Archived Your Weirdest Scam/Fraud Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The register prompts it. We've had it happen. I don't know what the threshold is to make it happen, but if does.

Same thing for missed coupons. Sometimes the register does cash. Sometimes a gift card.
I have never had the register prompt me to put the coupon amount on a GC

That happened to me once. I had a totally brain dead moment and forgot to hand over my coupons until after the transaction was finalized. I had $14 in coupons and I got a gift card for that amount.

it's not consistent but usually it happens with MFR (but not Target) coupons over $5
That happened to me once. I had a totally brain dead moment and forgot to hand over my coupons until after the transaction was finalized. I had $14 in coupons and I got a gift card for that amount.
this only happens when you do a MISSED coupon over $5.

Maybe this isn't a scam/fraud, but the last guest I had today while cashiering bought about $300 of mainly food and clothing and then wanted to use two gift cards to pay part of the balance. The first one was worth $5 and then when I explained that to the guest, she and her friend were shocked and explained to me that both gift cards should have been worth $10. I voided the payment, and checked the balance of the card and sure enough, it said $5. The guest thought out loud about how there could have been a miscommunication at a party where she got the gift card from, and then asked to speak to a manager. I scanned the second gift card, which was $10. I asked the nearest GSTL to come over and speak to the guests and sort things out. I overheard some of the guest's story about how they needed all of the items they were buying and the fact that they were using EBT/SNAP to pay for all of their food. The GSTL came over, voided the payment again, gave the guest a $5 Target coupon to make up for the difference in the actual $5 balance and the expected $10 balance, but explained to me that I did the right thing in calling him over because it was an issue with a gift card. I scanned both gift cards and then the guest paid with their EBT/SNAP and the rest on their credit card.

I didn't hear everything that the guest said to the GSTL, but I can't help but feel that they made up some kind of story to get $5 off the purchase.

I have only worked as a cashier so I probably haven't experienced what a GSA/GSTL or Guest Service member has experienced in fraud, but I thought that I would share what happened today.

Maybe this isn't a scam/fraud, but the last guest I had today while cashiering bought about $300 of mainly food and clothing and then wanted to use two gift cards to pay part of the balance. The first one was worth $5 and then when I explained that to the guest, she and her friend were shocked and explained to me that both gift cards should have been worth $10. I voided the payment, and checked the balance of the card and sure enough, it said $5. The guest thought out loud about how there could have been a miscommunication at a party where she got the gift card from, and then asked to speak to a manager. I scanned the second gift card, which was $10. I asked the nearest GSTL to come over and speak to the guests and sort things out. I overheard some of the guest's story about how they needed all of the items they were buying and the fact that they were using EBT/SNAP to pay for all of their food. The GSTL came over, voided the payment again, gave the guest a $5 Target coupon to make up for the difference in the actual $5 balance and the expected $10 balance, but explained to me that I did the right thing in calling him over because it was an issue with a gift card. I scanned both gift cards and then the guest paid with their EBT/SNAP and the rest on their credit card.

I didn't hear everything that the guest said to the GSTL, but I can't help but feel that they made up some kind of story to get $5 off the purchase.

I have only worked as a cashier so I probably haven't experienced what a GSA/GSTL or Guest Service member has experienced in fraud, but I thought that I would share what happened today.
you did the exact right thing. yes, almost positive it was a lie, but if the GSTL makes the exception, that's on them. always call over the gstl, you did the right thing.

another thing you can do is say "so the system says $5. the number on the back of the GC can tell you if it was comprimised and someone used it, call them for more info. I can only accept what the system tells me"

Former GSA here.
I don't think they would go to that much trouble for $5.
I've had folks try & tell me 'But it should've had $50 on it!'
I tell them to call the 800 number on the back to check the transactions; they usually decline & finish the trans but I make sure to give them the card to 'follow up' their investigation.

Had someone try and bring 2 sonicare toothbrushes back today, saying GS told them they had to return them to pharmacy because they are “HBA items & they bought them at the pharmacy counter.” They had no receipt and said GS told them we could “do a DL return,” which we can’t. Told them we would have to call the LOD over and they decided they would “just keep them,” then walked over and put them back on the shelf:rolleyes:

This woman came in at least three times that I remember and would present a gift card at check out. It was one of the plain ones that we issue as a reward, not a themed one that you give as a gift. Each time it was empty, nothing on it, and each time she pitched a fit about how it was supposed to be $100. She would pitch a fit and the GSTL and LOD would all have to tell her to call the number on the back of the card.
I don't know why she expected us to just give her $100 each time she came shopping! Apparently she tried this a few times a month until she got herself banned.

Yep. Best course of action is “believe the guest” and be like oh no I’m so sorry someone must have stolen the numbers or somethinf!!!!! Call the number on the back and they can fix it!

you did the exact right thing. yes, almost positive it was a lie, but if the GSTL makes the exception, that's on them. always call over the gstl, you did the right thing.

another thing you can do is say "so the system says $5. the number on the back of the GC can tell you if it was comprimised and someone used it, call them for more info. I can only accept what the system tells me"
Former GSA here.
I don't think they would go to that much trouble for $5.
I've had folks try & tell me 'But it should've had $50 on it!'
I tell them to call the 800 number on the back to check the transactions; they usually decline & finish the trans but I make sure to give them the card to 'follow up' their investigation.
Next time something like this comes up, I will suggest to the guest that they call the number on the back of the gift card. Gift card amounts should be cut and dry in terms of how much balance is left on the card, and that only what the system states is how much we can accept, which is why I find it unusual and suspicious when guests challenge the balance because they believe there should be more left on the gift card.

Next time something like this comes up, I will suggest to the guest that they call the number on the back of the gift card. Gift card amounts should be cut and dry in terms of how much balance is left on the card, and that only what the system states is how much we can accept, which is why I find it unusual and suspicious when guests challenge the balance because they believe there should be more left on the gift card.
They can also list transactions, amounts & dates on that card.

The guest thought out loud about how there could have been a miscommunication at a party where she got the gift card from, and then asked to speak to a manager.

That sounds, to me, like someone got a couple of promo gift cards from a friend, or some kind of door prize or something from a party, and the person who put the cards in was unaware of their actual value (as in, they kicked in a couple of promo gift cards they'd gotten, but didn't really pay attention to the amounts). Kind of ridiculous to ask to speak to a manager and the GSTL was super nice to do the coupon thing, as it really seems like much ado about a lousy $5, but whatever.

That sounds, to me, like someone got a couple of promo gift cards from a friend, or some kind of door prize or something from a party, and the person who put the cards in was unaware of their actual value (as in, they kicked in a couple of promo gift cards they'd gotten, but didn't really pay attention to the amounts). Kind of ridiculous to ask to speak to a manager and the GSTL was super nice to do the coupon thing, as it really seems like much ado about a lousy $5, but whatever.
“Much ado about $5” please I’ve had guests for a $6.99 item say EXCUSE ME THE SIGN SAID $6.79!!!

Reactions: Dog
I had a woman try to price match a $40 toy for like 15 cents cheaper on Amazon during this past Christmas season
This happens more often than I’d like, like if it’s less than a dollar why even bother

I can understand the $6.99>$6.79 thing, because a lot of people will just be like ‘hey it’s on sale, lemme grab one now’ but I don’t understand 15 cents on a random 60 dollar toy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back