Archived Wrongful Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been with Target for nearly 4 years and am a bit ashamed to say i dont still have my handbook to look back on these rules for myself. Recently a team member was hired and started Sept 25th, and during her first 90 days she had received a verbal talk about work performance that i assume she worked towards correcting due to the fact that she just received her 90 day review. Today her 94th day, she was terminated for performance by an ETL without ever signing any correctives. Based on the fact it was again performance, could she have legally been terminated without following the whole PDD/Corrective/Final/Termination path? or is the ETL in the wrong for not following policy for employees that pass their 90 days?

As far as my limited knownledge goes, I don't think she could be up and fired without a write up or any documents unless it was something drastic and serious.
As far as I know, you have to be coached and written up and all the steps in order to be fired for performance.

But then again we/you/whoever may not know the real story.
1) she could have been written up but never told you.
2)ETL's could have wanted her gone and when you're on the "get the eff outta here" list, you're doomed
3)she could have done something serious and failed to tell you.

I tell you, the one thing I've learned on this board is that figuring out if policy and procedure was followed correctly based on a five sentence post is pretty much like pissing into the wind.
There just isn't enough information, background or structure to not get wet.

Legally, yes, she could be fired beyond the 90 days. She doesn't have a contract. According to company policy, though, it's questionable. But--was it really her 94th day, or was she counting from the day she was offered but before she was officially hired? Was she terminated on the day in question, or was she terminated 4 (or 5, or 6) days earlier, but never informed because she wasn't working/couldn't be contacted for some reason? Etc. etc. As commiecorvus pointed out, there are just so many variables to this sort of thing, it would be damn near impossible for us to give you the correct answer from our limited knowledge of the situation.

I was told that the termination today was for not fixing the performance things that were trying to be coached during her 90 days, Sept 25th was her first day of orientation, agreed it is all hearsay to me, I'm just curious how you can get your approved for permanent hire at your 90 day review and then be fired for recurring performance issues 4 days later.

If the tm made no real improvement since the coaching, your etl decided to let them go. It is the season to start cutting hours/staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back