Archived 1st 2 shifts complete-a few observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KLC391

So I worked yesterday and today and overall it went well and I liked 80% of what I did (I do SFS). There were a few things I thought were odd.

Training-Very limited. After only a short amount of time I was left alone to complete the ship today orders, fill flex orders and work on pick today/ship tomorrow orders. It went fine, but I thought just throwing a brand new employee in so soon was a little strange.

Management-Not really very visible. I had no idea who was in charge of any area or the whole store. I thought I might have to do some computer training and I could ask about requesting days off or how to sign up for direct deposit. I figured out how to request days off and I’ll ask about direct deposit next shift. I was also told by a former target employee about some website that target employees can use to buy discounted gift cards (other places not target) so I am really curious if that is accurate. I also never got a name tag, which doesn’t bother me but I am assuming I should have one.

Operations-some things I wish were a little more streamlined, specifically filling flex orders. I was told SFS orders had to be done by 4 but it was pretty impossible when flexible orders kept coming up. I really wish there was a program that allowed you to print out sticker slips with customer name/order number/bar code etc that you could just print out/scan rather than writing out slips for orders. (I completely messed up the slip writing by forgetting to write the info down before scanning and then couldn’t get the info back-I went and found the manager so I could tell them of my mistake and he was cool with it but the service area lady was irate at me. I won’t make that mistake again).

Storeroom-What a mess! There is stuff everywhere! A few things I couldn’t find could easily have been in carts or boxes out back.

RDIF scanner-That thing is great! I found a bunch of clothes that I thought I’d have to say I couldn’t find. (I also love the tape machine thing.).

So overall it was a successful first 2 shifts. I really like doing SFS and I am psyched that target doesn’t offer gift wrapping for SFS orders.

Yeah, Spot's training is rather piss poor. SFS is extremely overwhelming at first, it gets better with time. I believe using the hip printers to print labels again will happen eventually, it used to work that way but they couldn't get it working in time for Move to launch for Q4 so the hand-written labels were the "temporary" fix.

There is SFS(ship from store) and Flex orders(store pick up) the flex orders will drop open til close SFS are done for my store at 1pm and you have until 2pm to pick them and until 4pm to have them packed and ready for UPS/Fed-ex. Rush orders can drop at pretty much any time those need to picked and packed ASAP.

The stockrooms used to not be a clusterfuck, but as spot has gone to a "guest centric" model everything else has been left at the wayside = they no longer actually care if we can find stuff to you know sell it. Just sell sell sell!!! Don't sweat what you can't find, just be able to say you looked in all the places they want you to look.

The training is shockingly bad, for a flagship product as ship from store is, is shocking. And gift wrap? Spot would fail at that so hard, we can't even train people to pack stuff so it doesn't leak or arrive smashed. Common sense does not exist at least at my store.

Yeah, Spot's training is rather piss poor. SFS is extremely overwhelming at first, it gets better with time. I believe using the hip printers to print labels again will happen eventually, it used to work that way but they couldn't get it working in time for Move to launch for Q4 so the hand-written labels were the "temporary" fix.

That’s interesting that they used to use printers for labeling flex orders. I hope that does happen again. I didn’t find the SFS process overwhelming at all, I became more frustrated at having to stop what I was doing ever couple of minutes to go fill a flex order. I was just wishing they had a dedicated flex person so the SFS deadlines could be met.

Writing out slips for orders? What are you writing? In all the S4S shifts I've done I've never had to write anything. Edit: NVM you're talking about the slip for flexibles. It was slightly easier when the printers printed the little slip but stupid that it printed one for every single item. No need to stick a sticker on every item. During back to school you'll get that teacher that orders 50 packs of crayons, no need for 50 stickers. Writing the label now was annoying at first, but it only takes about 15 seconds and you only have to write as many labels as you have bags. So it's not so bad since it's not for every item

Orders have to be done by 4 because UPS will be there shortly after. At a certain time orders for that day will stop and then anything that drops after will be for the next day. If you have a lot to pack and you and the other S4S member (if you have two working) can't get it all done in time you'll need to call the LOD to come back and help or they'll get you help

Last edited:
Writing out slips for orders? What are you writing? In all the S4S shifts I've done I've never had to write anything. Edit: NVM you're talking about the slip for flexibles. It was slightly easier when the printers printed the little slip but stupid that it printed one for every single item. No need to stick a sticker on every item. During back to school you'll get that teacher that orders 50 packs of crayons, no need for 50 stickers. Writing the label now was annoying at first, but it only takes about 15 seconds and you only have to write as many labels as you have bags. So it's not so bad since it's not for every item

Orders have to be done by 4 because UPS will be there shortly after. At a certain time orders for that day will stop and then anything that drops after will be for the next day. If you have a lot to pack and you and the other S4S member (if you have two working) can't get it all done in time you'll need to call the LOD to come back and help or they'll get you help

Oh man, slips for every item would be ridiculous. I was thinking for each bag. I guess I won't fret about writing out the slips. I just need to remember to write the info first before scanning it. I think now that I have made that mistake, I won't make it again.

A lot of the training comes down to learning on the job. I remember one night where we had a total of 5 people to run the massive store and no-one to do OPU. I basically trained myself on it. (Not a huge stretch since I'm already E2E) Glad you are liking it though! The non-presence of leadership is a bit alarming, especially since they are supposed to check up on recent hires. Never hesitate to ask another TM for help. 9/10 times, they are cross-trained in other departments and know the system.
And yes, that RFID scanner is amazing! I remember one night where they were all not working and it took me 20 minutes to locate a pair of size 10 women's shoes.

A lot of the training comes down to learning on the job. I remember one night where we had a total of 5 people to run the massive store and no-one to do OPU. I basically trained myself on it. (Not a huge stretch since I'm already E2E) Glad you are liking it though! The non-presence of leadership is a bit alarming, especially since they are supposed to check up on recent hires. Never hesitate to ask another TM for help. 9/10 times, they are cross-trained in other departments and know the system.
And yes, that RFID scanner is amazing! I remember one night where they were all not working and it took me 20 minutes to locate a pair of size 10 women's shoes.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that no member of management came to check up on how I was doing. I had a few questions so just asked whatever person in a red shirt was around. They were all super helpful. Luckily most of my orders went smoothly and I didn't have too many questions. I love doing SFS, the flexible orders weren't hard, they were just more of an annoyance when I was trying to get other stuff done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back