Archived Your Weirdest Scam/Fraud Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had too many people ask us to scan their ExtraCare cards, although some do think we can pull over their CVS scripts easy peasy. I've been telling them that we can't do that until our CVS software goes live mid March, but we can call them and transfer their script by phone.
We haven't had a TON of them, but one lady got downright belligerent. After being called "stupid" for the third or fourth time, I finally scanned her barcode and showed her the POS wouldn't accept it. When she asked "why the hell not?" I asked if she saw any CVS sale signs on the products she had purchased? When she said she hadn't, I responded with, "That's because you're at TARGET, NOT CVS" ;)

This wasn't me, but a guest at my store brought dozens of boost mobile cards to a cashier. Obviously part of a scam, but the GSTL told her to process it anyway. There must have been 100 cards. The guest claimed it was for a giveaway or something. Yeah right.

I had two different people return unopened expensive facial products with what I'm fairly certain were fake receipts. Still bugs the crap outta me.

I had two different people return unopened expensive facial products with what I'm fairly certain were fake receipts. Still bugs the crap outta me.
How were they refunded?
Cash? Debit? Giftcard? That's the key.

How were they refunded?
Cash? Debit? Giftcard? That's the key.
Cash.

Have you seen fake receipts before? Any tell-tale signs?
Both people were returning these items that had been bought the same day at Targets 40 minutes away (or so the receipt said). When I scanned the products, it called for a GSTL override, which they gave.

Weird Target Scams
-I worked in a Michigan store where they have a "bounty" for items that items that aren't priced correctly. Basically, if an expired sale sign was still up, and a guest complained about the price difference, they would get the price difference PLUS a $5.00 state required 'bounty' fee. We had a team of guests would travel to the Detroit-area stores and would actively seek out items that were mis-marked, take a photo of the sign, purchase 5 of the same item (the limit for the bounty), then get the price difference back (plus the $5), then return the items. Nothing we could do... When AP became wise to them, they would have the LOD follow them around and take down the sale signs before they got to checkout.

-We a had a woman would purchase clothing items, then return it on 89th day. Not only did she keep the receipts and tag, but she would reattach the labels (albeit, in the wrong place) with her own swift-tack gun. Couple times we saw that some of the tags had dates on them (the date purchased, and the date the receipt expired). We weren't *allowed* to deny her refunds by order of our STL, but she became a regular at the service desk and we tried to make her uncomfortable (wow! didn't we just see you Monday? You never seem to find anything that you like, do you need helping finding a nice outfit?). When she became wise to us, she would send in her husband to do the returns.

Weird Scams at Other Stores I've Worked At
-Working at stores with Western Union services was never a dull moment... From the classic scam telephone calls "Hello, I'm from Western Union technical support, can you run a test transaction for us?" And yes, people fell for those even with training, constant reminders on the WU transaction portal not to do test transactions, and signs at the computer! One woman I had to terminate fell for it twice... Caused us $5,000 in shortages.
-Another Western Union scam... One person convinced a service desk person to process the WU transaction first, then ring it up on the POS... Guess what? Person's debit card was declined... Employee went to cancel the transaction, money was already picked up. Another $3,000 loss.
-The creepy dude who lived in the motel across the street... Would send about $500 weekly to his "girlfriend" in Thailand, and another $250 to a 'friend' in Gahana.
-When I worked at Meijer, a couple convinced an older gentleman in the parking to return some items on their behalf. The couple had tried returning the items (an expensive hair dryer, waterpik, and a razor) without a receipt at another store, but was denied. LP allowed the transaction to go through (not aware the guy was a pawn) and stopped him for refund fraud. Police called. The woman from the couple asked where her "grandfather" was, and was taken back to LP office. The guy came up several minutes and asked where his wife and father were... He was taken back to LP office... In the end, the old guy was let go and the couple arrested... Morales of the story? Don't shoplift. And if you are going to lie, get your story straight!
-Another Meijer story... Meijer POS allows you to add comments to a person's refund history if they attempt a return without a receipt. It ties the information to the driver's license information, and shows ALL non-receipted returns, along with the time, date, items returned, if they've been flagged by LP, if anymore returns are allowed, and comments from the team member/manager. Guy came in and exchanged Apple Headphones and an iPhone charger. Had previous history, but manager allowed ONE more transaction as long as it was exchange.... We marked it as such in the system. Comes in a few weeks later, exchanges them again... Guy's record was flagged and instructions were left on his profile to deny future transactions... Comes in the next day to RETURN the items. Return denied. Guy tries to claim we're discriminatory because he had difficulty walking... "Sorry sir, you were advised yesterday that future non-receipt refunds and exchanges would be denied." Guy states he is a police office and will arrest us for fraud, "Again sir, I'm sorry... Meijer policy requires receipt.... have a great day...". Starts yelling, getting mad... Now states his is a LAWYER and will sue us for not standing by our product. "I'm sorry sir, but if you can try to call Apple for an exchange if the product was defective." Ended up needing to call the police to get him out of the store. According to the police officer who trespassed him, guy is a regular scammer and 'slip-and-fall' fraudster. Routinely claims he is lawyer/police officer to get what he wanted.

