FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected
Minnesota woman finds black widow spider in Target grapes
Posted: Jun 03, 2015 2:43 PM CDTUpdated: Jun 03, 2015 3:09 PM CDT
by Rachel Chazin
CONNECT

Photo from Kelly Steinke's Facebook
ALBERTVILLE, Minn. (KMSP) -
On Monday night, Kelly Steinke of Albertville found a juvenile black widow spider in her bag of grapes from Target, even after washing them with vinegar and baking soda. The grapes were purchased this past weekend in Monticello.

“I called Target to let them know so they can alert their grape supplier,” she posted on her Facebook page.

There has been recent attention brought to spiders being found in bags of grapes. Last week, a woman from Michigan was hospitalized after she reached in for a grape and was bitten by an adult black widow.

"Target is being very helpful and said they would refund me for all the produce in my fridge that I had just bought," she said. "I use the Red Card, so they were able to confirm which store, and confirm the produce I had just bought to replace it. So Target is awesome! Just need to watch your produce that is from Mexico and Organic, mainly grapes and bananas seem to attract Black Widows."

Black widows are found throughout the U.S. mostly in the South and West. They are usually in barns, sheds, stone walls, fences, woodpiles, porch furniture, and other outdoor structures.

Symptoms of a black widow bite may include nausea, profuse perspiration, tremors, labored breathing, restlessness, increased blood pressure and fever.

I hate people like that. A random bug managed to get trapped in the packaging of fresh food? OH NOES! BETTER ALERT THE MEDIA. HOW COULD SUCH A TRAVESTY EVER HAPPEN!?

As someone who is terrified of spiders, and puts faith in these suppliers to ensure things like this don't happen to me, I too would be alerting the media. In addition to being refunded for all the produce in my fridge, I'd also expect a $100 GiftCard to soothe the "emotional damages."

As someone who is terrified of spiders, and puts faith in these suppliers to ensure things like this don't happen to me, I too would be alerting the media. In addition to being refunded for all the produce in my fridge, I'd also expect a $100 GiftCard to soothe the "emotional damages."

Lol holy!

That's not a black widow, for one.
Secondly, everyone is shocked that a product from nature has something ELSE from nature in it? It happens with fresh produce, you should see the stuff that they do manage to pull out before it gets to the end consumer. Half of those grapes probably had sh*t on them or touched the ground along the way
That spider would probably be far more beneficial for a human than half of the processed crap we all eat every day.

That's not a black widow, for one.
Secondly, everyone is shocked that a product from nature has something ELSE from nature in it? It happens with fresh produce, you should see the stuff that they do manage to pull out before it gets to the end consumer. Half of those grapes probably had sh*t on them or touched the ground along the way
That spider would probably be far more beneficial for a human than half of the processed crap we all eat every day.

I eat very little processed food.

What kind of spider is that?

>> everyone is shocked that a product from nature has something ELSE from nature in it? It happens with fresh produce, you should see the stuff that they do manage to pull out before it gets to the end consumer. Half of those grapes probably had sh*t on them or touched the ground along the way
That spider would probably be far more beneficial for a human than half of the processed crap we all eat every day.<<

^^ This. It's just a freaking spider. I'm not wild about spiders, either, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find one in produce and I certainly wouldn't expect compensation for food I'd bought. When I was a kid and we'd shuck corn, we knew to watch out for worms and other creatures. It was simply part of the process and nothing to worry about.

Let me expound on the above by saying if it was a black widow or, egads, a brown recluse I'd be concerned, especially if I was bitten. I still wouldn't get hysterical because...well, it's nature.

I have to disagree with the rest of y'all here. If I am paying money for something, I expect it to be cleaned, washed and inspected for insects/mice/what have you. If I wanted to find spiders in my food, to get the "natural" experience, I would have picked the grapes myself from nature.

If you love peanut butter keep scrolling past this post, I don't want to ruin it for you.

Peanut butter, by federal safety standards, may have up to 210 or more insect fragments per 700 grams, an average-size jar of peanut butter. Also the same average jar of peanut butter may also contain up to seven whole rodent hairs before it’s considered unsanitary.

I have to disagree with the rest of y'all here. If I am paying money for something, I expect it to be cleaned, washed and inspected for insects/mice/what have you. If I wanted to find spiders in my food, to get the "natural" experience, I would have picked the grapes myself from nature.
You'd better move. The USDA protects the right to sell bug posts in produce, among other things.
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=29133

If you love peanut butter keep scrolling past this post, I don't want to ruin it for you.

Peanut butter, by federal safety standards, may have up to 210 or more insect fragments per 700 grams, an average-size jar of peanut butter. Also the same average jar of peanut butter may also contain up to seven whole rodent hairs before it’s considered unsanitary.

All our food has traces of poo, urine, chemicals and bugs. You just can't prevent it so it's allowed. That is why you must cook food thoroughly or wash everything well, such as produce.

Honestly were fucked no matter what. Did you know grilling your food on a coal grill actually infuses carcinogens into your food?

Food cooked at extreme heat has been known to have carcinogens and AGES.

Shits crazy Mayne.

I just made vanilla cupcakes and buttercream frosting from scratch. That's the closest I get to processed foods lol.

Pregnancy Cravings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back