Archived You can keep tips not

Status
Not open for further replies.
As AP if by chance I see someone take money from a guest and pocket it, I'm supposed to open up an internal investigation on it. Most of the time this applies to the check lanes, and more commonly, Starbucks. Since it could just be a tip or someone actually stealing money. Now me personally, if I see it wasn't theft, I act like it never happened. But there are some AP that are sticklers for rules, that can and will pursue it further.

If it happens in the parking lot, I definitely don't care.

As far as the LOD can't demand you hand over the money, that is true. Legally they can't. But Target would be well within their rights to discipline, including up to termination, for failing to follow policy by accepting the tip.

And you can take me home for $100!
tenor.gif

Just saw on workbench that you can't keep unsolicited tips from guests and the lod can't force you to turn it in
As a TM you are to officially refuse all tips. Just request for them to fill out the survey. If a guest is insistent to take a tip, you must report it to your TL or ETL.

$10 for jumpstarting a disabled lady's car.

Last edited:
What if I tell them to put it in my shirt pocket and let the guest slip it in my pocket, let the guest be like a Mafioso in the movies. I never handled the money it was thrust against me.

Secret handshake and chest bump with a 50 in the shirt pocket.

When someone asks where the stupid shit they want to buy is....

When I was a cashier and I often covered cart attendants. I would refuse tips but you always get that one person who will not leave until you take the tip. You keep going back and forth. At that point I was just like whatever I'm going to take it (usually was in the parking lot).

I think it should be that you can't ask for tips but if a guest gives you a tip you should be allowed to take it. However, I don't make the policies.

I think it should be that you can't ask for tips but if a guest gives you a tip you should be allowed to take it. However, I don't make the policies.

That literally is the newly updated policy, you just have to notify your leader/lod afterwards.

That literally is the newly updated policy, you just have to notify your leader/lod afterwards.
The policy is the LOD can’t force you to turn the money over. Because that would be illegal. Go ahead and notify the LOD that you received a tip though. You’ll most likely be written up for accepting the tip. You can still keep the money. But Target may decide to not keep you as an employee. It’s your choice.

The policy is the LOD can’t force you to turn the money over. Because that would be illegal. Go ahead and notify the LOD that you received a tip though. You’ll most likely be written up for accepting the tip. You can still keep the money. But Target may decide to not keep you as an employee. It’s your choice.
If you have a guest who insists on giving you a tip and will not take it back why should you be written up for it?

Actually I have the corrective action policy and there is only a termination for solicitation of a tip. Or not notifying the LOD.

You technically can't be fired for accepting a tip.

Actually I have the corrective action policy and there is only a termination for solicitation of a tip. Or not notifying the LOD.

You technically can't be fired for accepting a tip.
The not notifying part is what they would get most people on. But that is worst case scenario, like they really want you gone. I think I've only heard of one or two people ever termed for accepting tips, but failing to notify.

And to be clear. I don't care if people take tips. Lol

There are those guests that will bagger you to take a tip. But experience was..

1. Inform guest the service the opportunity is a pleasure
2. Inform guest that a guest survey is enough
3. Inform guest you don't accept tips
4. Inform guest its against policy to accept tips.
5. Gladly accept and report it

As AP if by chance I see someone take money from a guest and pocket it, I'm supposed to open up an internal investigation on it. Most of the time this applies to the check lanes, and more commonly, Starbucks. Since it could just be a tip or someone actually stealing money. Now me personally, if I see it wasn't theft, I act like it never happened. But there are some AP that are sticklers for rules, that can and will pursue it further.

If it happens in the parking lot, I definitely don't care.

As far as the LOD can't demand you hand over the money, that is true. Legally they can't. But Target would be well within their rights to discipline, including up to termination, for failing to follow policy by accepting the tip.

This is pretty much it, simply put do not take tips near any POS , and do not tell anyone pretty much sums it up, now let me go back to watching this guy try to wipe out my whitestrips. Your $5 tip is too little to worry about.

The not notifying part is what they would get most people on. But that is worst case scenario, like they really want you gone. I think I've only heard of one or two people ever termed for accepting tips, but failing to notify.

And to be clear. I don't care if people take tips. Lol

Yeah you're one of the good ones. My ETL ap sees all but he looks the other way for petty stuff like that lol

Anytime a guest outside offers a tip I just say we really can't accept tips. If they take it further after I mention that then oh well. I've never heard of anyone reporting to an lod about getting a tip.

One thing to just accept a tip, but another thing & no harm in saying you can't accept the tip but the guest still offering after that.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the reason tips need to be reported is so they can be taxed as income. Technically the LOD should submit that income to HR so it can be included on your paycheck as taxable income. If Target is caught not reporting tips as a company the fines from the government can be severe. It's all about covering the company's ass from a federal regulation standpoint.

Now if you report the tip to an LOD and they don't pass the information along to payroll, the hammer falls onto that LOD. It's not so much that Target doesn't want you to take a tip as much as it's the fact that tracking and reporting tips is a pain in the ass for a company of this size and the repercussions are heavy if the government doesn't get their cut.

You're right though it's like how you get taxed when you get those 5, 10, 15 , 20 year gift cards

The new policy seems to state that you can keep tips provided you do not solicit the tip, inform the guest you can not accept tips, and inform the LOD that a tip was left. This is only going to affect TMs in the Starbucks in our store. Guests leave tips there all the time, even after the baristas have told them they can not take them. Up until now, the money just went into the register or was used towards the next guests transaction.

I have been offered tips for helping guests with cell phones. I rejected but also told them about the survey.

Ain't nobody got time for that lol.

Exactly. That's why the policy is in place. On paper there is a process to handle cash income so the liability is with the team member and LOD instead of on the company. Gotta cover your ass as a company of the tax man starts asking questions but in reality the policy is next to impossible to enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back