Cash.

Have you seen fake receipts before? Any tell-tale signs?
Both people were returning these items that had been bought the same day at Targets 40 minutes away (or so the receipt said). When I scanned the products, it called for a GSTL override, which they gave.

Fake receipts will make you type in an "Approval Code" multiple times during the transaction. You will likely have to type all the information in manually as well. When you finally hit "total" you will notice that only half of the options that normally display, show, causing you to have to give over cash.

Visually speaking, you might notice different kinds of fonts on the receipt than usual. You will also notice that the receipt is printed with ink. Our receipts are done via heat transfer on the paper. There is no ink. If it is ink, that's a good indicator the guest did that. You might also notice that they type in the wrong information. I have a guest who does this regularly, and he typed in the wrong tax rate for a neighboring city.

Basically, what I think they do, is take receipts from same day purchases, and either manipulate the items listed, or they recycle the Receipt ID and VCDs. Same day transactions from other stores always make you type things in manually because the transaction is so new. Despite that, if the items being returned aren't actually attached to the Receipt ID, that's what prompts the computer to ask for an Approval Code.

When I run into a fake reciept, and it's from the same day, I just pretend my register doesn't read the receipt as valid and tell them to go to the original store. Which isn't a total lie, because it asking for approval codes basically means it's not a valid reciept. If the guest persists, I offer to use their ID, but tell them they won't get the full price. If the receipt doesn't work, they usually leave, because they want cash, not gift cards.

While I was stocking the electronics department, the TM who was supposed to be at the boat was off zoning the next department over. While this is going on, I watch a guest pull all of a product from one location, and relocate it to an empty spot that has a lower price. He then takes one of the item off the shelf and hits the call button in electronics so he can be rung up. The TM comes over, and he rings the guy up. He then starts arguing that he wants it for the lower price.

TM: This isn't $10. It's $100. I can't give it to you for $10
Guest: There's more of them right there! You or one of your employees stocked this there, and I want it for the price on the shelf.
*I walk up*
Me: I watched you move those from their original location to the one you're pointing at.
Guest: I want to talk to your manager!
TM: I'll do you one better. *gets walkie out* AP to electronics please.
*Guest quickly leaves*

When I worked at Meijer, a couple convinced an older gentleman in the parking to return some items on their behalf. The couple had tried returning the items (an expensive hair dryer, waterpik, and a razor) without a receipt at another store, but was denied. LP allowed the transaction to go through (not aware the guy was a pawn) and stopped him for refund fraud. Police called. The woman from the couple asked where her "grandfather" was, and was taken back to LP office. The guy came up several minutes and asked where his wife and father were... He was taken back to LP office... In the end, the old guy was let go and the couple arrested... Morales of the story? Don't shoplift. And if you are going to lie, get your story straight!

I'm glad they let the older man go. I had an older relative who was very trusting and before he went to live with another relative full-time I was worried about him getting scammed in some way. I can definitely understand how older people can get confused and just go along with something so I can glad they didn't try to arrest him as well.

I'm glad they let the older man go. I had an older relative who was very trusting and before he went to live with another relative full-time I was worried about him getting scammed in some way. I can definitely understand how older people can get confused and just go along with something so I can glad they didn't try to arrest him as well.

I had one elderly gentleman who was instructed by his drug addicted grandson to return stolen items with his ID. I did not do the return even before I knew what was going on because they were all cosmetics items which we require the receipt or card for.

My tm had a guest who refused to give them, their card to confirm the 4 digit code on the card. They had offered an id & the tm said the card, please. The guest refused. The tm said I need the card in my hand to complete transaction, please. The guest refused again. The tm said again, I need the card in my hand to complete the transaction. They gave me the card finally & did not go through. They leaves empty handed:) my favorite tm wins.

Last edited:
My tm had a guest who refused to give them, their card to confirm the 4 digit code on the card. They had offered an id & the tm said the card, please. The guest refused. The tm said I need the card in my hand to complete transaction, please. The guest refused again. The tm said again, I need the card in my hand to complete the transaction. They gave me the card finally & did not go through. They leaves empty handed:) my favorite tm wins.
I had tht happen one day. I finally let the guest hold it while I looked at the numbers. Transaction denied

I had a guest the other day buy some shavers and Oral B products, and then immediately come up to guest service to return the items. She didn't have a lot of items. She had 4 items. However, she used high dollar manufacture items. So, instead of returning the items, I simply "Post Voided" the transaction and gave her back what she actually spent. Ha! I've dealt with this lady before. The first time I helped her, she supposedly didn't speak any english. Today, she seemed to speak it just fine. Idiot.

