MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
With this system they are really going to need to hire better people for some of the teams in my store. Pricing got split up between softlines and hardlines a few months ago. Before 2-3 people could get the entire stores pricing done in about 8 hours and start the next days. Now hardlines gets done by the old team in about half the time but softlines needs about 3-4 people to just get their sections done for the day.

In our store we had our market team doing their own pulls, push and backstock. Most of the time they pulls would end up being done by the backroom and truck push would still be there the next day. So we have recently gone back to backroom doing everything food related except for the freezers and coolers because the market team sucked and couldn't get their own work done.

So when this gets implemented at my store they are either going to do a hybrid system like they are doing now with E2E or they are going to need to start from scratch with the specialty teams because the ones they have now suck.

You’re right. We might as well just all complain about everything and say the only solution is more payroll. Let’s not listen to anyone that says that modernization can work but you have to be even more radical than what the company is saying. Let’s just say they’re corporate shills and continue complaining and sticking to our old ways. Then next year we’re even further behind when the next wave of modernization rolls out.

Consider me done posting here. Have fun with the changes.

Promoted as a Flow TL, losing my team in a year.

That’s good to know.

85% of my team are the hardest working TMs in my store. They get 16 hours per week.

4 fucking hours per day.

It’s a damn joke when I compare their hours to other TMs in the store. When I make that schedule, I’m wondering how the slowest TMs in other workcenters get 30+ hours.

This is why I avoided becoming a TL, so I don’t have to see everything. Sickens me I have to rely on other teams to help us finish our trucks because I can’t get shit done with my team.

We are ulv. Our flow team gets 16-20 hours in flow, then more hours as cashier, pog, or sfs. Our pog team has shrunk to only 3, so we set all day and the flow team comes behind and stocks it. Works pretty well. The slow ones move to cashier.

You're right. I keep forgetting that E2E fell flat and was somewhat implemented everywhere. I expect headcounts to be nuked company wide but as per usual, I expect planogram team to survive.
My pog team is 3 and I just don’t see how they can operate without us. We already do mmb. With electronics just standing at the boat pushing sales, there’s no way they’ll get pogs set. I am guessing what’s left of my pog team will just get scheduled in each different area when each area has pogs due.

Come on - we're all associates here!

CsyuXod.gif

You’re right. We might as well just all complain about everything and say the only solution is more payroll. Let’s not listen to anyone that says that modernization can work but you have to be even more radical than what the company is saying. Let’s just say they’re corporate shills and continue complaining and sticking to our old ways. Then next year we’re even further behind when the next wave of modernization rolls out.

I've learned to tune out the know-it-all TMs on here. When it comes down to it, stores can be successful with end-to-end and stores can be successful doing it the old way, but there will always be too many floundering stores for one reason: that store's leadership. Target does not put enough effort or resourses into leadership development. Stores are failing end-to-end not because it doesn't work, but because their leadership is weak. Stores that fail to implement store modernization will not fail because it doesn't work, because it will, but because their leadership is weak.

What I'm saying is this. A person whom worked at fye being called an expert in electronics over the person who had been there for multiple years is nonsense to me. Being there for 3 years has given me experience with electronics and what not. Working at fye, that sells dvds, pops, and music doesn't mean you know more about tv's or iPad or sound systems then the person that has been with that stuff for many years.
They are not called experts. They are consultants. The only people with expert in their title are General Merchandise. If you are hung up on titles. Which you seem to be.

You're welcome?

I simply find it funny that someone, an ETL, who gets bonuses and gets paid much more than the average TL wants to give the same repetetive lecture about being flexible. Some of us know crap when we see it and are willing to call it what it is.

Trust me, as someone who knows from experience, ETLs do not get paid that much more than TLs.

I've learned to tune out the know-it-all TMs on here. When it comes down to it, stores can be successful with end-to-end and stores can be successful doing it the old way, but there will always be too many floundering stores for one reason: that store's leadership. Target does not put enough effort or resourses into leadership development. Stores are failing end-to-end not because it doesn't work, but because their leadership is weak. Stores that fail to implement store modernization will not fail because it doesn't work, because it will, but because their leadership is weak.

Not a know it all TM, but if that's your opinion then you certainly are entitled to it.

You're right, it's not because the process is bad. It's the team.

They are not called experts. They are consultants. The only people with expert in their title are General Merchandise. If you are hung up on titles. Which you seem to be.

Expert would sound better on a job application though:}

As much as the company seems to be pushing this store modernization I would not be surprised if it falls flat really. I have been at Target long enough to see they really have no long term goals other then making money and perhaps consolidating work roles when they can. I can remember when the Vibe was talked about like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread then a few years it was gone and everyone acted like it never happened. If this store modernization does not work out within the next year they will just come up with a new better way of doing things. It all comes down to the $$ that will truly judge how far this goes company wide.

