Archived Your stores breakroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our breakroom used to be a sanctuary where you could relax and eat and whatever. We had a newspaper subscription, a bookshelf, videos, and a tv. All of that was taken away. They left us the couch and easy chair, but they are never cleaned and only the brave will sit there. The floors are never washed, tables are infrequently washed and the refrigerator door handle should not be touched without a hazmat suit. There is no hot water and usually no paper towels. The soda machine mocks us with whether it will or will not work any particular minute. The clock broke and has not been replaced. It's a good thing that Steritech doesn't look at our breakroom. I spend as little of my break in there as I possibly can.

Constant risk of being on fire due to slow cookers and crock pots being left plugged in for days and days after the food event(s).

Our breakroom used to be a sanctuary where you could relax and eat and whatever. We had a newspaper subscription, a bookshelf, videos, and a tv. All of that was taken away. They left us the couch and easy chair, but they are never cleaned and only the brave will sit there. The floors are never washed, tables are infrequently washed and the refrigerator door handle should not be touched without a hazmat suit. There is no hot water and usually no paper towels. The soda machine mocks us with whether it will or will not work any particular minute. The clock broke and has not been replaced. It's a good thing that Steritech doesn't look at our breakroom. I spend as little of my break in there as I possibly can.

Wow, that sounds terrible. I usually am the one that ends up changing the roll of paper towels and soap dispenser, but at least we have hot water! Your PMT should really do something about that.

Ours is fine until flow and overnight comes in. By morning time, it's a complete wreck that we have to deal with. Having worked alongside them in the early hours, I can safely say all but two are a bunch of disgusting idiots that really don't give a damn about anything.

They cancelled cable at our store and a tm went and bought a antenna after it was clear they weren't going to do anything about it.

I have to say that our team members are using our break room in an ingenious way.

Since very few of them have medical coverage, they have taken to leaving their half eaten lunches in the refrigerator for months in an attempt to grow some home made penicillin.

I mean why else would they do that?

They cancelled cable at our store and a tm went and bought a antenna after it was clear they weren't going to do anything about it.

Anything going on with your HR-ETL? It usually falls to them to pay the monthly bills. A few times when we were missing one/had a new ETL in the position they've forgotten things like that.

Ours is fine until flow and overnight comes in. By morning time, it's a complete wreck that we have to deal with. Having worked alongside them in the early hours, I can safely say all but two are a bunch of disgusting idiots that really don't give a damn about anything.

Flow isn't human.

That was more directed at the cashiers and friends who do no actual work but are quick to shit on the guys who come in at all random times in the morning to unload trucks

I understand that. Been there and done that at the store level too. 2 AM. 4 AM.

But cashiering can be pretty stressful, too. Having done that at different times in my life.

It's a different kind of stress. Could also be due to my social anxiety. :(:eek::)

Flow probably does twice a much work as you guys do.

Not really. I get it unloading the truck is hard but at my store which is overnight flow doesnt have to deal with a single guest, they can wear almost whatever they want and wear headphones while they work. Also forgot to mention they make a 1.50 more than almost everyone else because of the shift differential.

Them working hard is not an excuse to neglect cleaning after themselves.

Last edited:
Not really. I get it unloading the truck is hard but at my store which is overnighy flow doesnt have to deal with a single guest, they can wear almost whatever they want and wear headphones while they work. Also forgot to mention they make a 1.50 more than almost everyone else because of the shift differential.

Them working hard is not an excuse to neglect cleaning after themselves.

damn. Off topic, but being a 6am/7am store knocks out 90% of those benefits lol.

During 4th quarter backroom/a few other LOG tms come in at 6, the rest of flow comes in between 6:30-7- meaning none of us get shift differential. None of us can wear "almost anything we want" or listen to headphones, and Flow team basically acts as Sales Floor/backup cashiers while they push (for the rest of the year just adjust those times by + 1hr)

For an overnight store Flow might be a pretty cushy (although still physically demanding) job, but Flow teams that push while the store is open literally have the absolute worst of every possible world. Physically exhausting job + nonstop guests + backup cashiering + low pay.

When I was on Flow I was always so embarrassed to interact with guests. I'm not a people person, so depending on the day that would be a huge issue for me, but even on my best days I felt so gross. I was part of the line team, so I was super sweaty and gross.

But yea- I could bash Flow team all day long. And often do. I know my leaders are ready to staple my mouth shut because I complain so much, but Flow team makes my day-to-day life so much harder than it needs to be. Just throwing heaps of backstock on the nearest vehicle (totally unorganized/dangerously stacked), damaged stuff thrown in the mix with absolutely NO warning of broken glass/liquids/etc, never pushing thoroughly...ugh. I need to stop or I'll never shut up :rolleyes:

But on topic, our breakroom stays relatively clean...not sure how, because I've never seen anyone tend to it. I always go somewhere else just to avoid the crowd, but I can't really complain about the cleanliness too much.

When I was on Flow I was always so embarrassed to interact with guests. I'm not a people person, so depending on the day that would be a huge issue for me, but even on my best days I felt so gross. I was part of the line team, so I was super sweaty and gross.

Yeah I feel for flow at 6am. Thats just difficult. Its one thing to push a CAF, unloading a truck and pushing while guest are in the store sounds difficult.

Glad you are thriving in a new position.

Off topic I know, but my store's flow crew works from 5:30 AM to whenever the STL decides to let them go home. So far they are responsible for

1. Setting the line in the morning
2. Unloading the truck
3. Pushing the freight
4. Organizing backstock and keeping it nice and tidy for the backroom team to put away
5. Doing the morning autofills
6. Doing the priority pulls
7. Filling in any area the POG team may have got done setting or resetting
8. Helping out over in market when C&S is big, which is usually always
9. Helping out the backroom team when they have too much to put away, which is usually always
10. Doing all the cardboard and grabage at the baler / compactor
11. Helping guests as usual
12. Setting the ad on Sunday

The kick in the pants part is that they used to come in at 4 AM and get the shift differential, that was until corporate realized they could save money by having them coming in at 6 and wiping that out. Of course everyone still thinks they get that $1.50 extra and hate them for it, but they don't any longer. Thing is, they still keep coming clean off on their trucks. Sort of admirable in a way.

No matter how hard anyone works they should still clean up after themselves like human beings! It's like my parents both have construction jobs and they come home and trash the entire house and use "I WORKED" as an excuse. It really is not hard to put stuff in the garbage or wash a dish.

The kick in the pants part is that they used to come in at 4 AM and get the shift differential, that was until corporate realized they could save money by having them coming in at 6 and wiping that out. Of course everyone still thinks they get that $1.50 extra and hate them for it, but they don't any longer. Thing is, they still keep coming clean off on their trucks. Sort of admirable in a way.
Our store moved from 4am to 6am years ago and they gave everyone who was on the team a $1 raise to make up for the lost $1 shift diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back