It's weird to have this thought though..."Boy this lady knows nothing about coupon fraud! She should have done this and this, and she could get away with it!" Lmao.

I had a guest the other day buy some shavers and Oral B products, and then immediately come up to guest service to return the items. She didn't have a lot of items. She had 4 items. However, she used high dollar manufacture items. So, instead of returning the items, I simply "Post Voided" the transaction and gave her back what she actually spent. Ha! I've dealt with this lady before. The first time I helped her, she supposedly didn't speak any english. Today, she seemed to speak it just fine. Idiot.

It's weird to have this thought though..."Boy this lady knows nothing about coupon fraud! She should have done this and this, and she could get away with it!" Lmao.
Did she ask for her coupons back? Great idea on the post void! Had a guest trying to do coupon fraud with our brand new, 16 year old cashier. I saw her stack of coupons and came running to the lane. The poor new cashier was so confused. I told her to void the whole transaction, took the guest and her coupons to the GS desk and restarted the transaction. Her total was $500 before the coupons, she had lots of high value coupons that were not for the products she was buying but the registers took them anyways. I looked her dead in the eye, pointed out every coupon she could not use and said you can not use this coupon, it's for the wrong product etc. She suddenly didn't want most of the items anymore, just got a few items like shampoos with some coupons that had gift card offers attached. After she was done, she asked for a gift receipt. I gave it to her and smiled and said just to let you know, we do not accept returns on health and beauty items with a gift receipt. Her face was priceless.
The coupons she was trying to use totaled up to about $400, some of them must have been fakes as well. She has not returned to make more purchases or return her health and beauty stuff at our store. I made AP aware of her.

Got a call for a guest in the portable audio/ headphones aisle with a backpack. I saw him on the camera and immediately went to guest service him. I walked past him before I said anything and just stood in amazement as he tried to break the hard plastic do-it while I was 4 feet behind him. Being new to the job and all I just asked if he needed help. Needless to say he never bought the 180$ headphones and left giving me my first PMR out of training.

Did she ask for her coupons back? Great idea on the post void! Had a guest trying to do coupon fraud with our brand new, 16 year old cashier. I saw her stack of coupons and came running to the lane. The poor new cashier was so confused. I told her to void the whole transaction, took the guest and her coupons to the GS desk and restarted the transaction. Her total was $500 before the coupons, she had lots of high value coupons that were not for the products she was buying but the registers took them anyways. I looked her dead in the eye, pointed out every coupon she could not use and said you can not use this coupon, it's for the wrong product etc. She suddenly didn't want most of the items anymore, just got a few items like shampoos with some coupons that had gift card offers attached. After she was done, she asked for a gift receipt. I gave it to her and smiled and said just to let you know, we do not accept returns on health and beauty items with a gift receipt. Her face was priceless.
The coupons she was trying to use totaled up to about $400, some of them must have been fakes as well. She has not returned to make more purchases or return her health and beauty stuff at our store. I made AP aware of her.
I noticed a coupon-er that I saw a week earlier in the store. I told the GSTL when she was at a register and she went and checked all the coupons having to deny about 75$ worth of coupons.

Same here. Both with the pillow cases, and with the sticking to your guns. "Someone bought you $200 worth of watch batteries as a gift" "Oh yeah totally."

GSA and GSTL told me I couldn't. We had no TSP, no ETL-GE, and ETL-AP wasn't always present. We were told to just take it and reprint the return reciept with a description.
My ETL-AP would have flipped her you know what had GS allowed such a return. We dont like allowing anything over 25$ from top 10 theft areas.

We have a GSTL who eats coupon scammers for lunch.
I was off one day & was in line to check out when I saw the lady ahead of me start pulling out a wad (new cashier, of course).
I caught the GSTL's eye, gave a side nod & she was all over the scammer like a splash.
After she left, GSTL turned it into a teaching moment to the cashier & thanked me for giving her a heads up.

We have a GSTL who eats coupon scammers for lunch.
I was off one day & was in line to check out when I saw the lady ahead of me start pulling out a wad (new cashier, of course).
I caught the GSTL's eye, gave a side nod & she was all over the scammer like a splash.
After she left, GSTL turned it into a teaching moment to the cashier & thanked me for giving her a heads up.
Too bad the cashier wasn't properly trained ahead of time to manage "these guests".

They tell newbies about couponers vs scammers & what to do but, when they finally get their first one in line, the newbs go all 'deer in the headlights'.
If they're next to an experienced cashier tho, they'll put on their blinker & flag down the GSA/GSTL.

My ETL-AP would have flipped her you know what had GS allowed such a return. We dont like allowing anything over 25$ from top 10 theft areas.
I wish we were permitted to deny those fuckers. :(
Our STL would have our heads on a platter if we tried implementing that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back