Archived 18 or graduate HS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
just wondering what everyone’s store policy is and if anyone knows the official Target policy on when people can be trained on the wave/use the baler/stay past 9:45. I’ve been told different things by different ETLs/TLs at my store and I feel like no one really knows the true answer.
To be trained on the wave/baler, do you just need to be 18 years old? Or do you need to have graduated high school?
Same goes for staying past 9:45 - just need to be 18? Or do you need to be done with HS?
Thanks.

18 actual years old for most things but there are things that you can’t do even if you are 18 if you are still in high school if that makes sense

18 actual years old for most things but there are things that you can’t do even if you are 18 if you are still in high school if that makes sense
What in specific? I’m just looking to get trained on the wave mostly, since I do a lot of stuff in the backrook. My birthdays later in the week.

At my store it's you're still a minor if in highschool, can't stay past 9:45. 18 year olds in school though will still use baler at least.

State laws dictate what you can and can’t do at 18. You can’t work past 9:45 (here at least) if you’re a high school student. (True story: a neighboring store has a 21 y/o who is a high school junior, not passing some lower grades. He can’t work past 9:45, despite being legally allowed to buy alcohol as he’s leaving. Lol)

Using the wave, baler, etc. is more so your store’s ETL team getting around to training you once you’re 18.

Last edited:
Some states have labor laws regarding people in high school so I’m pretty sure the company’s policy nation wide regarding time is 9:30/45. However, you can be certified on machinery if you are 18 but still in school.

Must be 18 to operate machinery, sell alcohol or work past 9:45 (if HS grad) in my state.

Throwing this in here since it came up yesterday at my store: HR best practice (company-wide) says that TMs should be keyed as a minor for scheduling purposes as long as they are either under 18 or still in HS. However, this isn't automatic and should be keyed by the HR team if the need arises.
For non-scheduling purposes, TMs are no longer minors once over 18 (e.g. balers/equipment)

at my store mTMs are every TM that is still in high school or under 18. If they are over 18 but still in high school, they can come the backroom and backstock or pull items for autofills, guests, or OPUs, and throw their trash, but can't use the ladder, push the button on the bale, or use wave, crown, power jack. Not sure about the pallet jack.

I was 17 when I graduated high school and was then allowed to close and open because i was considered an “emancipated minor” by target since I wasn’t in school. But still couldn’t use any machinery

In California you must be at least 18 to use power equipment, with or without a high school diploma. Also, to stay past 9:30 you must be at least 18 AND have a HS diploma. If you graduate before you're 18, you can work full time but no later than 9:30 and no more than 7.5 hrs shifts. If I remember correctly, 18 yr olds still in high school need some kind of waiver to bypass some time restrictions.

Also, to stay past 9:30 you must be at least 18 AND have a HS diploma.

Isn't this kind of a shitty policy? Plenty of people don't have HS diplomas are plenty capable of working past 9:30.

My day job company started enforcing a HS diploma policy about a decade ago, and it really sucked for all the Somali refugees working in the print shop who had been there for years but either didn't have the equivalent of a HS diploma or, if they did, couldn't prove it because (oddly enough) they didn't think to grab that bit of paperwork when fleeing their war-torn country.

I'm not a fan of requiring any kind of diploma or degree as long as people can do the job. Plenty of classist BS wrapped up in formal educational expectations in this country.

Isn't this kind of a shitty policy? Plenty of people don't have HS diplomas are plenty capable of working past 9:30.

My day job company started enforcing a HS diploma policy about a decade ago, and it really sucked for all the Somali refugees working in the print shop who had been there for years but either didn't have the equivalent of a HS diploma or, if they did, couldn't prove it because (oddly enough) they didn't think to grab that bit of paperwork when fleeing their war-torn country.

I'm not a fan of requiring any kind of diploma or degree as long as people can do the job. Plenty of classist BS wrapped up in formal educational expectations in this country.

A high school diploma does not get you into the elite circles. LOL Geez.

just wondering what everyone’s store policy is and if anyone knows the official Target policy on when people can be trained on the wave/use the baler/stay past 9:45. I’ve been told different things by different ETLs/TLs at my store and I feel like no one really knows the true answer.
To be trained on the wave/baler, do you just need to be 18 years old? Or do you need to have graduated high school?
Same goes for staying past 9:45 - just need to be 18? Or do you need to be done with HS?
Thanks.
So here is out it goes I’m not sure what exactly you do in the backroom, because obviously you are not a backroom team member . If you are a minor you can not work past 9:45 , and that also goes for working as a backroom tm. You need to be 18 to work in the backroom and that’s because of the use of all the power equipment

You need to be at least 18 years old to use powered equipment. You do not have to be a high school graduate.
I laughed way harder at this than I should have. A basic level of education should be required

At a state level, I'm sure there's a clause somewhere in employment guidelines that differentiates young people on a traditional educational path that recently turned 18 from others that are +18 without a GED/HS diploma. They're not gonna restrict a 30 yr old from working full time/late shift just because they dropped out of school.

A high school diploma does not get you into the elite circles. LOL Geez.

When did I say that it did? A lack of one doesn't mean you're not fit to hold a job, as many employers seem to think, which is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back