PM on several occasions (14 paid, 1 unpaid hour due to two lunch breaks). I do not recommend it. I'd say it'd be best to use vacation time to pad your pay if you need to call out for the weather, but working insane shifts is rarely worth it.

So a few problems with this viewpoints:

1 - Target wants to schedule for bodies to cover shifts throughout the week to maximize coverage
2 - If they're at a point that they are ok with your working an open to close, you will still be working those other shifts. You'll just be rolling in OT and substantial mental exhaustion.
3 - I have done open to closes, in fact I've done 3 back to back at once point. It is not worth it after the midway point of the second day. I promise you, those box knives will look really tempting to start throwing at team members and/or guests.

The STL once asked and offered for me to close, granted I came in at 9am. I stayed to help clean up but I would have been exhausted if I stayed longer. At my house, they’re pretty lenient during this time. Most likely, whoever is scheduling you, granted it’s dependent on your workcenter, they’re scheduling you in terms of coverage. For example if you’re hardlines, it’s possible one of the days you are schedule, other team members have limited availability so you’re needed that specific day.

The only time the marathon work days happen are on during snow storms when people can't get in and a couple people who were already working just stayed. Yeah they did a 18hr day but they took the next couple off, we also had an overnight process so there were actually people in the store so they could just keep working. And it was only cause we didn't have bodies in the building from weather..

We have had people do 4-10hr days but it was set up in advance as their availability.

my longest shift at spot was 12 hours (I did a double to help a co worker who had a family Christmas gathering) and at weggy's ive worked close to 14 hours one Christmas eve.

My store has meal breaks at the 6 hour mark, with a second one being required at 12 hours, so my longest shift has been 11 hours and 30 minutes to avoid hitting compliance.

There has to be at least 8 hours between shifts, and there's absolutely no way that your store is going to let you work an 18 hour shift. You'd have to have like three meal breaks and six rest periods, and honestly there's no way that any team member can deal with guests for 18 hours in a day.

What's your workcenter?

My state is a 5 hour state. Longest I've done was 11.5 (some people have done more). So technally it was 12.5. 11.5 paid and 1 unpaid due to 2 lunches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back