Archived Yuck! Minnesota woman finds black widow spider in Target grapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with the rest of y'all here. If I am paying money for something, I expect it to be cleaned, washed and inspected for insects/mice/what have you. If I wanted to find spiders in my food, to get the "natural" experience, I would have picked the grapes myself from nature.

The stuff does get cleaned, washed, and inspected to a reasonable amount. No process is going to catch everything unless you are willing to pay a LOT more for it and even then, it won't prevent an occasional bug from wandering in during the packaging process. Crap like this being published just means "We have nothing informative to tell you so here's some clickbait level bullshit"

^This.
Black widows have a single red hourglass on the underside of their abdomen.
Only the females. It it can sometimes be dots, but it looks like a juvenile make red back, which is from the black widow family, and dangerous.

I wouldn't expect all my groceries replaced, but I would still let the store know, and be refunded for what I purchased. A healthy adult could survive a bite, but a small child could be killed.

Of course nothing could have eliminated this from happening, but going above and beyond is how you make customers loyal.

"Target is being very helpful and said they would refund me for all the produce in my fridge that I had just bought," she said. "I use the Red Card, so they were able to confirm which store, and confirm the produce I had just bought to replace it. So Target is awesome!"

I like how this news story turns into a stealth REDcard advertisement for a couple sentences there

As someone who is terrified of spiders, and puts faith in these suppliers to ensure things like this don't happen to me, I too would be alerting the media. In addition to being refunded for all the produce in my fridge, I'd also expect a $100 GiftCard to soothe the "emotional damages."

Oh my god you sound just like one of the unbearable guests we all get from time to time. I don't see how or why exactly Target should refund all the produce in the fridge or even $100 GiftCard. Christ.

Sorry, I was half-joking but wasn't good at it. Of course I know things happen and the comment about the $100 GiftCard was more of a statement about our litigious society, 'cause you know if this had been someone else they would have threatened to shut the place down or something.

Only the females. It it can sometimes be dots, but it looks like a juvenile make red back, which is from the black widow family, and dangerous.

I wouldn't expect all my groceries replaced, but I would still let the store know, and be refunded for what I purchased. A healthy adult could survive a bite, but a small child could be killed.

Of course nothing could have eliminated this from happening, but going above and beyond is how you make customers loyal.

There is variety in markings. Ditto about kiddos or ill or elderly. I'm exposed to these and other venomous nasties regularly at my other job. Have been bitten by bl widow. Unpleasant. Brown recluse much worse.

At least it wasn't a roach. I'd die if it was a roach I hate those mother truckers. I'm surprised we haven't had a guest death when it comes to market. I've found food that expired in 2013...2013!!!!

Generally, you can eat most things expired (not meat) and be fine if it's cooked. Also, bugs in produce happen. There's no bug police. The package even says inspect and wash your produce.

My store is infested with black widows , the females are the only ones that bite. So if I see the males I let them live. But the females get smashed

At least it wasn't a roach. I'd die if it was a roach I hate those mother truckers. I'm surprised we haven't had a guest death when it comes to market. I've found food that expired in 2013...2013!!!!

Better than finding it in 2015, like I have done several times this year.

You'd think that between Steritech, local health inspections, and all the pest control measures employed by the stores, this wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is.

Nah. They come in off the truck on the product and stay on the product. If the pest control measures get close enough to the food to kill the insects, then we have bigger problems. And Steritech and the health department aren't looking for stowaway bugs. Even if they were, they'd have to be there looking at the right produce at the right time. And even this guy wasn't noticed until the guest really dug into them.

Nah. They come in off the truck on the product and stay on the product. If the pest control measures get close enough to the food to kill the insects, then we have bigger problems. And Steritech and the health department aren't looking for stowaway bugs. Even if they were, they'd have to be there looking at the right produce at the right time. And even this guy wasn't noticed until the guest really dug into them.
Thanks and good point.

Sometimes there are conditions conducive to excessive insects. Aw hell be careful protect as best you can. If we can get em to read the manual
Bugs I mean. Dear spider
No. Outside. Derpworyhy. Made my spell checker cry

I have heard of way worse... I am just waiting around to stumble upon a Brazilian wandering Spider in my banana order, somehow I think walking around with a 4 hour boner, and then dieing, is not Target-Brand.

I used to cut produce. You know when you go to the grocery store, and they have all those cups of pre-cut fruit? Yeah, that was all me. I could cut through a pallet of watermelon in 30 minutes! I'm the designated fruit cutter any time I go to a barbecue and there's a watermelon in need of cubing.

Fruit_Ninja_Real_Life.jpg

ANYWAY! We used to find all sorts of bugs and critters in the fruits. Grapes are notorious for spiders. The cold temperatures from the refrigeration makes them sleepy, so you'll find them wrapped up in a cocoon of webs they made for themselves, nestled in the grapes. I'd also find crushed lizards or small snakes at the bottom of the watermelon pallets. I'd find lady bugs in the strawberries. And then of course, caterpillars in the leafy greens. Seems like nothing more than a sign of freshness to me. Also...there you go, vegans. Look at all the animals that die just so you can eat watermelon!

I have heard of way worse... I am just waiting around to stumble upon a Brazilian wandering Spider in my banana order, somehow I think walking around with a 4 hour boner, and then dieing, is not Target-Brand.

"To avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours."

The channels I watch show way too many commercials for the blue pill. Clearly I need to get out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back