Archived Your Weirdest Scam/Fraud Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a woman come through my register buying three 12-packs of Dr. Pepper, saying that she had a rain check on them and was able to get them 3 for $10 (sale price). She then presented me with a piece of paper from her pocket that had the info she just told me written on it, signed by a TL. The problem with this was that the name of the TL on the paper wasn't one I recognized, so I asked about it, and apparently the guy who signed the paper had stopped working at our Target more than a year ago. ???

I had a woman come through my register buying three 12-packs of Dr. Pepper, saying that she had a rain check on them and was able to get them 3 for $10 (sale price). She then presented me with a piece of paper from her pocket that had the info she just told me written on it, signed by a TL. The problem with this was that the name of the TL on the paper wasn't one I recognized, so I asked about it, and apparently the guy who signed the paper had stopped working at our Target more than a year ago. ???
Was the rain check dated? Did it look like maybe the date had been altered? Since the TL had worked there, I'm wondering if she lost it over a year ago and just recently found in and decided to see if she could still use it.

Was the rain check dated? Did it look like maybe the date had been altered? Since the TL had worked there, I'm wondering if she lost it over a year ago and just recently found in and decided to see if she could still use it.
It had no date on it, and the woman was happy to give me the paper, so it didn't seem like she was purposely trying to scam us/use a rain check that obviously wasn't good anymore/reuse an old rain check multiple times... pretty weird. We did actually end up giving her the lowered price, since it wasn't very much lower than the regular price, and she went through the trouble of keeping that piece of paper for more than a year :p

I could totally see myself getting such a raincheck, sticking it in my wallet. Totally forgetting about it. Finding it when cleaning out said wallet. Using it without even realizing just how long it had been, because time goes too fast these days, y'all.

Rainchecks are printed from the register and the system generally doesn't allow rainchecks on certain vendor items.
That is such a crock of bullshit they handed you.

I'd have laughed at them.

Had a guest come in the other day trying to get one of my TMs to return OTC meds with no receipt. I happened to be right next to them and heard my TM hesitate. Glanced over and realized the flipping box was empty. Looked the guest dead on and told him I would need the actual product to do a return. He insisted the meds didn't work even though he finished them all so he wanted a refund. I told him in that case he'd need to contact the manufacturer about that. He ended up leaving after arguing with me for a few minutes.

Another time had me face palming so hard, especially because it involved my new GSTL. GSTL walks up to me since I happened to be near the front because a guest's coupon isn't going through even though it matches the coupon. The coupon in question was so obviously fake, I had to stop myself from laughing out loud since the guest was near us. Different size font, pics all were different resolution, obviously printed on computer paper, and it had random Target logos and "Target Coupon" printed around it. Kept the coupon for evidence and sent my GSTL back to let the guest know that whoever gave her the coupon must have been mistaken because it wasn't real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back