Archived Yahoo, my W2 is ready!!!,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been so excited to be able to file taxes as I am this year!!! :p

Got the email my paperless form is ready for me at 1:30 this morning!!

What's the best way to file your taxes? I have done it on turbo tax for the last few years. Is there anywhere else that's better and cheaper?

Well, my Credit Union has always given me access to TurboTax - so i've used that. This year the version they are "giving" you is the "free" one... Gee, thanks.

Meanwhile, the free one doesn't support entering alimony received.

Seriously????

Someone recommended Taxact to me, and my accountant friend said that is what they use. OK, i'm going to switch! (it is free for "complicated" returns)

I have to drive out to the court house to get the report on the exact amount of alimony paid. They don't give me access to a statement online or anything - i have to go pay to get that. Which i think is stupid. I did at least get her to say I had indeed gotten some (he is behind on child support - so they always credit that first) so i'm not making the drive for nothing.

I just went thru Taxact online, it let me add my alimony, AND self-employment income. Both of which I was going to have to pay for in TurboTax.

It also was a lot less with the extra fluff questions - TT seems to make you answer a lot of stuff "no". TA assumed it was "no" and you could move on.

Overall, it was great and I will be using it to file when I get the rest of my info tomorrow.

OH, and it could not auto fill in my W2 - it was able to take the PDF of my 2013 return with TT and "scan" it and fill in the stuff from that!

Oh great, it's that time of year again - when the government expects me to pay hundreds of dollars that I don't have. My other work hasn't received any forms or booklets yet, so of course we're getting multiple calls every day asking if we have them.

Well, my Credit Union has always given me access to TurboTax - so i've used that. This year the version they are "giving" you is the "free" one... Gee, thanks.

Meanwhile, the free one doesn't support entering alimony received.

Seriously????

The free version of TurboTax may only support 1040-EZ returns. I can't remember offhand if 1040-EZ includes alimony payments, or if you have to use 1040 or 1040A instead.

FYI, TurboTax now lets you file state taxes for free.

Is this applicable in every state?

FYI, TurboTax now lets you file state taxes for free.

Is this applicable in every state?
For the free federal filing, state is also free. For state efiling on other paid editions it actually costs more money to efile state taxes even though you've already paid for the online "deluxe" or whatever edition.

H&R Block's software has some good reviews, and it's $50 cheaper than the equivalent turbotax. I might use that if I ever have to file something more complicated than a 1040EZ. I think the best strategy is to free federal efile (since everyone offers that) and print your state return and mail it in (it usually costs $20 or more to efile state returns). The only exception to that is NY State, they have forced all the tax software companies to not charge extra for efiling in NY State. Guess they'd prefer less paperwork to deal with.

The only exception to that is NY State, they have forced all the tax software companies to not charge extra for efiling in NY State. Guess they'd prefer less paperwork to deal with.

That's surprising. Usually, NY does whatever it can to make everything a colossal pain in the ass for me.

Hey guys, this is my first time I receive my W2 forms since I started off in July of last year. Can any of you be kind enough to fill me in on basic questions?

How do I know how much I'll be getting back? Is it the three boxes that say Federal, Medicare, and Social Security withheld all totaled up?
Lastly, when do we actually receive the tax refund?

Hey guys, this is my first time I receive my W2 forms since I started off in July of last year. Can any of you be kind enough to fill me in on basic questions?

How do I know how much I'll be getting back? Is it the three boxes that say Federal, Medicare, and Social Security all totaled up?

You won't be getting back Medicare or SS.
Those are for your future possible use (well actually they are for the old folks now but that's a whole different thread).
You need to fill out the tax forms to find out how much money you will get back and it will depend on how many dependents you have etc.

Thank you so much! I couldn't look it up without getting confused with all this information. I realize there's a lot behind this topic so I really just wanted a honest answer. You're the best :)

How do I know how much I'll be getting back? Is it the three boxes that say Federal, Medicare, and Social Security withheld all totaled up?

If you file electronically and do direct deposit you get it much faster than paper file with physical check sent to you.

You know much you'll get back after you fill out your 1040 :)

I got mine too but it's gonna be a while before I can file. I held two jobs last year and I went to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back