I think we can survive without plano. Instead of setting 8 housewares/toys/storage/domestics.... salesplanners, you set 32' of inline. All have backer paper, fixtures, and so on. The team is not as critical as they are being made out.

Let's just say (in theory) that part of Target's "Retail Evolution" would be to eliminate POGs completely, hence no Plano Team. Let's just say (in theory) that if we have "experts" in each department; they know their product/merchandise so well.... they know when to fill tee-shirt, fill socks/basics, fill the gadget wall, fill boxed dinnerware sets, fill dvds, etc...
I worked in department stores before I came to Target, and there were NO planograms, period. Product/Merchandise had a "home", so to speak, whether it's an aisle or a table, or a wall. But it wasn't locked into an "official" location. Also..... there was NO backroom "locations" for product. You just knew what you had in the backroom. Sounds ridiculous, right? It can be done; and it works.
We are just accustomed to "one way" of doing things. We feel like we can't function unless it's done that "one way". I think @sigma7 is emphasizing that there is another way to do things; and it requires change and open-mindedness from EVERYONE.

I truly believe that this modernization process can work. My only complaint is the stock levels vs salesfloor sq. footage is waaaaaaaaay off. We have far too much backstock; it's tying up our profitability.

Not a know it all TM, but if that's your opinion then you certainly are entitled to it.

You're right, it's not because the process is bad. It's the team.
So you think the stores making it work are waving their magic wand to make everything ok? They make it work because of better leadership, plain and simple. The people that come on here and constantly complain about how bad Target is and nothing ever works are from stores with poor leadership. I've been using E2E methods long before it rolled out at Target and it makes everything more efficient. No task at Target requires a degree in rocket science.

So you think the stores making it work are waving their magic wand to make everything ok? They make it work because of better leadership, plain and simple. The people that come on here and constantly complain about how bad Target is and nothing ever works are from stores with poor leadership. I've been using E2E methods long before it rolled out at Target and it makes everything more efficient. No task at Target requires a degree in rocket science.
Lazy and simplistic train of thought.

I've done Plano and it's not hard, but it can be a lot of work in specific areas and during big sets. (Looking at you paper wall with your ridiculously deep shelves.) Anyway, some of the things corp does with aisles seems useless...does it really matter what side of the aisle detergent is on? Apparently yes because we had it all switch place once.

If they would send revisions more for all areas I think it would make more sense than these sweeping do overs and would be easier to maintain and faster to do. But how does seasonal get set by a tiny team dedicated to that area? It is always an overnight, all hands on deck situation for us now. I guess if expectations change and it can roll out over a few days it would be doable.

I'm not against the new direction at all. As consumers shopping habits have changed I can understand Target trying to make changes that will make shopping in the stores better and they seem to think mini stores in the store is the way to go. Interesting. I guess time will tell.

I wish I could change my vote to "I don't know," because the truth is, I won't until it rolls out and I see how it shakes out. Change is change, and it's here so all any of us in test districts can do is adjust or move on. That said, @SrTLall hit the nail on the head (however unintentionally) with the post about poor leadership. That's why my first response was a resounding "dislike." I don't have faith in a significant percentage of my leadership's ability to execute this well. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm revising my resume in case I'm not.

As we all move forward it will be interesting to see how different stores/store cultures respond to the changes.

Let's just say (in theory) that part of Target's "Retail Evolution" would be to eliminate POGs completely, hence no Plano Team. Let's just say (in theory) that if we have "experts" in each department; they know their product/merchandise so well.... they know when to fill tee-shirt, fill socks/basics, fill the gadget wall, fill boxed dinnerware sets, fill dvds, etc...
I worked in department stores before I came to Target, and there were NO planograms, period. Product/Merchandise had a "home", so to speak, whether it's an aisle or a table, or a wall. But it wasn't locked into an "official" location. Also..... there was NO backroom "locations" for product. You just knew what you had in the backroom. Sounds ridiculous, right? It can be done; and it works.
We are just accustomed to "one way" of doing things. We feel like we can't function unless it's done that "one way". I think @sigma7 is emphasizing that there is another way to do things; and it requires change and open-mindedness from EVERYONE.

I truly believe that this modernization process can work. My only complaint is the stock levels vs salesfloor sq. footage is waaaaaaaaay off. We have far too much backstock; it's tying up our profitability.

Currently, there is far too much product in the back for anyone to "just know" it's back there. I can't believe how much excess product Targets keep in their backroom, and how much time and effort goes into managing it. It's like having a second store, that just doesn't get shopped. No place I've worked at, has as much back stock as we do.

Currently, there is far too much product in the back for anyone to "just know" it's back there. I can't believe how much excess product Targets keep in their backroom, and how much time and effort goes into managing it. It's like having a second store, that just doesn't get shopped. No place I've worked at, has as much back stock as we do.

We must work in the same store, lol. We could open up another Target store in the parking lot which carried only softlines. #endtoendsucks. #hiretms, #firesoftlinestl

Back