Archived Would they hire me if i don't have a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay my situation is that my vision is not that well enough to drive, So that leaves me with taking the bus or uber. Which leaves me limited to working the daylight hours so i don't travel at night which is less safe unless if i can arrange a ride with an employee. Would they still would consider me reliable even though i have to use other forms of transportation?

They won't not hire you because you don't have a car. But they might not hire you for not being available during evenings.

If you are hired, they will expect you to show up on time just like everyone else. TMs at my store who take the bus are given a little bit of leeway, but not much.

Okay my situation is that my vision is not that well enough to drive, So that leaves me with taking the bus or uber. Which leaves me limited to working the daylight hours so i don't travel at night which is less safe unless if i can arrange a ride with an employee. Would they still would consider me reliable even though i have to use other forms of transportation?

We have tons of Team Members who walk or get rides. As long as your transportation issues doesn't become problem then no one cares. You may be limited to certain work centers depending on your situation and whats available. This all depends on the store as well.

As long as you can work the hours you agreed to in the interview they don't care if you walk or take a dune buggy.

If your lack of a car causes you to not be able to close when they hired you because you can close. Then you might end up out of a job yes.

I've ridden my bike to work for the past four years now through rain and snow.

Mode of transportation is a moot point as it has no bearing on the job / your role as a TM at Spot. Whether you walk, drive, bus, train, light rail, monorail, run, bike, swim, ferry, hitchhike, hobble, whatever ... as long as you are there as scheduled - it's no one's business. If you are unable to close or open or work non-sunlit hours due to your method of transportation this should be discussed during the interview process. One's reliability is not dependant on mode of transport rather, it is based on whether or not you are tardy or absent. Daytime versus nighttime bus riding: it's all the same so your safety logic is flawed, in my opinion. However, if it is in fact due to a medical condition (you mentioned your eyesight) then you may have an ADA-based situation in which case you simply indicate during the interview process you can only work daylight hours due to an ADA protected status (no need to disclose details ... it's not needed). If they can still use you with that availability then Welcome to Spot! Otherwise, keep looking for another job.

Keep in mind the Winter daylight hours are very short and with that being the busy shopping season ... well ......

Last edited:
If your buses run like they do in my area, as long you can work between 6/7 an and 7 pm you'll be fine.

I don't drive, never have, and never have had a problem with getting hired.
Now I don't have your disability so I can ride a bicycle, even in the winter time, at night.
But I've used buses, cabs etc. whatever it takes.
If you can prove you will get to work when you are needed it doesn't matter.

To clarify I am blind in one eye s8nce birth and 20/50 in the good eye. So I'm very nearsighted. Glasses doesn't correct it much either. Im. Fine traveling at night if I have to provided I'm in well lit areas.

I'm a bus rider but they allowed me to work. It normally is a 15 min commute for me by car but by bus it's 45 min. The bus ride is part of the reason why I left spot a week ago.

To clarify I am blind in one eye s8nce birth and 20/50 in the good eye. So I'm very nearsighted. Glasses doesn't correct it much either. Im. Fine traveling at night if I have to provided I'm in well lit areas.
Again, it doesn't matter if you have 18 eyeballs or two heads with an extra ear coming off your shoulder ... it just does not matter. As long as you can make it into work as scheduled is all that counts. We have two blind ... er ... "sight impaired" TMs working at our store now. Does not matter how they get there. It's never been asked nor does it have to be. It simply has nothing to do with it. They arrive when scheduled and perform their job well. That's all that counts. In fact, relying too much on describing your situation could possibly prevent you from being hired as they could perceive you as a potential legal issue.

To be perfectly blunt, can you or can you not get to work and do the job as long as it is within the hours you desire? Yes? Good. Next topic, please. No? Thanks for playing. Next topic, please. That's basically it in a nutshell. You did advise the interviewer of your desired hours, yes?

How you get to work is nobody's business.

When you get to work is definitely the company's business.
Yup in-fact it's illegal you're not allowed to ask if they have a car unless it's going to be used to do your job. So they'll ask if you can make it to work everyday on time or something round-about like that.

Interesting. Back in the 80's, working for Micky Dees, we always asked if you had a vehicle.

No ride = no hire

They legally cannot ask you if you have a car and you don't have to offer the information. They can ask you if you can make it to work for your scheduled shifts.

The appropriate form of the question is "do you have reliable transportation"

Interesting. Back in the 80's, working for Micky Dees, we always asked if you had a vehicle.

No ride = no hire

Which is dumb we have people at my store who drive from a mile away and are always late and folks who take the bus from double digit mileage distances and are always 10 minutes early.

folks who take the bus from double digit mileage distances and are always 10 minutes early.
We're on three different bus routes despite being in an affluent area.
I'd say about 15% of our TMs ride the bus & I've given many a ride if they were leaving the same time I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back