Archived You've just been promoted to Team Lead. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say a person has just gotten a promotion to Team Lead.

What tips/tricks/warnings/advice would you give this person? Anything that comes to mind would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Partner with another tl or etl for starters. Then work on your learning plan. Get all certs done. Depending on the area, know your team! Grab a radio & PDA.
Start doing business walks, help guests, do salesplanners/pogs, ptm/mpg's, push clearance or truck, reshop, pog fills, exfs, cafs, FIFO checks, fixing zones, doing pc report, urgent news signing jobs, leadership status, ck your email, do gstl break coverage, tlod, backup register for frontend, pharmacy, operator or electronics, do backstocking or pulling autopulls, instocks, ad signing, & special tasks for lod or stl. Help other tm/tl with their stuff.
Now, take a break.

Partner with another tl or etl for starters. Then work on your learning plan. Get all certs done. Depending on the area, know your team! Grab a radio & PDA.
Start doing business walks, help guests, do salesplanners/pogs, ptm/mpg's, push clearance or truck, reshop, pog fills, exfs, cafs, FIFO checks, fixing zones, doing pc report, urgent news signing jobs, leadership status, ck your email, do gstl break coverage, tlod, backup register for frontend, pharmacy, operator or electronics, do backstocking or pulling autopulls, instocks, ad signing, & special tasks for lod or stl. Help other tm/tl with their stuff.
Now, take a break.

My job less pc report, leadership status, email (don't have access), gstl breaks (cashiers do that, etl for overrides), and tlod!!:(

Remember that s*** rolls downhill and the folks at the bottom WILL throw it back.

Document everything. When self-review rolls back around you will be glad you did.

Always follow up. If a TM has an issue or concern always touch base with them so they know you are working on it. If you don't follow up it will look like you are just another TL who doesn't care, even if you addressed the issue.

Accountability. If you mess up, fess up. There is nothing worse than someone who makes excuses instead of saying I made the wrong decision and this is what I learned from it.

Remember that s*** rolls downhill and the folks at the bottom WILL throw it back.

Document everything. When self-review rolls back around you will be glad you did.

Always follow up. If a TM has an issue or concern always touch base with them so they know you are working on it. If you don't follow up it will look like you are just another TL who doesn't care, even if you addressed the issue.

Accountability. If you mess up, fess up. There is nothing worse than someone who makes excuses instead of saying I made the wrong decision and this is what I learned from it.

Very good advice, couldn't have said it better.
Gaining team loyalty is a tricky thing but here are a few suggestions.

Lead by example. Work harder then you would expect them to, get to work before them and leave after them.

If you have to go to the office to work on something rather then be on the floor or be in one of the interminably long TL meetings make sure they know what they are supposed to be doing while you are gone or who they should talk to if they have any questions. Keep those times as short as you can.

Eat lunch with with your TM more then you do the TLs.

Spring for doughnuts or whatever, our TL for Plano bakes brownies.

Never ask somebody to do a job you wouldn't do yourself.

You have to shovel way to much drek on these peoples heads that comes from above. Deflect what you can and make it clear that while you understand it's drek you're going to make sure it gets done with the rest.

Last edited:
"You've just been promoted to Team Lead. Now what?"

Run, screaming for your life out of the store...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back