Archived Zoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at a newly built target store for about a month and I'm hardlines, setting up everything. We open to the public on the 13th.

Cutting to the chase, my zoning speed sucks, at least to my ETL. My team lead seems to give me crap about the details and my speed. I like to work on my own pace, but when I work faster, I mess up. What are some ways to help my speed? They want perfection...

don't worry, you'll get faster the longer you work at it. it was the same for me.
especially if you're in the same area most of the time, you kinda just get used to zoning the same way every time.
i used to struggle closing HBA (in 4 hrs) and keeping up with go-backs, now it's a breeze.
best of luck to you :)

Man was this a pain in my butt when I first started. I had my fair share of experiences where my TL's would constantly nag me about taking too long to zone. Honestly here's the best advice I can give you.

Don't think perfect, do not try to make each aisle perfect. I use to go very slow and try to make each aisle I did look perfect, and yeah it's nice, but it doesn't last long and you can't get everything done.

When you're in an aisle, divide the aisle into 4 by 6's. Start from the top of that, make your way to the bottom shelf of that. Then just keep doing that until you reach the end. Don't try to go across and walk back and forth, because that will just eat your time. Then, mentally time yourself. If you feel like you've been in an aisle for a long time, then you probably have.

Move each item to the front, covering the diamonds. Pace yourself, just keep going. If you pace yourself, then you will have more time to hit areas that are trickier and harder to look nice (shudders at the toothpaste aisle). I try to get all the aisles done, then do the back wall last. Also, a trick I use is say you're doing C and D. I always start from the back with the storage tubs, and move to the front which is towels. Always do harder areas last because towels, makeup will get shopped very quickly and you will virtually be wasting your time because it will look like it did before you zoned.

Just keep a pace, don't try to make it perfect, just think speed and if you look at the end of the aisle and nothing sticks out (empty spots, items on the floor), then you're good and move on to the next aisle.

If you grab re-shop before you start the zone. Put them back where they go as you make your way to that aisle. It cuts down on the re-shop and you're not wasting time going from makeup to laundry detergent.

I hope this helps and do not worry. You will find your niche in zoning after some experience. It took me a while to get good at speed and not being perfect, it's a habit for me which makes it harder to not do it. Just give yourself little challenges like "I'm going to get these three aisles done in 15-20 minutes".

You really will get faster as time goes on. Everyone develops their own method, and every store is a little different. I've covered at a handful of stores and I can say that I've had to alter how I do my zone based on the little differences in the stores... but you eventually figure it out.

Things I didn't change from store to store:

End caps are always your number one priority. Even if the entire aisle has to look like complete shit, make the end cap look beautiful. It only takes a second, and makes a world of difference to the guests and to the ETLs. Pull from the home location to make the end caps fairly full. Most items (until we really get into the holidays and start getting random gift sets and sh*t) will have main locations in the aisles and then will be displayed on end caps as well. For example, right now you probably have an end cap of Tampax and Always, and those items are also down an "A" aisle with the other feminine care products. You can also always scan the barcode of the shelf or item to find out the other location. Pull form the home location if you have to, to make sure the end cap is full. If the home location is empty, "flex" something of the same idea (i.e., Always Ultra Thin for Always Regular Thin) as long as it's the same price or a little lower. You ALWAYS want the end cap to look beautiful and full-- both back and front end caps.

In addition, you want no product on the floor (no brainer, but you'd be surprised), and nothing on the base decks. In some aisles (hair accessories is a good example), you'll spend forever if you try to put everything exactly where it belongs. Unless you're specifically instructed to "super zone" OR you definitely have a good chunk of time (don't over-estimate), just pick that sh*t up and put it on the closest hooks. Don't worry about where it goes. Just get it off the base deck.

And then just pull items forward. You want the diamonds on the shelves to be covered, and the aisle to look like "glass" when you look down it. Don't zone slow and sweet.... you haul a** from the start, and if you have extra time, then you get to slow down and go back to anything you may have half a**ed. Use two hands to pull products forward, so you're pulling left, right, left, right, all at the same time.

Main points:
-If nothing else: end caps!
-Product off the floor
-Product off the base decks
-a "quick zone" means end caps and first four feet, a regular zone is touching everything (we say "hands on everything"), and a "super zone" is actually making sure everything goes back in it's exact spot. Usually only super zones are done when there's going to be a visit.

Good luck!! You'll get it soon enough.
Just remember, keep responding to back up calls, calls to the sales floor, etc. They do notice the second someone seems to be avoiding them, and it looks terrible. Even if you're first to respond a couple times, they'll think of that right away if you're not able to finish all of your work-- they'll go "well he/she DID respond to a lot of calls...".

You really will get faster as time goes on. Everyone develops their own method, and every store is a little different. I've covered at a handful of stores and I can say that I've had to alter how I do my zone based on the little differences in the stores... but you eventually figure it out.

Things I didn't change from store to store:

End caps are always your number one priority. Even if the entire aisle has to look like complete shit, make the end cap look beautiful. It only takes a second, and makes a world of difference to the guests and to the ETLs. Pull from the home location to make the end caps fairly full. Most items (until we really get into the holidays and start getting random gift sets and sh*t) will have main locations in the aisles and then will be displayed on end caps as well. For example, right now you probably have an end cap of Tampax and Always, and those items are also down an "A" aisle with the other feminine care products. You can also always scan the barcode of the shelf or item to find out the other location. Pull form the home location if you have to, to make sure the end cap is full. If the home location is empty, "flex" something of the same idea (i.e., Always Ultra Thin for Always Regular Thin) as long as it's the same price or a little lower. You ALWAYS want the end cap to look beautiful and full-- both back and front end caps.

In addition, you want no product on the floor (no brainer, but you'd be surprised), and nothing on the base decks. In some aisles (hair accessories is a good example), you'll spend forever if you try to put everything exactly where it belongs. Unless you're specifically instructed to "super zone" OR you definitely have a good chunk of time (don't over-estimate), just pick that sh*t up and put it on the closest hooks. Don't worry about where it goes. Just get it off the base deck.

And then just pull items forward. You want the diamonds on the shelves to be covered, and the aisle to look like "glass" when you look down it. Don't zone slow and sweet.... you haul a** from the start, and if you have extra time, then you get to slow down and go back to anything you may have half a**ed. Use two hands to pull products forward, so you're pulling left, right, left, right, all at the same time.

Main points:
-If nothing else: end caps!
-Product off the floor
-Product off the base decks
-a "quick zone" means end caps and first four feet, a regular zone is touching everything (we say "hands on everything"), and a "super zone" is actually making sure everything goes back in it's exact spot. Usually only super zones are done when there's going to be a visit.

Good luck!! You'll get it soon enough.
Just remember, keep responding to back up calls, calls to the sales floor, etc. They do notice the second someone seems to be avoiding them, and it looks terrible. Even if you're first to respond a couple times, they'll think of that right away if you're not able to finish all of your work-- they'll go "well he/she DID respond to a lot of calls...".

Thanks for all your replies.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by first four feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back