Do think the TM should have been written up

• Yes, inappropriate behavior

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • No, being spoken to was enough

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting, hope it doesn't bite me in the "A". I'm soliciting some feedback.
My location seems to have a very slacked idea of couching or discipline as far as I'm concerned for example.
As a new GSA I have had the expected resentment and boundary testing that comes with someone being promoted. You always have that one person that feels they could do it better and want to try and do so. However, while on the floor during a heavy rush where every available TM was on a lane or helping someone. I had a cashier who SHOUTS (screaming) at me ordering me to get some more help up because they didn't want to have another guest get mad at them again.
Everyone heard and the shock on the guests faces and even the comments from other cashiers added to my humiliation. I held my composure turned and told the TM to wait a minute I was with a guest I will be there as soon as I was done. Even the guest became apologetic to causing me extra work which I assured him it's fine he's not a problem. My TL heard the TM and took the TM off and spoke to them, later the ETL GE did so as well. I was not included and after the TM returned the only response was to ask if they told me what they said, did they explain.
Apparently the only thing of interest was why and what caused this outburst. Which by the way was due to the TM continually telling the guest they were closed and getting mad at the TM whom I was going to have relive them refuse to do so. I had not told this yet to that TM because they arrived back while I was with the guest. And the TM was late on break because they didn't want to go when I had scheduled them. I informed them the time they wanted to go I already had someone going and they may have to be worked in.
Nevertheless I felt this was a write up at the least for speaking to another TM this way much less GSA. It was insubordination not to mention disrespectful to me and everyone around them. I do not scream at people and do not tolerate this from others even though guest can get rough I can handle it if it's bad enough AP can be involved that's the job and I have excepted this. But from your team member. Please submit feedback I would love to hear how others perception and would handle this type of situation.

Last edited:
I've been stuck on lanes for hours just from a back up and it is annoying that guests keep coming even though your light is off or whatever but yelling like that to the point the whole front end can hear is uncalled for. I get the frustration when it's crazy but yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If they talk to you just mention to them what you told us and hopefully they will understand it wasn't anything you did wrong.

No one was written up and my actions were explained to my leaders. Their response was yea this TM has tested my limits before. The response seems dismissive.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of a write up if it's an isolated incident, and it was otherwise resolved. I know you said they were basically yelling, but context matters, and while it personally upset you, you have to consider the situation from their side too.

OK, testing's done & it's time for your leadership to impose consequences.
To let it slide is merely letting that TM continue to disrespect peers.
Was this the TM that was late in taking their break?
If so, they contributed another element to the situation.

Yes the Team Member was the one who always wants to set the time of break. And has refused to take it when scheduled.

Those cashiers can be a pain. But they may have been stressed and snapped. It happens to the best of us. They were pulled off stage and spoken to, so it was likely a documented coaching. As a TM, you won't have access to another TM's disciplinary records...so if it was a documented coaching, you'll never know unless the GSTL tells you off the record or you find the coaching on a public computer.

Sounds like it was a documented coaching at the very least (as it should be). The TM probably downplayed it to you to piss you off and since you're not a TL, nobody is going to come right out and tell you exactly how that TM was disciplined.

Probably a coaching, not a CA though. A CA for behavior would require HR-BP approval. Unless it was "unsafe" behavior.

Like retail said, it's worth a coaching but probably not a CA unless it's a repeat offence.

And it sounds like that's what happened, considering he was talked to by both the ETL GE and the GSTL.

Most GSTLs are willing to rip into any TM that doesn't respect the authority they empart on their GSAs. Off stage coaching basically.

Most GSTLs are willing to rip into any TM that doesn't respect the authority they empart on their GSAs. Off stage coaching basically.

Unless you're my Sr. GSTL, who just kinda viewed us as "slightly more powerful Service Desk TMs"

Unless you're my Sr. GSTL, who just kinda viewed us as "slightly more powerful Service Desk TMs"
The only way I could see a GSTL or GE getting away with that mentality and having it work ok is at a high volume store with multiple GSTLs, like 1 per day practically. At a low A or B and below volume that kind of mentality will kill front end performance because they'll be plenty of time where the GSA is the only front end leader.

i don't agree with the target coaching procedure. people respond to stuff different. a coaching can get a productive team member to completely turn off and act like an ass towards everyone.

as a manager i want people to have a good working relationship with each other and fix any problems. that was a bad situation. now what's the issue? i don't care what op said cause they aren't a tl? they're a leader in the building and if you won't this will be documented. if you continue to disrespect them you will be termed. or if its an i'm sorry, i was frustrated and handled this wrong. is that worth writing it up? its not going to count against them in anything meaningful.

end result is the same. the gsa is seen as a leader and given respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back